IGNORED

Losing Weight and Playing Golf

andy_gtfc
Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello,

I'm here to try and learn how to play golf but in order to do that, I feel that I need to lose weight, with the advice of others helping me along the way.

I'm currently about 18st 6lb, and at 5ft 8, it certainly isn't "healthy" at all. That's mainly because with my job it means sitting around at a desk for 8 and a bit hours, before going back to the hotel and eating "bad" food, meaning next to no exercise at all.

I'm looking for hints and tips along the way. I've had a look at 'My Protein', which suggests having 3 meals (breakfast, dinner and tea) along with 2 protein shakes a day. Normally, my meals are high carbohydrates and fat too which won't help at all.

Does anyone recommend the Weight Loss bundle found on My Protein? It comes with one Diet Whey Protein, CLA, Thermopure, Omega 3 and Daily Vitamins. The last 4 are all capsules. (Tried posting link but because I'm new it won't let me).

Would that help? What exercise do you suggest?

The more advice the better to be honest. It'll all help.

Cheers,
Andy

I definitely say that any short cut to losing weight is a bad idea.  Why should taking capsules, drinking your meals or any other such solution work long run.  Be smart.  Eat a healthy balanced diet and exercise.  It is a very simple equation.  Calories in vs Calories out.  Take in a little less than you expend.  You will lose weight.  Build muscle and you will lose more weight automatically.  The fitter you get, the better your golf game will be

• Upvote 1

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

The number one thing you need is the will to change, no exercise regime or diet will counteract the lack of willingness you will skimp excercise, continue to overeat and at the end of the day wont lose weight

I struggle with big change but ive dropped 2 stone in the last year, i started by simply dropping sugar from my cup of tea's, i used to have 6 teas a day at work, all with 2 sugars,......i dropped to one sugar per cup, then 5 with 1 and 1 with 0, until im now drinking 6-8 cups a day but no sugar at all, that win was small but boosted me onto other wins

find something small you can change and change it, then something else small and change it,..........if you use a lift in the hotel, swap it for the stairs once a day, then only use the stairs etc etc,....if you have 3 scoops of mash on a plate, try having just 2, or 1 1/2, all these small things will add to up a big thing called a life change, once you make enough of them nothing will stop you, your confidence will be high and the weight will likely have already dropped off by the time you reach that conclusion ;)

:tmade: Driver: TM Superfast 2.0 - 9.5degree - Reg flex
:mizuno: 3 Wood: JPX800 - 16* Exhsar5 Stiff
:mizuno: 3 - PW: MP-67 Cut Muscle back - S300 stiff
:slazenger: Sand Wedge: 54degree, 12degree bounce
:slazenger: Lob Wedge: 60degree 10degree bounce
:ping: Putter: Karsten 1959 Anser 2 Toe weighted
:mizuno: Bag - Cart Style

Dude the good thing about your current lifestyle is (in my opinion) it's open to positive and rewarding change.

When I was travelling for work (albeit a pretty short period of time) I was looking for things to do after work. I can tell you that if you can do 3 things, you'll likely feel a lot better about yourself and be on a great road to some small/medium/large changes (however far you want to take it):

1. Take up a good, low-key, easy, cheap hobby. For me this was learning Linux, playing World of Warcraft, etc. Something that you can enjoy doing and "kill time" easily. These things are great for the "on-the-road" working man. TV SUCKS for this lifestyle. 

2. After work, start running (or walking, or jogging) on a treadmill. You'll feel like crap the first 2-3 days. But then your body will start to realize that although it's tough, it kind of likes it. You get that "flushed the pipes" feel, and your body will want it again. You feel tired, but it's a FANTASTIC tired. You don't have to be a marathon runner to get this feeling. Period. Then every day, or every other day, you take a SMALL increment further (whether it's faster or farther). Literally, only increase the duration/speed by maybe 1%. So if you walked 1 mile. Walk 1.01 miles the next day. Then 1.02. Then maybe go wild and walk 1.05. Then jog maybe 0.5 miles. Jog 0.55 miles. Walk 1.1 miles. Every day you're getting the satisfaction of beating your "old" self.

3. Start a healthy liquid diet. My personal favorite: fruit smoothies. I found one I loved and stuck to it. After you run, at least for me, you won't crave that fatty food. You'll want something easy, sharp (crisp), hydrating, and flavorful. It also has tons of nutrients so it covers most all bases. That's why I chose fruit smoothies. Then sit down with it and do you hobby. Don't just sit at a table and eat/drink. Drink it and read a book, or learn a new skill, or post on these forums or something.

Stay away from protein and all that. Vitamins, sure, but just a multivitamin. Don't go overboard. There's no miracle vitamins. I don't understand why that crap is so mainstream for every freaking "plan." 

I lost 20 lbs in 6 weeks. That was my goal and I didn't see a need to go further (I'm at a healthy BMI now and I like my overall physique). I've also kept it off for a solid year now and I feel great. I also felt great while doing it. I went from running 28+ minute 5k's a year ago to setting my personal record last week of 23:16. And that's with my bum, shortened (via surgery), bionic legs.

Best of luck.

Edited by jkelley9

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

Being on the road can sometimes make things a little easier on you as well. Whenever I need to kick start a diet or get back into some better habits, the key for me is to stock up on tub of cooking oats, a couple cans of soup, some fruit, etc, and keep them in my office.  If I had these items around I wont eat as much (they aren't aren't as exciting as junk food) and already have predetermined serving sizes for the most part, additionally, nothing on that list will break a diet if you need a snack.  I imagine you could do the same and either pack similar items, or buy them while you are out of town.

Also, one of the first things I cut when I start a diet is alcohol (I don't drink soda and only drink black coffee but sugar drinks would be included here.  Out of town that can be hard (at least for me) but that is where a hobby or something else to do would really come in handy.  Things that I do while out of town are hike local parks or outdoor areas, go bowling, sometimes go to a film, golfing or just putting green.  You could also make it point to go to the hotel gym (if there is one) or workout in your room are all positive ways to pass time.

One last thing, is there anyone out of town with you to hold you accountable?  When I start a new workout/diet I have my go to person at work and let them know how the day was.  The daily report always seems to help keep you accountable as well. 

Good luck!!

One last thing, if you misstep, don't beat yourself up, take your licks and keep moving.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Yeah, you are going to have to get hard core about your diet - for starters. I feel your pain. Most of us probably do. Best of luck with it.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

Some kind of a blender, Nutribullet or other similar. Don't fill it with too much fruit, that has a bunch of sugar. Mostly use vegetables. It will taste disgusting but just think of it as medicine. Try to find foods high in fiber. You can make a bunch of these drinks in advance and us them to replace a meal.

This worked for me the last two summers. My golf clothes fit nice. Unfortunately in the winter with cookies lying around everywhere my health goes back to crap.

Unfortunately, there are no quick or easy solutions. It takes a lot of strong will and discipline, and what is the most important of all - you need to stick to the changed diet and exercise routine in the long term. As soon as you return to your 'old' eating and (no)exercise habits, all lost pounds will slowly but surely return.

Personally, I think that it is crucial for the diet not to be too restrictive and to actually like what you eat. If you don't, you will sooner or later give up.

I walk and carry my bag every time i play. And you're burning at least 800-900 calories when you do that. I actually have to remember to eat more during golf season just to keep my weight on. So if you're able, walk. At least in 9 hole segments until you build the stamina and strength required for 18 holes. Golf is a great way to get good exercise if you just stay away from carts. 

• Upvote 1

My biggest tip is consider a "lifestyle change" not a diet.  The problem with diets is the vast majority of people who lose weight on a diet gain the weight back after they stop dieting.

I've been within 5 lbs of my ideal weight for the last 5 years but I'm always keeping on eye on my diet, exercise and weight (I'm 59 years old, 5'11", 155 lbs.  That's the reason I stay near my ideal weight.  If I ever find myself about 5 lbs overweight I notch up my efforts on exercise and/or diet.

Things I'm always doing:

- Walking approximately 30 extra miles a week (dog walks and golfing is the majority of it).  Extra meaning I don't include the walking I do as part of my daily routine, walking from the sofa to the fridge doesn't count not does walking from my car to my office...

- Light weight lifting 3 times a week

- Lots of fish, chicken and turkey, little red meat, I eat red meat once a week or less

- Breakfast is oatmeal, 1/2 banana, almond milk

- No alcohol (I cheat once in a while, but I'm at less than one beer a month for this year) 

- No soda or sweet drinks

Types of things I add when I need to kick it up a notch

- No more than 2 sweets a week

- 1 hour on the exercise bike several times a week (while watching tv in the evening)

- Salads for lunch with protein like salmon or chicken

That's what I do and what I've done for a long time.  People consider me thin and have said I'm lucky because I don't need to work on it.  I wonder how many would consider what I do every day as being a weight loss plan, I think many would.  It doesn't seem like a weight loss plan to me and I find it easy, more like a life style.

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I wonder how many would consider what I do every day as being a weight loss plan, I think many would.

Bingo. That's the whole thing. Stuff works when you get yourself into situations where you actively want to do the healthy thing. Deprivation doesn't work.

At one point I stopped drinking soda and lost weight. It worked because I found a suitable replacement for it (coffee). 

Beer remains a problem. I haven't found any suitable alternative. Simply not drinking beer would be deprivation. Thus, I retain about 30-40 extra pounds.

Thinking about it is the first step for me.  Putting it into action is next.  Out of pure necessity last year, I went on an arthritic diet per my healthy DO's suggestions trying to get my left leg and foot droop out.  Man was I miserable until I lost a little weight and the sciatic nerve bundle calmed down.  Plus I was doing too many repetitive motions.

Wish I could weigh some of the values I've seen posted here but it's not going to happen.  I am a hatch plug but I can work to get as healthy as I can, hopefully.  

27 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

That's what I do and what I've done for a long time.  People consider me thin and have said I'm lucky because I don't need to work on it.  I wonder how many would consider what I do every day as being a weight loss plan, I think many would.  It doesn't seem like a weight loss plan to me and I find it easy, more like a life style.

Your story and advice is very, very close to mine.  I had gotten my weight up to a point where I wasn't in terrible shape but it wasn't good.  The key for me, amazingly, was an app that I dowloaded (FatSecret).  I plugged in my current weight, target weight and logged what I ate every day.  It would let me know how many calories i was consuming and how many I was allowed for that day to get to my target weight.  I quickly found out which foods were really bad for me.  There weren't any shockers but the biggest eye opener was portion control.  I found myself eating much smaller portions or choosing much healthier (non-fried/greasy) options when  I went out to eat.

I lost 30 pounds over 9 month span.  The first 20 came off fast.  The last 10 were a lot harder but i got there with some diligence.  Yes, I did include exercise to get down to my ideal weight.  I'm 6' and bounce between 170-175 without having to exercise too much.  My activity level is higher now but I've found a routine of foods and habits that work very well.

Breakfast:  1 or 1.5 Eggs, grain toast with a reasonable portion of peanut butter and OJ

Lunch:  I go out every day during work but found a handful of places that are relatively healthy.  Most options are grilled chicken types of dishes (japanese, less rice and extra vegetables or greek) and also Subway/healthy sandwiches

Dinner:  Again, portion control but nothing fried.  Fish/Salmon, grilled chicken, steak (Filet is actually not too high in calories).  If i have pasta, I dish out a reasonable amount and not a huge bowl full.

Snacks:  At night/after 8PM I do not consume much sugar.  I stick to things like chips/mix (Utz's pub mix for example) and only get out a small bowl and put the container back...portion control.

Drinks:  No sugary drinks...the only one I ever have is Arnold Palmer light and I even water that down.  I can't even stand sweet drinks at all.  I probably drink a glass of wine a day...so alcohol isn't too much of an issue.

I'll allow myself one bad day a week and it is usually easy to recover.  I step on the scale every night and make sure i'm staying within range.  It has become a very good habit and routine.  I feel like I haven't cut anything fully out of my life but understood that what I had going on wasn't good in the long run.  My next step is to start exercising more.  I actually ran a lot when I first started doing this and was doing well...running 5 and 10k's.  I need to get back into it but i have to balance that with other extra-curricular activities (golf, etc.)

As others have mentioned...it is habit and routines that are hard to break.  Don't go fully cold turkey on anything.  You will feel miserable.  Cut back on certain things and portions.  The app did wonders for opening my eyes to what I was putting into my body.  One real big revelation that did it for me was one day I spent 30 minutes on a bike to burn 350 calories. Later that day i was craving chocolate cookies that someone offered.  The caloric amount?  350 calories for two.  I would have thrown 30 minutes down the drain.

Good luck to everyone.  It is a journey not only of body but mind as well.  I'm much better off for it...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 3 months later...
(edited)

Don't diet. Just change your lifestyle. Remember this saying...."If you can't see yourself eating this way for a year, 2 years, 10 years, etc....you will likely not stick with it." Most crash diets fail because people get crazy with restrictions on what they can and can't eat, and there is no way they could stick with it. So they lose crazy amounts of weight really fast, only to end up gaining more back than they started with. Take your time. Lose it slow and it will stay off. Skip out on the supplements...they are called supplements for a reason. Eating "food" is much more thermogenic and your metabolism will thank you. Crash diets = crashed metabolism.  Invest is some bands. You can do so many workouts with bands in your hotel room while watching tv or whatever you like.

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

Spent the last 15 years of my career living on the road.  Over 2,000 nights in hotels.  And, I actually remained healthy and did not gain unwanted pounds.  If I ate breakfast at a hotel is was oatmeal and coffee.  For years, my lunch was a tin of sardines and some crackers.  I never ate out for evenings.  Would pick up some healthy frozen dinner from the store on the way to the hotel or have brought something from home and kept in hotel fridge.  So tempting, at first, to eat out all the time.  Once in the habit, never really had the desire to go to a restaurant.

Thought I was retired a year ago.  Began playing 18 holes 5 to 7 days/week.  Have our own cart so was not getting the walking exercise needed.  Adopted a 75 lb. Black Lab.  She and I began 3 1/2 to 4 mile walks immediately after I returned home from the golf course.  Got called back to work and really missed the dog walks.  Have fully retired, now, and am back to walking the dog.

If calories in exceed calories burned you gain weight. What's worked for me is to go to a 2000 calorie a day diet. Cut out some of the junk/snack food. Avoid processed white flour things....white bread and such. It just turns to sugars.

move more, walk, walk when golfing. 

I do walk at daily basis. Loosing weight is not an easy task for me. It is a big challange for me. But, I regularly doing some easy workout and playing Golf. At start it was not easy for me but now I love both things in my daily routine. It happens due to online training course I took from Dawn Grant.

Note: This thread is 2500 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!