IGNORED

What is your birdie conversion rate from GIR?

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

14 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I try my damndest to avoid girs and go for ngirs as referenced in Lowest Score Wins book. A gir just guarantees a three putt. A ngir means I might chip in for birdie or hit a wedge in tight enough to make a putt for par! I wish I was joking but its a sad truth.

Today prime example: 2 gir, three putted them both for the only three putts of the day. As usual

Good to hear you're beating balls again bud.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Gunther said:

Good to hear you're beating balls again bud.

Thanks! Shoulder seems to have had some kind of miraculous recovery. 3-4 days of massive pain and arm in a sling, then woke up just fine. Its weird, but Ill take it!!

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

You don't think most pros score at or below par most of the time? The only reason I say "most" is because pro also includes range pro's who don't really play or are not really that good but just declare themselves a pro.

Nope. Let's take the latest - the Barclays - and look how many players that made the cut scored above par on the final.

http://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/the-barclays/leaderboard.html

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

Nope. Let's take the latest - the Barclays - and look how many players that made the cut scored above par on the final.

The course rating was not the same as par.

Yet on most typical courses - not PGA Tour playoff courses - the two numbers are fairly close.

@gregsandiego, what are you asking, then, and is it on topic?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

The course rating was not the same as par.

Yet on most typical courses - not PGA Tour playoff courses - the two numbers are fairly close.

@gregsandiego, what are you asking, then, and is it on topic?

I was about to ask what the birdie conversion rate was at the Barclays, to you know, get back on topic !:beer:

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

13.5% per my limited number of GG rounds.  Although one of my GG birdies was a chip in, so slightly less that 13.5%.

John

Going off my Arccos stats, I have 61.9% GIR and 14.5% Birdies, so my conversion would be a 23.4% which is actually higher than I was expecting....golf is easy I guess...hahah!

I would average maybe one birdie a round at best these days since I am only playing weekends, and mostly not even every weekend.  When I was playing more regularly, between 1 and 3 birdies a round depending on the day.  Overall, I would say a low percentage but I rarely keep stats on GIR and birdies.  The maximum is in tournaments when I tend to keep score but having turned in the card I never keep the data.  Should start doing that.  Would assume GIR of maybe 50% at present and maybe 10% at best for GIR to birdie.  Handicap is low double digits though have not updated it in my home club since rarely play there these days

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

I don't track any of my stats but I'm sure my birdie conversion is poor.  I very rarely get more than 1 birdie a round and most rounds I go birdieless.  I think I'm not that bad at putting though oddly, I seem to be able to 1-2 putt a lot of the time.  The missed GIRs is what wrecks me.  Anyway, I'll have to get on one of these stat tracker programs sometime since it looks like it could be handy.

• 1 month later...

Earlier when I posted, I figured I didn't really make that many birdies.  However, I've tracked GIR/Birdies for the last 15 rounds.  Ony had 1 round out of the 15 that I didn't make at least one birdie (7 out of the 15 having multiple birdies).

Last  15 - GIR (48%) and a Birdie Conversion (21%).

And going just on my last three rounds, I'm at 46% GIR and a Birdie Conversion of 36%.  Hitting 25 GIR and making 8 birdies and an eagle.  

So I make a lot more than I thought, just need to hit more greens.  :-)

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I get about 10%birdie rate

IMG_0724.PNG

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

14 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I get about 10%birdie rate

IMG_0724.PNG

I have a similar birdie percentage per 18 holes (10.37%) over the last 15 rounds.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Admittedly the amount of data points is limited.  Based on the responses excluding the guestimates and tossing out the high & low, here is what I see:

Handicap        Birdie Conversion %

+1 to 7                   13% to 20%

8 to 20                     8% to 11%

There is a fairly obvious relation of handicap to conversion with a few outliers where a somewhat higher handicapper converts at a percentage beyond what one might expect.

• Upvote 1

Brian Kuehn

• Administrator
1 hour ago, jsgolfer said:

I have a similar birdie percentage per 18 holes (10.37%) over the last 15 rounds.

Remember, @jsgolfer and @saevel25, the question is per GIR.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

Remember, @jsgolfer and @saevel25, the question is per GIR.

I think I chipped in twice this past year?. You know my short game. I'm not making birdies with out a GIR. ?

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I think I chipped in twice this past year?. You know my short game. I'm not making birdies with out a GIR. ?

Right… so you can't just look at your raw scoring and say 10% if you only hit 60% of your greens. 10% is only accurate if you hit all of the greens.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2691 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!