IGNORED

Congrats Erik Barzeski (iacas)! Golf Digest Best Young Teachers In America

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

A well deserved reward for someone who has put out more helpful content that anyone else on that list. 

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you feel the same way as I do about lists like this-But even if so it should still make you feel good to have beaten the system to get on without being at a fancy club or being a woman or a minority or having photos of Matt Rudy in a compromising position or something.-Ha ha ha.

10 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Though I've never met Erik in person, @iacas has greatly influenced and bettered my golf game in a way I never thought possible. He's done this by voluntarily making himself readily available to those of us outside of his geographical locale  without requiring compensation.

He does not require it-But you can buy a Supporter membership at https://thesandtrap.com/store/category/1-tst-supporter-options/.

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

8 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

He does not require it-But you can buy a Supporter membership at https://thesandtrap.com/store/category/1-tst-supporter-options/.

Even as I was typing that up this morning, I thought about doing that for next year :beer:

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Congratulations Erik!

Top teacher and webmaster extraordinaire.  Outstanding!

You need to come up with a TST award that you can claim... lol

John

• Administrator
On 10/18/2016 at 9:39 PM, Ernest Jones said:

Erik, I know you'll likely downplay this achievement as you have always scoffed at (and righty so) these kinds of "name recognition" contests, but in this case they got it right. Well deserved my friend. 

Yes, you're right about all of that.

19 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I know I've posted this in the Handicap Index and 5min challenge threads, but I'll repeat myself here as it seems appropriate. I've had just one formal golf lesson in my life, but thanks to LS and the instructional content within TST, over the past year I've lowered my handicap from an unofficial 16 to an official 13 down to a 9.x (as of the end of October in two weeks).

That's what I love to hear! And at the same time, man, you're the one doing the work. I'm just (hopefully) pointing you in a better direction. You're the one who decides to do it and then, most importantly, actually does it!

19 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I'd bet we're going to see him on Golf Channel one day with his regular 30 mins show. :beer:

As I said on my college radio show… I've got a face made for radio… ;-)

17 hours ago, RandallT said:

The only proper response to any industry's public award is the same as Bob Dylan to the Nobel Prize for Literature. Radio Silence. :-P

Well, I would like to acknowledge folks like @david_wedzik, and the many others from whom I've learned, a good number of which aren't even really involved in the golf business. So I can't stay too silent. :-)

But seriously- Congrats, Erik!! I think as the times evolve, we'll find that your many methods of outreach to golfers are having more positive impact on the golf world than the combined efforts of most on that list. My hunch is that many on that list are tied to country clubs and golf academies, so they likely just reach people in a conventional way. You have so many ways in place to reach out that it's impressive: book, TST forum, online lessons, in-studio lessons, college level coaching, plus more I'm not listing.

I had a hard time deciding what to put on the résumé and what to leave off… TST, evolvr, Golf Evolution, 5SK, LSW, Analyzr… training instructors (both 5SK and LSW)… coaching a college team. Teaching at PGA section seminars. There are a few others.

Thank you.

I wish there was some way the industry would recognize the uniqueness of your efforts, frankly. Your initiative and ability to deliver such quality through multiple means is pretty damn impressive- often without much recognition or direct financial reward. That might get lost on a list of 50 people, where you get lumped in with folks who might be more "9 to 5" about golf, or perhaps have 1/10th the impact you do.

I appreciate the sentiment, but… all I can do is what I do. The recognition I get is a text from a student describing his amazement at a new career low. Or the wide eyes they get when they start hitting a shot they've never hit before. Or the little things like that… That's why I do what I do. I try not to make a big deal of it, but it's about making the world a better place. That sounds hokey, and trust me, I'm not doing that in a big way by any stretch of the imagination, but people enjoy playing better golf, and if I can help them do that a little, the world is microscopically a better place with happier people in it.

But congrats, nonetheless! Great to see "them" recognize you. My hunch is also that something good will come out of it. Just don't run off to some lucrative academy somewhere more tropical, sign a non-compete agreement, and shut down TST!

Where else would I spend five or ten of my 80+ hours per week obsessing over golf without TST!?!?

14 hours ago, GolfLug said:

A badge is needed..:beer:

For what? A badge for just me? C'mon… think straight. :-D

13 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Judging by this you are charging too little. Time for a pay raise with your new moniker. Congrats on recognition of your hard work and dedication.

Erie, PA is not a high cost-of-living location. ;-) My rates are considered "expensive" for the area.

13 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

I have seen you on YouTube several times but never drew the connection to TST. I actively use one of your lessons in my swing thought. It has been a big help - thank you - and congratulations on the award!

That sounds like another guy… he was a big fan of some software I designed in my early 20s. Then he met me for golf years later and I mentioned the software company (Freshly Squeezed Software) and he put two and two together, and told me about how much he used my software and loved it.

Good guy.

6 hours ago, 70sSanO said:

Congratulations Erik!

Top teacher and webmaster extraordinaire.  Outstanding!

You need to come up with a TST award that you can claim... lol

A badge only I can earn?

I'll just settle for earning the Hole-in-One badge before too long!

Thank you, one and all, for the congrats. I appreciate it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Seems, im a liitle behind you all but big congrats to you Erik. Not only have you been insightful with you comments and post's but generous with your advice regardless of the members experience, skill etc.

I have had advice off you in the past and its always been easy to understand and you dont mind what method a person uses.

Congrats, keep up the excellent work and carry on putting us all straight with your honest and to the point posts.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

5 hours ago, iacas said:

I had a hard time deciding what to put on the résumé and what to leave off… TST, evolvr, Golf Evolution, 5SK, LSW, Analyzr… training instructors (both 5SK and LSW)… coaching a college team. Teaching at PGA section seminars. There are a few others.

I think you need to consolidate it all with an umbrella corporation, complete with a press conference. Just like TGR, but with a better logo.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

8 hours ago, iacas said:

For what? A badge for just me? C'mon… think straight. :-D

Nope, not for you........ for me...  A 'Golf Evolution Student' badge. :-)

Vishal S.

That's awesome!! Congrats!

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Congratulations @iacas. That's fantastic. Worthy recognition for the coaching and the completely open distribution of prolific information/advice/theories/stats/etc.

Don't know if it had anything to do with it, but this brilliant site is a massive cherry on the top too.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Named dropped by Brandel Chamblee on Golf Channel, lol. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, RandallT said:

I think you need to consolidate it all with an umbrella corporation, complete with a press conference. Just like TGR, but with a better logo.

Okay.

But isn't the idea to have an equally bad logo? Trouble is… I don't know if I could make an equally bad logo. Here's my attempt.

ics.png

Nope, still better. Those look like golf holes.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Named dropped by Brandel Chamblee on Golf Channel, lol. 

Oh yeah. That must have been what put me over the top. ;-)

Here are some higher resolution images.

IMG_0185.PNGIMG_0186.PNG

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• iacas pinned and featured this topic

I want to chime in with more congratulations.  As I've said many times, I'm not a student of the golf swing, and have very little personal experience with golf instruction, so I won't comment on your skills.  What I specifically admire, though, is your quest to understand exactly what is happening in a golf swing, to understand WHY those things are happening, and to figure out how make improvements in a swing.  To a geezer like me, there have been lots of eye-opening findings that contradict my previous understanding of the swing.  The other thing that I specifically admire is your willingness to offer your advice and instruction essentially for free through this website.  You've enriched the lives of lots of people by helping them play better golf.  Well done! :beer:

• Upvote 3

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Erik, congratulations.

As a member of a few other online forums, I've always appreciated the way you moderate this site, and the pride you take in keeping it organized, updated, and relevant.  It's really been a wonderful place to learn from and participate in over the years.

I especially like your logical approach with regard to the swing, rules, etc., and helping to bust the many myths out there.  I really do feel like you have the highest of intentions and will go where the data and truth leads without ego.  That's a rare and special quality.

Thanks for all you've done in support of this great game.

Ping G2 Driver; Titleist 906F2 5W; TM Rescue Mid 3H; Adams Idea Pro 4H; Titleist DTR 3-SW; Callaway Bobby Jones Putter; Ping Hoofer lite

On October 19, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Phil McGleno said:

Done!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

3 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Ditto- you started a trend.

Never been accused of that before :-P 

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2280 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!