IGNORED

Presidential Candidates Debate

Hacker James
Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My wife and I have made up our minds who we are voting for.  However we've been following what is an extremely unconventional election.   Hilary Clinton should be as she usually is and no major surprises from her, I'd expect.   However which Trump will show up?  Will it be the brash Trump who steamrolled the primaries, or the "more presidential" version of Trump?   It should be interesting to watch....

—Adam

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Chilli Dipper said:

I have to decide which is more masochistic: watching the debate, or watching the Falcons perform their annual choke job in New Orleans.

The Trump campaign, for their part, have set their expectations as low as humanly possible.

If true, kind of a telling article about his prepping for a job he supposedly wants.
What will this mean if he gets the job, does he read briefings or will he only pay attention if the briefings are told with shadow puppets?

7 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

How many softball questions get lobbed at each candidate?

How many times will Trump say "Believe me!" and "It's like incredible" the word "tremendous" and "Crooked Hillary"

How many times Hillary will dance around the e-mail scandal? Will Hillary blow up?

Will Hillary challenge Trump to do arithmetic? Or will that be out of bounds? It will be interesting to hear how lowering taxes on the rich and lowering corporate taxes will balance the budget - I've heard that whopper before.

Will Trump challenge Hillary on the 2nd amendment?

Will Hillary challenge Trump on his pandering to the religious right with the "freedom of speech and religion" proposal to allow discrimination against GLBT people. 

Will either of them persuade me to not vote for Gary Johnson?

each candidate will get at least 1 softball question.
DT will bring up Hillary's email and Benghazi issue.
HRC will bring up DT's Trump U!

DT will say "the best" & "great" many, many times.
HRC will use very specific names and policies, DT will counter will ripping his shirt open and screaming "I am great and huuuuge"!!!!!!

I think in reality DT setting his sights low will win him the night. even if he does poorly, which he would not admit to, he can indicate that he is not a "career politician". 
I am wondering how long it will take DT until he takes a jab at Bill, seeing as DT is unaware of his own moral and fidelity issues.

I anticipate the debate turning into a POOP show, by the 3rd question!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

I might be misinformed, but as I understand it, the moderators will be asking questions at this debate. (correct me if I am wrong) It's because of this I won't watch it. It's too easy for the mods to be biased with their questions. 

Besides I don't think political debates mean anything as it is. It's been prooven over, and over that what candidates tell the voting public what they will do, is usually not what they are going to do once elected. 

Since I have already made up my mind who I am going to vote for, this debate means less than squat to me. That, and I need Atlanta's QB to score atleast 21 fantasy points. Priorities are a big thing for me. :beer:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

33 minutes ago, Patch said:

I might be misinformed, but as I understand it, the moderators will be asking questions at this debate. (correct me if I am wrong) It's because of this I won't watch it. It's too easy for the mods to be biased with their questions. 

Besides I don't think political debates mean anything as it is. It's been prooven over, and over that what candidates tell the voting public what they will do, is usually not what they are going to do once elected. 

Since I have already made up my mind who I am going to vote for, this debate means less than squat to me. That, and I need Atlanta's QB to score atleast 21 fantasy points. Priorities are a big thing for me. :beer:

hoping for Ryan to hit Tamme for 2 of those 3 TDs.

as for the debate, here are some terms i predict to hear from various media pundits immediately following:

"embarrassed"
"liar"
"adult in the room"
"misrepresented facts"
"mistake"
"out of bounds"
"non-presidential"
"very presidential"

interesting analysis on fivethirtyeight.com about the impact of debates on polling and the eventual winner.  

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-may-have-more-to-gain-from-the-first-debate-than-clinton/

Debates are usually interesting because so much pressure is on the candidates to not screw up.  

—Adam

We can turn this into a drinking game, anytime Trump says "Believe me," take a shot!  It's going to be a looong night!
:beer:

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

16 minutes ago, phillyk said:

We can turn this into a drinking game, anytime Trump says "Believe me," take a shot!  It's going to be a looong night!

And another for each Clinton cough.  We be some drunk SoBs.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

My prediction: it's going to be anticlimactic. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Seems like a waste of time to watch. This election cycle has felt extremely long for some reason and because of that the stances of both major candidates are known so this seems like it is just for entertainment value. The only way I would have any inclination to watch the debates is if Gary Johnson was included in them given there has been pretty much no coverage on him. 

Don't like the hype and don't like the for profit media turning it into their super bowl. Don't like that because of that we'll get two plasticized candidates doing their best to give canned answers their teams prepared for them weeks ago. Don't like that a "winner" will be declared when the standards are so low. Don't like that the voting public is playing along. Wake me up in 2020.

Dave :-)

1 hour ago, Elrey Desol said:

as for the debate, here are some terms i predict to hear from various media pundits immediately following:
"embarrassed"
"liar"
"adult in the room"
"misrepresented facts"
"mistake"
"out of bounds"
"non-presidential"
"very presidential"

I would add:

"Fraud", "experience"
"Misogynist", "racist", "Discrimination", "foundation", "Donation", "founders"
And I would not be surprised to hear "un-american"

1 hour ago, imsys0042 said:

interesting analysis on fivethirtyeight.com about the impact of debates on polling and the eventual winner.  

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/trump-may-have-more-to-gain-from-the-first-debate-than-clinton/

Debates are usually interesting because so much pressure is on the candidates to not screw up.  

Very good article I am a fan of 538, been following their polls this entire election.
Silver's model call it last election, I think he will again this time around. 
I think the "not screw up" model is why Trump released let the info out about his not  preparing.
If you have heard the news that Trump is not prepared and he is not a dumpster fire, technically he wins the debate.
Hillary with all her preparation can not exceed expectations of those who hate her! 

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

or "Great"
either way I dont have enough booze in the house and I have 200 bottle in my cellar!

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Bottom line: I doubt anyone committed to voting for Trump or Hillary will change their minds after watching the debate.  

Those on the fence and not sure who they will vote for will only be more disheartened and confused about who they will vote for after watching the debate.  

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

My prediction: it's going to be anticlimactic. 

Most likely. There is not going to be a "gotcha" moment where Trump is revealed to be the emperor with no clothes on, but he also is not going to show much command of the issues (or his own platform) beyond three-word slogans. Clinton is going to keep a calm demeanor, which people at home will receive as cold and calculating.

The question is, what will be the thing the Trump campaign will use to get out of the town-hall debate? As much as their candidate wants to talk about biased moderators, I can't imagine a worse format for him than having to speak to ordinary people instead of at them.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

40 minutes ago, Chilli Dipper said:

Most likely. There is not going to be a "gotcha" moment where Trump is revealed to be the emperor with no clothes on, but he also is not going to show much command of the issues (or his own platform) beyond three-word slogans. Clinton is going to keep a calm demeanor, which people at home will receive as cold and calculating.

The question is, what will be the thing the Trump campaign will use to get out of the town-hall debate? As much as their candidate wants to talk about biased moderators, I can't imagine a worse format for him than having to speak to ordinary people instead of at them.

Way back early in the primaries I said he might have a macaca moment. I was totally wrong about that because even then, he already had like 238 macaca moments. He can't out macaca himself anymore. He can't say anything more outrageous or terrible than he has already said or insinuated. At this point, imho, the pundits saying he must look presidential, is silly, as that will undo everything he has done in the past. At this point, election is already pretty much decided, whoever that is. Unless something weird happens, which would really take the cake because this election cycle has been, to me, insanely in an alternate reality batsh$t bizzaro, someone pinch me and wake me up from this reality show nightmare oh crap I'm already up this is real oh God help us all have mercy dream.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

54 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Bottom line: I doubt anyone committed to voting for Trump or Hillary will change their minds after watching the debate.  

Those on the fence and not sure who they will vote for will only be more disheartened and confused about who they will vote for after watching the debate.  

As soon as it was narrowed down to these two I knew it was a lost cause, either way we are ending up with someone I would never want as President.... I kind of feel like I'm not alone in that feeling either.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

6 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I think that argument is normally valid. Not this year. I'd start out by saying their personalities are complete opposites.

Can you point out some similarities between the two?

Who cares about personalities? I care about results.  Dems/Repubs= Pro war, Anti-civil liberties, pro-big government, pro-nation building, pro-crony capitalism, don't care about debt.  Only difference is rhetoric. 

2 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Very possible.  Although I would ask those people (actually all people) who are on the fence, or who think that they're both the same or similar to watch this first ...

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

Very possible.  Although I would ask those people (actually all people) who are on the fence, or who think that they're both the same or similar to watch this first ...

I would ask those on the fence to listen to a week's worth of Rush Limbaugh.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Note: This thread is 2721 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!