IGNORED

Anyone play a seven wood?

Note: This thread is 1968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, Jmdmbike said:

how many irons do you carry with this set up? must start with a 9 iron? I've owned a couple 7 woods @ 21 degrees,  but prefer my hybrid. whatever works..... 

Well depends but if packing all woods (i. E + a 3 and 5 though don't have a driver - use a mini driver sometimes )  then maybe a midish iron for chipping and a pitch iron (use v open if necessary to increase loft) 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:13 PM, SG11118 said:

I play one off and on.  Haven't had one in the bag this year, but had one in it the last two years.  If I get my tee ball in the appropriate spots, I have a couple of holes at my home course that call for high shots of 200-215 yards, and the 7W worked good for that.  This year I figured I'd sacrifice the ability to make that shot for other needs. 

My seven wood went back in my bag Monday.  Had several 190-200 yard shots over a bunker on Saturday and Sunday, and didn't have a club in my bag that could clear the bunker.  I removed my 3 hybrid on Monday to make room for the 7W, but think I might have to reassess that and take the 3W out instead.  My 3W and 5W go too similar of distances to need both of them.   

John

It's my 190 or so club. i suck at golf so I'm leaving it at that. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When I first started playing, I had the same setup as @WUTiger.  Eventually I switched to a 4w and 3h as I found it more versatile out of rough.  I almost never hit a fairway wood out of anything but the fairway or tee box

I always felt it was the most forgiving club I had and it was some knock off and I cannot even remember the name of the club

@Brian Wand I will give you real-time feedback on this following our TST Fall Round together at Stonewolf CC in Fairview Heights, IL. We'll solicit opinions from the rest of the local TST crew.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I have a cobra amp cell 5-7 wood. It is set on 6 wood.

I can hit it high 210 yards off of a tee, and, it lands like a sack of potatoes.

Or, hit it regular and carry 225 off a tee.

From the fairway it goes 215-220.

It is a real versatile club.

I bought it new, for $45 on Ebay.

Jack

6 hours ago, Jackal66 said:

I have a cobra amp cell 5-7 wood. It is set on 6 wood.

I can hit it high 210 yards off of a tee, and, it lands like a sack of potatoes.

Or, hit it regular and carry 225 off a tee.

From the fairway it goes 215-220.

It is a real versatile club.

I bought it new, for $45 on Ebay.

Good for you!!  I have the driver, 4w, and 3h of that club.  I have hit some other clubs and feel like getting the itch to buy something new but those clubs swing so well I haven't been able to get away from them yet

• Upvote 1

Years ago I had a Goldwin, Magnificent Seven 7 wood and really loved it.....then someone stole my clubs at the Seattle airport.  Now I just use a 3 iron and am pretty happy with the distance gaps in my clubs.

In my bag: Cobra Bio Cell 10.5º driver ;  Cobra Bio Cell 3w;  Mizuno MP H4 3 - PW;  Mizuno MP T4 52º GW, 56º SW, 60º LW
Favorite ball Titleist Pro-V
One HIO....LUCK.

I have a small collection of Ben Hogan Speed Slot woods. Occasionally I might throw the 7W in the bag, but usually opt for a hybrid. I also use the 5 wood frequently. I've never gone higher than a seven however.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

My wife carries a 7-wood, I do sometimes.

Somebody on this site I think carries a fairway wood that replaces a PW... That's more in my "Longest Iron In Your Bag and Why thread?"

Alina plays a seven-wood too, when she drags mine around she drags around my 9w.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I can't imagine a 7 wood being easier to hit than my short stubby-style 3h. The one that has a more shallow back. 200-205 yards and lands very soft.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

7 hours ago, jkelley9 said:

I can't imagine a 7 wood being easier to hit than my short stubby-style 3h. The one that has a more shallow back. 200-205 yards and lands very soft.

I think it is going to come down to what looks and plays the best for the individual's swing.  I just can't seem to get on with hybrids but woods always go pretty much where I want them to.  Maybe I just need to try out even more clubs! 

Adam

:ping: G30 Driver 

:callaway: XR16 3W
:callaway: Big Bertha 5W
:ping: S55 4-W 
:ping: 50' , 56', 60' Glide Wedge
:odyssey: White Hot #7 Putter

On 9/11/2016 at 10:17 PM, onthehunt526 said:

Somebody on this site I think carries a fairway wood that replaces a PW... That's more in my "Longest Iron In Your Bag and Why thread?"

That would be me.  I have Bang SF series fairway woods from 2 wood all the way down to 19 wood.  They make a 21 wood as well to replace a sand wedge.  

• Upvote 1

I messed around with one... They do land like a sack of potatoes.

38 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I have an old Titleist 904 7-wood. It might as well be a 42 inch sand wedge.... I hit just strait up moon balls with that thing..

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I'm thinking of getting a 7w after reading this thread. I'm playing with a 12* driver, an 18* 5w and have been struggling with getting a 3w (which I struggle to hit well) or a hybrid (which I have never even tried to hit) to round out my woods. I'm now thinking 21* 7w is on the shopping list...feed the addiction. 

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Note: This thread is 1968 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!