Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
14ledo81

Kaepernick Sits for National Anthem

421 posts / 26421 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

Curious what everybody thinks of this.

I support his right to do so.  

A couple of things though. 

  1) Could he have picked a better way to voice his point that is not a slap in the face to all those that have served and/or died for the flag?

2) If he can't support the US of A, maybe he should become a citizen of a different country?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

1) Could he have picked a better way to voice his point that is not a slap in the face to all those that have served and/or died for the flag

I have no issue with it. 

Also, just because you sit down for the national anthem, as a form of freedom of speech and protest, doesn't mean you are disrespecting those in the military. 

9 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

2) If he can't support the US of A, maybe he should become a citizen of a different country?

Who says he's not supportive of the USA? 

Just because he's using this as a way to protest doesn't mean he's anti-America. 

Protesting, in any non-violent form, is in fact being American. You might not like it, but he has a right to do it.  You can disagree with this stance on black lives matter, or his views on our government, but he has just as much right as you do to protest it. 

2 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Piece of crap.

Well you added to the conversation :doh:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

DJ INT (props to Colin Cowherd) is the gift that keeps on giving.  How clue-free does one have to be to stage a miniature sit-in at the start of a pre-season football game?  Kaepernick has the money and time to support whoever and whatever he would like to.  He can use his celebrity to promote education, exercise, nutrition, literacy, health care, community service, spiritual growth, hair products, etc...but no...he would rather sit on his ass, at a game no one gives a tinker's damn about, while the national anthem is performed.  That's great, guy.  That lots of people have a much tougher time than I do would have slipped my mind entirely if you hadn't been sitting on your butt during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.  Know what, guy?  I don't care for the song that much myself; but I stand up, and I take off my hat, and I put my hand over my heart, and I listen...out of respect.  Respect is the face our private virtue wears...when it's out in public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

 

Well you added to the conversation :doh:

The OP asked what I thought.  I replied.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

43 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I have no issue with it. 

Also, just because you sit down for the national anthem, as a form of freedom of speech and protest, doesn't mean you are disrespecting those in the military. 

Who says he's not supportive of the USA? 

Just because he's using this as a way to protest doesn't mean he's anti-America. 

Protesting, in any non-violent form, is in fact being American. You might not like it, but he has a right to do it.  You can disagree with this stance on black lives matter, or his views on our government, but he has just as much right as you do to protest it. 

Great post. A nation's anthem is nothing more than an advertising jingle and should never be held in higher regard than what it is supposed to represent. Same with a flag, without the morals, values and ideals it represents, it is no more important than a coca-cola sign. Care more about the people and less about the brand. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think hes a douchebag.  Disrespecting the flag isnt helping any cause. This country gives him the opportunity to play football. If he doesnt respect the flag then he can always leave country. His issues are more than this though. His career wont be long in nfl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my point of view, he exercised his Constitutionally protected right to protest something he believes strongly about. There's almost nothing more American than taking action against civil injustice.

1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

Could he have picked a better way to voice his point that is not a slap in the face to all those that have served and/or died for the flag?

Please explain to me how sitting for the national anthem is a slap in the face to those who have served/died for the flag. I've read this from many sources and I just don't understand it.

1 hour ago, 14ledo81 said:

If he can't support the US of A, maybe he should become a citizen of a different country?

Where does he say he's not supportive of the USA? He's trying to bring awareness to an issue he perceives as a problem in this country; is it wrong for him to try to make the country a better place in his eyes?

8 minutes ago, Piz said:

He can use his celebrity to promote education, exercise, nutrition, literacy, health care, community service, spiritual growth, hair products, etc...but no...he would rather sit on his ass, at a game no one gives a tinker's damn about, while the national anthem is performed.

Are you suggesting the reason for his protest is not valid, or just his method? The way I see it, he made his protest in the most relevant way possible, given who he is: at a football game because he is known for being football player, and during the national anthem which would be the only appropriate time during a football game to make a political statement about the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I have no issue with it. 

Also, just because you sit down for the national anthem, as a form of freedom of speech and protest, doesn't mean you are disrespecting those in the military. 

Who says he's not supportive of the USA? 

Just because he's using this as a way to protest doesn't mean he's anti-America. 

Protesting, in any non-violent form, is in fact being American. You might not like it, but he has a right to do it.  You can disagree with this stance on black lives matter, or his views on our government, but he has just as much right as you do to protest it. 

Well you added to the conversation :doh:

 

 

27 minutes ago, billchao said:

From my point of view, he exercised his Constitutionally protected right to protest something he believes strongly about. There's almost nothing more American than taking action against civil injustice.

Please explain to me how sitting for the national anthem is a slap in the face to those who have served/died for the flag. I've read this from many sources and I just don't understand it.

Where does he say he's not supportive of the USA? He's trying to bring awareness to an issue he perceives as a problem in this country; is it wrong for him to try to make the country a better place in his eyes?

Are you suggesting the reason for his protest is not valid, or just his method? The way I see it, he made his protest in the most relevant way possible, given who he is: at a football game because he is known for being football player, and during the national anthem which would be the only appropriate time during a football game to make a political statement about the country.

Yup and yup.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I thought we weren't supposed to be so sensitive to and offended by everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

I have no issue with it. 

Also, just because you sit down for the national anthem, as a form of freedom of speech and protest, doesn't mean you are disrespecting those in the military. 

Who says he's not supportive of the USA? 

Just because he's using this as a way to protest doesn't mean he's anti-America. 

Protesting, in any non-violent form, is in fact being American. You might not like it, but he has a right to do it.  You can disagree with this stance on black lives matter, or his views on our government, but he has just as much right as you do to protest it. 

Well you added to the conversation :doh:

 

Did you read my statement about supporting his right to do so?

37 minutes ago, billchao said:

From my point of view, he exercised his Constitutionally protected right to protest something he believes strongly about. There's almost nothing more American than taking action against civil injustice.

Please explain to me how sitting for the national anthem is a slap in the face to those who have served/died for the flag. I've read this from many sources and I just don't understand it.

Where does he say he's not supportive of the USA? He's trying to bring awareness to an issue he perceives as a problem in this country; is it wrong for him to try to make the country a better place in his eyes?

Are you suggesting the reason for his protest is not valid, or just his method? The way I see it, he made his protest in the most relevant way possible, given who he is: at a football game because he is known for being football player, and during the national anthem which would be the only appropriate time during a football game to make a political statement about the country.

Here is a quote from him.

 "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media 

I guess I take that as him not supporting our nation.

As far as the disrespect, ask @David in FL or someone else who has served. They can probably explain it better than me. I guess I see the flag and the anthem as symbols of our great nation. Many have given their lives so people have the freedom of speech. 

Again, it's not about what he is standing (well technically sitting) up for to me. I just think he could have picked a much better way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Well you added to the conversation :doh:

Just because you don't agree with someone's response doesn't mean they deserve the sarcasm. I don't agree that he's a "piece of crap" for sitting either, but there are going to be a lot of folks who do feel that way. To me their reasons are self-evident.


Regardless of how I feel about Colin Kaepernick, I agree protesting by not standing for National Anthem is not, in and of itself, un-American. It took me a long time to understand the logic of the Civll Liberties Union.

35 minutes ago, Ernest Jones said:

Great post. A nation's anthem is nothing more than an advertising jingle and should never be held in higher regard than what it is supposed to represent. Same with a flag, without the morals, values and ideals it represents, it is no more important than a coca-cola sign. Care more about the people and less about the brand. 

But that's the point with many - the flag and anthem do represent the ideals.

Few of us believe this country is without serious problems and a checkered past. And it sickens many of us to see innocent people of any color or nation suffer - regardless of the circumstances. Perhaps even more surprising, many of us from every imaginable background become involved at some level to try and make a difference (yes... even us dumb rednecks).

I would assume it's very much the same in Canada and other countries.

So I understand why it strikes a nerve when some blame an entire country or a constitution for the inevitable injustices caused my human nature. Doesn't mean we can't do more as a nation, or that no one should be able to protest by burning a flag or staying seated during the anthem.

12 minutes ago, jamo said:

I thought we weren't supposed to be so sensitive to and offended by everything.

I thought we were supposed to be supportive and understanding of everyone's feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

...Here is a quote from him.

 "I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media@David in FL...

"People of color" have not been oppressed, rather given special rights since at least the War of Northern Aggression.

Edited by CR McDivot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, 14ledo81 said:

As far as the disrespect, ask @David in FL or someone else who has served. They can probably explain it better than me. I guess I see the flag and the anthem as symbols of our great nation. Many have given their lives so people have the freedom of speech. 

Again, it's not about what he is standing (well technically sitting) up for to me. I just think he could have picked a much better way.

For others it's a symbol of oppression and unwarranted violence. That is the thing about symbols, they are not singularly defined. 

What way should he picked? Something that doesn't make people feel uncomfortable, or doesn't ruffle feathers? How does that help a person who is protesting for what they believe is a worthy cause? 

22 minutes ago, CR McDivot said:

"People of color" have not been oppressed, rather given special rights since at least the War of Northern Aggression.

Let's not delve into this subject. The topic is about Kaepernick choosing to sit during the national anthem as a way of protest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

24 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

What way should he picked? Something that doesn't make people feel uncomfortable, or doesn't ruffle feathers? How does that help a person who is protesting for what they believe is a worthy cause? 

It is possible to alienate those who support your point of view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Let's not delve into this subject. The topic is about Kaepernick choosing to sit during the national anthem as a way of protest. 

Mmm, so we can't discuss the stupidity and ignorance behind his "protest," only the action itself?  How convenient for you.  :doh:

I served and don't really give a crap that he hates America.  He'll inspire a few but the vast majority will shun him.  I was a fan his 1st year but that has faded and this cry for attention further colors my opinion of him.  He's getting the attention now and most of it ain't good.  He'll pay the price for invoking his 1st Amendment rights and I hope it's steep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Gunther said:

Mmm, so we can't discuss the stupidity and ignorance behind his "protest," only the action itself?  How convenient for you.  :doh:

I served and don't really give a crap that he hates America.  He'll inspire a few but the vast majority will shun him.  I was a fan his 1st year but that has faded and this cry for attention further colors my opinion of him.  He's getting the attention now and most of it ain't good.  He'll pay the price for invoking his 1st Amendment rights and I hope it's steep.

How is that convenient for me? The topic is about Kaepernick's actions.

What price will he pay? The 49ers have already stated they will not do anything to him. NFL players have a right to not stand for the American Anthem. That is NFL policy. It's pretty common among sports when you have players who might originate from other countries. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...