IGNORED

Most amazing wasted shot?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At the driving range, using 56* wedge, hit the 50 yd stick, pull out SW and 3 shots later I hit the 100 yd stick.  If only that accuracy would transfer to live play...

Playing this past summer #1 386 yard par 4. My buddy is a long hitter but really got all of this one. it was a bullet that seemed to just keep rising. His ball stopped in the fairway about 6' short of the green. He is tall so it was 1 big step for him. He proceeded to muff his 25' eagle chip. He might have hit it 2'. He got up and down for par. We still give him hell and probably always will.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, No Mulligans said:

Last week I was at Tecolote Canyon on the 18th hole.  After hitting my tee shot I came across a range ball a bit in front of the tee box. Since the range ball belonged on the chipping practice area/green, I pulled out my 9 iron and hit it towards the practice green about 120 yards away.  Two bounces followed by a clang and it went into the practice green hole (the only hole on the chipping green) for a "hole in one".  And, I've never had an actual hole in one.

hole in one..PNG

ouch

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I had one today.  On the par 5 15th hole, I hit my drive to the left side of the fairway, which is absolutely the wrong side to be on.  It's a very slight dogleg to the left and the right side is guarded by a big, ugly tree.  I seem to find myself there pretty often, so... I've become REALLY good at the low, slinging hook shot.   Today, though... I played the shot nearly to perfection.  The ball never got more than hip high and then ran nearly to the front of the green.  

The pin was in the back left, so all I needed to do was pitch the ball about 30 yards and I'd have a reasonable birdie putt.  I flubbed it and left it 40 feet short.  I managed to make par, but... it still ticked me off. 

Later, we went back to play the par 5 7th hole because we had skipped it to get around a slow moving group.  I hit a great drive into the wind and then pounded a 4 iron to about 50 yards shy of the hole.  Again... a halfway decent pitch shot would have given me a birdie attempt.  I hit that one only about 20 yards.  My follow-up shot never checked and left me 33 feet for par, which I missed low and settled for a bogey.  

So... essentially the same situation... twice... in the same round... and I wasted both.  

:pound:

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I hit a towering hook, off the eleventh tee, that cleared the trees and landed in the eighth fairway.  I played my second short of the eighth tee, turned ninety degrees, and found the eleventh green with my third.  Missed the par putt; but walked away with a bogie having never set foot on any part of the hole except the green.  At least it took the sand out of play.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Driveable par 4, 255 yards, tailwind. Hit my driver high right, hit a provisional to about 10'. Found the first, made 5. The provisional was therefore wasted.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

On 11/23/2016 at 4:15 PM, Valleygolfer said:

I did this with my 6 iron, which was supposed to be a 9. I don't even know how I did it, they are not even close to the same club. That is the epitome of an unforced error...

I once hit a 5 iron , 100 yards, because it was a sandwedge. Grabbed club, felt weird, thought it was nerves. Ball went straight up, looked down....hung head in shame. 

11 minutes ago, sirhacksalot said:

I once hit a 5 iron , 100 yards, because it was a sandwedge. Grabbed club, felt weird, thought it was nerves. Ball went straight up, looked down....hung head in shame. 

How well did you strike the SW though?

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

7 hours ago, alleztom said:

How well did you strike the SW though?

It was a perfect layup from 175 out.  Which gave me 65-70 in, messed that up, can't remember if I doubled or tripled the hole.

Edited by sirhacksalot

Played this shot from behind/below the 150-bush on the 18th at Cedar Knob in Connecticut.  I aimed almost 90 degrees left and hooked a low-line-drive 7 iron all the way around, into the hill over the water, and it popped up onto the green to tap in range.  Consider it an amazing wasted shot since I blasted my first tee shot way OB...so this lucky miracle was for bogey.

18th.png

- Bill

Playing one of my favorite courses a couple of years ago, and I'm kind of struggling and I get honors after playing #10 so I am all focused on hitting my tee shot on  #11 a par three.
I hit it to about 6 feet, and when I turn around my brother starts to laugh at the shot - as I had hit it to the wrong green.
They have a 2nd green on this hole, that is commonly called the Jr. green as you don't have to play over water and I was so focused on my swing that I completely zoned out and hit a great shot at the wrong target. In my "defense", I've only been playing this course for about 40 years and at least a hundred times.

Yup, I hit it to the green on the left, rather than the one on the right - I did scramble for a bogey, as there is a tree between the 2 greens that limits options for idiot shots like I hit.

Cascades #11.JPG

• Upvote 1

Players play, tough players win!

The only 300 yard drive I ever hit, only I didnt know it until 2 holes later.

I know it went to the left so I was looking in the rough, but only around 250. Couldnt find it so just dropped with penalties to speed up play as I thought I had a good idea of where it was to find it.

2 holes later, my friend looks off the 8th hole green and notices a ball my colour. Sure enough it was the ball I couldnt find, and it had a good clear 20 yard pitch to the green, albeit still in the rough.

Google earth'd the location and yeah, it was 300 yards and well beyond where I was looking. So yeah, wasted in that the only 300 yarder I ever hit and I didnt even get the chance to play it.

On 2/8/2017 at 9:51 AM, Wally Fairway said:

Playing one of my favorite courses a couple of years ago, and I'm kind of struggling and I get honors after playing #10 so I am all focused on hitting my tee shot on  #11 a par three.
I hit it to about 6 feet, and when I turn around my brother starts to laugh at the shot - as I had hit it to the wrong green.
They have a 2nd green on this hole, that is commonly called the Jr. green as you don't have to play over water and I was so focused on my swing that I completely zoned out and hit a great shot at the wrong target. In my "defense", I've only been playing this course for about 40 years and at least a hundred times.

Yup, I hit it to the green on the left, rather than the one on the right - I did scramble for a bogey, as there is a tree between the 2 greens that limits options for idiot shots like I hit.

Cascades #11.JPG

That's like a perfect wasted shot story. Thanks for the pic. I've never seen anything like that!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Needed to hit a big 210 yard hook around trees which was basically in front of the green on a 520 yard par 5 . Hit it perfect and it rolled right to the front edge. Literally the only way to get on that green in two.

Three putted for par! 

About 20 years ago a friend at work invited me to play a round at a course close to where he lived.  I think it was Knollwood in the valley (had to look it up).  We were heading back towards the clubhouse so it had to be the 9th.  I hit the longest drive of my life.  I caught a ridge and it just rolled.  It had to be somewhere around 275 yards.  I'm laying one, about 70 yards from the hole.  It should be an easy Par and maybe a Birdie.  I took a 6.  Missed the green, chipped on, and then 3 putted.

I have never forgotten that drive, or the final result... lol.

John

Note: This thread is 2637 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!