IGNORED

What do you think of John Daly?

sirsteveo55
Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Same here, a lot of talent wasted on booze, (drugs?), cigarettes and women.  It's sad because he could have been so much better than he was.  

At this point he seems like a caricature of himself with the outrageous outfits and behavior.  I typically don't gravitate towards individuals that go out of their way to draw attention and makes spectacles of themselves.  

QFT.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Many of the criticisms of JD in this thread are spot-on, and I can't really defend him on any of them.

I can, however, echo that there's a good side to him.  I met John back in the fall of 1993 (between his majors).  I was a student at Bama, and on the sideline of the Bama-Arkansas game...was casually hanging back getting some space when he walked over and leaned against the fence beside me and struck up a conversation.  First impression:  dude's hands are enormous, ha!  Second:  You'd have never known he was a celebrity of any sort.  We stood there and chatted for 5+ minutes (until halftime).  He was very nice and down to earth; anyone overhearing the conversation would've thought we were old friends.  I've met other celebs, big and small (M. Jordan in his baseball days in BHM for one...a$$hole extraordinaire!).  None matched JD's "normalness".

Demons?  Yeah, his collection probably beats most anyone's.  Behavior at times -- beyond inexcusable.  Style/"Brand"...uh....  But since that day, I still can't help but root for the guy to find peace and tear up the Champion's Tour.

BamaWade

• Upvote 3

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

I think JD is great and great for squashing some of the stuffy image of golf. As an individual sport I'd like to see more colorful personalities around with good backstories. 

Driver: Nike VRS Covert 2.0
3W:  Nike VRS Covert
3H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
4H:  Nike VRS Covert 2.0
5-AW:  Nike  VRS-X
SW:  Nike VRS Covert
LW:  Nike VRS X3X 60*
Putter:  Nike Method MC-3i

I'm very torn between liking him, and feeling he is an idiot. He seems to be a good guy, and very big hearted. He also seems to go out of his way to be self destructive. Two majors is nothing to sneeze at, but with his talent, it seemed the tip of the iceberg. He seems like the ultimate underachiever.

Gotta like JD.  Grip it n rip it!  One of the best mullets back in the day.

My friend has a Grip it n rip it set of golf clubs.  Told him to hang on to those.

Old films are funny with the beers n butts on the course.  How the times have changed!

I watch him if he is on TV.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

14 hours ago, newtogolf said:

At this point he seems like a caricature of himself with the outrageous outfits and behavior.  I typically don't gravitate towards individuals that go out of their way to draw attention and makes spectacles of themselves.  

I agree with this. I think if the John Daly story wasn't replete with lechery and morbidity nobody would even care. If he had, for example, squandered his golf talents to actually do something good, there is probably no 30 for 30 made. 

I'm still going to watch it because I like golf and he's part of the lore. But I would rather have a beer with Beef.

I typically don't. 

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I fell sorry for him. He has wasted one of the great talents in golf.I always felt he had the skill level to be number one on the Tour. Even when Woods came on the scene John could have gone head to head against him if John had the same mental makeup as Tiger Woods. 

John Daly.jpg

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Personally, I'd like to hang out with the guy, talk music and guitars, have a beer or two and puff down a few smokes with him.  Most folks who reference John Daly, think he's a pretty cool and interesting person.

The negativity surrounding John Daly is more about people who feel the man didn't meet THEIR expectations. Everyone has a personal regret, and I'm sure John does as well. He could have played better, been more committed to his craft. Somehow, I think he's ok with his current lot in life.

dave

• Upvote 1

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I finally watched the 30 for 30 on John Daly and it has softened my views on him. He is not a malicious man. Just a country boy who never felt comfortable in the spotlight. 

This time of year I have to attend a lot of pretentious charity events sponsored by my wife's work. I want to punch half of the people there in the face. So, I kind of understand the desire to escape & tie one on. 

Edited by Kalnoky
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

I finally watched the 30 for 30 on John Daly and it has softened my views on him. He is not a malicious man. Just a country boy who never felt comfortable in the spotlight. 

This time of year I have to attend a lot of pretentious charity events sponsored by my wife's work. I want to punch half of the people there in the face. So, I kind of understand the desire to escape & tie one on. 

Haha, love it. And the other half you just want to kick square in the nuts?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Big JD fan....... I've met him at "The Memorial" more than once and he is the absolute best with the fans and overly generous with his donations for good causes to a fault.  Yes...he's got issues, but he has a big heart and that is why he is a fan favorite.   It's amazing he lived long enough to play the senior tour!  .....I wish him the best!  

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

not exactly the same, but years ago, I witnessed Lannie Wadkins on the practice range, acting a little "braggidosious" saying something like: "I ate my wheaties this morning, folks". Of course, he was MUCH younger then. At least he was interacting with the fans. I forget whether that was at Torrey or at an event at Naval Air Station Miramar as once in awhile, a tour pro will show up there.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• 5 months later...

I love big John. He has always been who he is and call it like it is. I'd love to drink some beers and bullshit with him about music, sports, and life. There are plenty of other talented players who had all the talent in the world and don't have 2 majors.

Trollin' is the life

Just because he has talent he has to live breathe and eat golf in order to maximize himself?  If he doesn't then what?

Screw it he has a comfortable enjoyable life and provides entertainment to many people.  Two majors!

I like him more than most golfers.

its a free world

Tigers aim was maximizing his talent and with his method changes he failed miserably.

Daly never had the goal of maximizing his talent whatever that means.  He's just a guy good at golf.

Edited by Jack Watson

Note: This thread is 2569 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!