IGNORED

Does Taking a Long Break From the Game Help?

JonMA1
Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

There have been a few members here who've posted that they returned to the game of golf after not playing for an extended period of time. I'm curious as to what it was like not to play, and also what it was like when you returned. Did you miss playing at first? For those who quit out of frustration and then returned, did the break help make the game more enjoyable? Was improvement easier with the fresh start?

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

After breaking 90 a few months ago, I've played horrible since.  I threatened to take a break, I guess my clubs heard. Shot 10 strokes better than last week.  It won't let me quit. :~(

• Upvote 1

I think it helps with the frustration factor in that it takes the pressure off. If you just took a couple months off, there is no pressure to do well so you relax. 

My brother in law does this about twice a year. He will swear off the game after playing horribly, then a month later we will play, and he will play pretty well for him. 

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

I will let you know when I get to play again.  I haven't played since I don't have access to a golf course, and I haven't picked up a club in a long time now either.

I guess I miss it, but probably closer to indifferent at this point.  I'm not sure when I'll get to play again, but I'll definitely report back on how I did!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I had almost a 3 year layoff from the game due to a car wreck. Yes I missed the game at times, but there were other, more important priorities to deal with during my rehab. These other priorities kept my mind off playing golf. 

However, being able to play golf again was a strong personal goal for me. The driving force I had to play the game again, help in other areas of my physical rehab. 

Before the accident I was a solid 6 handicapper. Breaking 80 was no problem most of the time, no matter where I played. When I was finally able to pick up a club again, I was nothing more than just a really bad putter. 

I basically had to start over from scratch. I started with my putter, and worked my way from the green to the tee box. The only thing I really lost was distance, especially with my longer clubs. This distance loss also required me to change my bag make up.  

Once I was finally able to put a good, consistant swing on the ball, I was a 16 handicapper. Several months later, using my own practice regimen, and playing 2-3 times a week, I was a 9. 

This past year has not been kind to my golf game due to some minor physical issues that were not golf related. I have missed as much a 4 weeks, but returning to a decent game has been pretty easy after these much shorter layoffs. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I don't see that taking a long break is helpful. One of the hardest things about winters in Ohio was not being able to play. Every spring it felt like I was learning the game all over again. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

4 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I don't see that taking a long break is helpful. One of the hardest things about winters in Ohio was not being able to play. Every spring it felt like I was learning the game all over again. 

I agree with this. Even hitting indoor ranges and doing golf sims don't really prepare you enough.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

I agree with this. Even hitting indoor ranges and doing golf sims don't really prepare you enough.

True. I can help to keep your full swing tuned up, but you lose touch around and on the greens. 

- Shane

I haven't taken anything like a month+ break since starting golf about 2 years ago, but when I go 2-3 weeks without playing it's kind of nice going back and having less pressure on my self. My swing is usually smoother, and I have more energy. I might shoot a few strokes higher from those around-the-green or putting or something but overall it's usually a positive experience. I'm debating taking the cold of this winter off (6 weeks or so, Jan-Feb) and seeing how I come back. 

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

I quit for nearly a year. Total train wreck when I returned and only recently am noticing improvement. Over a year ago, I broke 80 twice. When I started playing again, I struggled to break 100, then 90, and now I can see a glimmer of hope. I went from a 20.0 to an 18.6 with a low index of 16.2. What has helped is daily practice in a cage, but working on basics, 3/4 swings, one thing at a time.  It's coming back!

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I took 10 years off and documented my return in my Tourspoon Blog Thread. I recently am 18 rounds in from a 2 year layoff. 

It didn't really bother me when I am didn't play because I was busy with life. I really don't care to be a once a month golfer and just getting out there. I am more of a practice 1 or 2 times a week guy, play 4-7 times a month, and basically break 80 on any given day. That to me is enjoyable. Getting back to a 4ish handicap was very hard, but I totally enjoy the process. The first return, I came back as a mid 8 and the last time I was about a 7. 

Edited by TourSpoon

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I took over a year off (3 months were through non golf related injury) playing because i just stopped enjoying playing. I played because my brother in law asked me to and normally i would have a bad round and be like "next time its gonna be good" but never got that feeling.

I didnt play a round of golf but went the the range once or twice a month just to whack balls. I didnt work on anything and i think that helped me start enjoying myself again. As soon as the pressure of practicing and improving was off the table the desire came back.

Happy now to get out and play and really work on the swing. Life is good!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

17 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

There have been a few members here who've posted that they returned to the game of golf after not playing for an extended period of time. I'm curious as to what it was like not to play, and also what it was like when you returned. Did you miss playing at first? For those who quit out of frustration and then returned, did the break help make the game more enjoyable? Was improvement easier with the fresh start?

I didn't play for 33 years, and to be honest it didn't help at all. In fact I couldn't hit the bloody ball if I am honest. On the other hand, two weeks off isn't a bad thing at all. 

It really is about your state of mind, and your expectations. I never expected to be very good, and 18 is my ultimate handicap goal. If your one of these players who is desperate to reduce their handicap and increase their ability indefinitely, you will get frustrated and either give up or take a long break. My tip is to enjoy the game, enjoy the fresh air and the company, and come to terms with why you area really playing golf !!

Edited by paininthenuts

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Not sure I fit into your definition of "long break," but I'll respond anyways. Normally I always take the winters off (November - March) with pretty much no golf activity (not even swinging a club around the house), but the past two years due to other commitments I've taken seven months off each year. 

I've come back each year not very motivated to play (not unusual for me), it usually takes me a month or so to get into it. Some years the major parts of the swing come back relatively quickly, and so it's just a matter of 'cleaning up' my game (minimizing the really bad shot, improving the short game). This past year my game was horrible, everything had fallen apart and the core of my swing was just not there. I had turned into an arm swinger, lost tons of distance, wasn't compressing the ball, pull hooks alternated by huge loopy slices. Just really, really frustrating, and took the entirety of the summer and well into the fall before it clicked again. By that point, my season was basically over though.

So in my personal experience, the breaks are a huge negative. Takes me a while to get back into golf itself (like I said, usually about a month in I catch the bug and love it again), and there have been some years where it just took too darn long to find my swing and rhythm again. Although I have the same commitment next year as I did the past two (last one hopefully), I'm looking to avoid past year's problems by hitting the range weekly starting in March (or as soon as weather permits) to get my season started that much earlier (probably still won't be able to hit the course until June once my commitment is over). I've also taken a ton of video this season, both from when my swing was all over the place, and from when I finally got it nailed down. And I've taken a lot of notes. Hopefully next year will just be a matter of shaking off the rut. 

I don't think a long break will help anything, but a short break can be great if you're struggling, something like 2-4 weeks, any more is just crazy talk though, nothing about that is going to help your game.

Edited by MrDC

My experience has been my swing doesn't suffer much, in fact I tend to be more fundamentally strict after a break whereas in mid season form I can get kind of sloppy if I'm just playing and not working on it. Same goes with course management I don't get silly when I'm not tuned up. But my putting and greenside play is abysmal after a break especially distance and speed control.

I've only played maybe 6 times since June and aside from the occasional chunk my ball striking is solid. Last time out I was whacking putts 15 feet past the hole and leaving it 10 feet short on the next hole thinking I'd do it again. One thing I do see is out of nowhere I'll have a really bad hole, I put up a 9 on a par 5 and that was not something I did all of last year. That was after several pars in a row.

Dave :-)

Tough game - I found it better to get out with a club, even to a putting and chipping green, if nothing else. You can do inside work with a club for 5-10 minutes almost every day.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

My swing doesn't suffer much, either. I will often not even pick up a club December through March and it only takes me  a couple of range sessions to get it back. Sometimes i welcome it because its kind of a refresh. You might have forgot a bad piece of advice you got, or a bad habit you might of picked up during the season. You can restart using your fundamentals as a base.  

I do miss playing, but living in the Northeast there is nothing you can do about it sometimes. 

Note: This thread is 2732 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!