IGNORED

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 1765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Has the Elimination of Solo Rounds Affected Your Handicap?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. What effect, if any, has eliminating posting solo rounds had on your index?

• Don't know, don't care
    • My index is a bit higher
    • My index is a bit lower
    • No effect
    • Something else, please explain

I play a majority of my rounds alone (70%+) so for me it pretty much eliminates keeping an established handicap. Currently I just go off of GG.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 minutes ago, JxQx said:

I play a majority of my rounds alone (70%+) so for me it pretty much eliminates keeping an established handicap. Currently I just go off of GG.

I could easily do the same, the GG one is .7 higher, which is pretty close considering they calculate handicap differently if I remember correctly.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

3 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

I played nine holes early one morning about two years ago by myself - and that was the last time I've played a solo round.  (Might also have been the only time.)

I can't think of the last time I played solo. I tend to play during busier times (although early enough that pace of play isn't an issue) so I never get out on the course alone, which is fine by me because I dislike playing by myself anyway.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

2 hours ago, GolfLug said:

Yupp, vanity cappers are very real. It is not a problem for others per say like sandbagging is since they only hurt themselves when they compete.  

Except when they are on your team.  :-(

I voted no effect.  My handicap is lower, than this time last year, but only because I'm playing better.  

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

I don't have a need to post any rounds. I do use an internet handicap progran to get an "unofficial" idea where my game is at.

Solo, or with others, I shoot the same scores, so it wouldn't matter much. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Since joining the Seniors group, this is not really an issue. There's always someone to play with.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

My index is a bit lower than it would be.  I've been in a slump lately and my index would have gone up a bit had I posted my solo rounds.  But that's pretty random, if I was playing better than usual the opposite would be the case.

6 hours ago, JxQx said:

Same here except I use another source other than GameGolf.

I voted "something else" because this is the first year I've played around with keeping track of a handicap, so I have nothing to compare it to. 

Jon

All my very best rounds are solo so it would currently be about 3 points difference (11.5 vs 14.5). With mates I find I play 12 holes really well but cough up more shots on the other holes than I would by myself. Largely its adjusting to the differences, helping mates look for balls, tending flags etc and then having to hurry your own shots a bit. It's improving though.

• Like 1

So who has eliminated them ?

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

10 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

So who has eliminated them ?

The USGA Rules changed this year to not allow posting of solo rounds for handicap purposes. Presumably this is in preparation for a more uniform world handicap system.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, Lazarus said:

All my very best rounds are solo so it would currently be about 3 points difference (11.5 vs 14.5). With mates I find I play 12 holes really well but cough up more shots on the other holes than I would by myself. Largely its adjusting to the differences, helping mates look for balls, tending flags etc and then having to hurry your own shots a bit. It's improving though.

This is a good point and I think it rings true for me as well.  If there is some sort of delay due to a lost ball or the group just taking a lot of shots to get onto the green, I'm going to take less time than I probably would have on my next shot to help us get back on pace. Sometimes I rush it a little too much - I'll just walk up and hit the ball without doing my normal routine, or putt without reading it carefully. I need to get better about taking the time I need.

Edited by drmevo
  • Upvote 1

Practically none. The season here is nearly over and i ended last year at +1.3 and I'm at +.8 now. Most of my rounds are through tournaments or my usual group, anyway. I still post the 9 hole scores i play after work sometimes though. Its a silly rule to me, because its a police action with no way to police it. 

With the exception of tournament rounds (which the organizing body usually posts) the situation for me is identical. I finish my round, and i post it on my phone. Nonebody asks or checks either way.. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

19 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

There are always voices in my head. 

Those Damn little "Gremlins" are everywhere....

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

I voted no change.  My solo round scores tend to be around my handicap.  My rounds in groups tend to have slightly more variability.  My low and high scores tend to occur when playing in groups.

John

Voted higher. It is slightly different as we (UK) have never been allowed to post solo rounds (or non-competition group rounds) for handicap purposes. But the result for me is, my scores are definitely better when it doesn't count towards my handicap. 

When we care about getting a lower hcp, I think we are kind of conditioned to play in one of two modes. Practice mode where nothing matters, and competition mode where everything matters.

As much as I've always thought we have a better system, I kind of think it would be much better if every round counted for your handicap. 

1 hour ago, Jeremie Boop said:

The USGA Rules changed this year to not allow posting of solo rounds for handicap purposes. Presumably this is in preparation for a more uniform world handicap system.

Aaagghh, I didn't know that. As far as I know in the UK it has always been the case. 

7 minutes ago, Pete said:

Voted higher. It is slightly different as we (UK) have never been allowed to post solo rounds (or non-competition group rounds) for handicap purposes. But the result for me is, my scores are definitely better when it doesn't count towards my handicap. 

When we care about getting a lower hcp, I think we are kind of conditioned to play in one of two modes. Practice mode where nothing matters, and competition mode where everything matters.

As much as I've always thought we have a better system, I kind of think it would be much better if every round counted for your handicap. 

I am also from the UK. My club will accept a card from a practice round if it is signed by another member. In fact, all but one of my handicap alterations have been this way. I play so badly in comps, I would still be off of 28 if it were only those cards that counted. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Using USGA calculation over last 20 rounds, I would be 4.8 for rounds that count towards handicap and 4.0 for all rounds. So yes, it definitely makes a difference for me.

6 minutes ago, paininthenuts said:

I am also from the UK. My club will accept a card from a practice round if it is signed by another member. In fact, all but one of my handicap alterations have been this way. I play so badly in comps, I would still be off of 28 if it were only those cards that counted. 

Only if you declare it before you play the round. You can't decide that the round will be used for handicap purposes retrospectively.

Note: This thread is 1765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!