IGNORED

Most amazing wasted shot?

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What is your best "wasted" shot. In practice or didn't count for some reason?

My wasted shot was during a few practice holes a few years ago. I played our #1 hole and walked over adjacent to the 9th hole to the "gold tees" because they were close to where I was walking. The 9th hole is our #1 cap hole and the gold tees are only 280 yards to the hole. I believe I hit 3 iron and sliced it into the #1 fairway. I had about 80 yards to the hole and had to hit it over the trees to a hole I couldn't see. I took the shot and it looked good and I heard a faint clink. Sure enough, it went in for my second "eagle" at that time.

I am curious if anyone has ever shot or saw someone hit a hole in one after hitting a poor first shot.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The best drive I ever hit in my life.  I was at the tee box, water was just over 280 yards out so felt comfortable it wasn't in play for me.  Hit the best drive of my life, excitedly watched it fly, take a nice bounce on landing and roll right off the fairway into the water.  

Joe Paradiso

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I am curious if anyone has ever shot or saw someone hit a hole in one after hitting a poor first shot.

I haven't, but I have had something equally heartbreaking. I was playing a par 3 and the person who played before me didn't put the pin in all the way, sure enough I hit a great shot over the flag stick and spin it back only to hit the pin on the tilted side and kick out. Still to this day the closest I've come to an ace.

• Upvote 1

Nothing near as cool as these ^^^ stories, but last summer, after an incredible drive into the middle of the fairway, I put a 6 iron on the green, about 2’ from the cup. It was a beautiful, towering shot with a slight draw, and the ball just stuck when it hit. Just picture perfect. I was, you could even say, feeling a bit cocky as I walked down there – already thinking about my strategy for the next hole. But of course, you guessed it – I MISSED THE PUTT. I had a very small heart attack, followed by an out of body experience, as I watched the ball slowly dribble left of the cup.

When you are starting out in this game you rarely get an easy birdie look. Most of mine last summer were chip ins, or miraculous 30 footers, so, this was very heartbreaking. 2 beautiful shots wasted by a mental error… I still think about it.

Most all of mine have been long approach shots to with in a few feet of the pin. Then I missed the birdy putt. :pound:

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

20 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can't count the number of times that I've pounded a drive to SW length only to lay sod over top of it. :8)

Ditto - "Golf is hard"

2 minutes ago, Patch said:

Most all of mine have been long approach shots to with in a few feet of the pin. Then I missed the birdy putt. :pound:

Yep - been there too

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

My best wasted shot was at Torrey Pines North on the 16th.  Pulled my drive to the left over the fence, OB.  Re-tee'd and hit it down the middle.  Hit an eight iron from about 125 yards out that hit the green, released, and slow rolled into the hole... for a par (should of, could of, would of been an eagle.)

• Upvote 1

It was not really a wasted shot. The wastes came first, but I had a stupid sequence of shots on No. 6 at Miami Shores a few months ago. It's a short par four that even I should get GIRs on. Bladed my 60-yard approach over the green. Thinned the third past the hole and off the green. Absolutely fuming, I threw my wedge into the trap, grabbed my putter and whacked the ball in the general direction of the hole. ... The stupid thing banged into the pin and somehow tucked into the hole for a par.

During a round where I was struggling to find my groove I surveyed a manageable approach shot and took a quick glance at my bag to see where my 8 iron was before grabbing the club.  I was a bit frustrated but I took a breath, swung smoothly, made perfect contact, and watched my ball hold a laser-like line right at the flag....and sail over the green.  I had grabbed the 7 iron right next to the 8.  Naturally there was a drop off behind the green.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can't count the number of times that I've pounded a drive to SW length only to lay sod over top of it.

This past weekend. Nice hard ground, downhill, good tailwind, and a drive up the middle on a 319yd par 4 to end up with a 30 yard pitch shot to a front pin. Shanked it twice, all the way around the green. Finally chipped up to the back fringe and three-putted back down the hill for a triple. I thought the world had ended. Then followed it up with 3 pars and a bogey on the last four holes (including a sand save on the #1 hardest hole). Golf is maddening. But fun. :content:

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Par 4, 330 yard hole.  Hit a ball off the tee into a bunch of trees.  I figured I wouldn't find it so I hit a provisional.  We had a pretty serious drought this year and the fairways were rock hard.  That provisional ball rolled just to the edge of the green.  Of course, I found my first ball and had to play from a crap position.

• Upvote 1

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

6 hours ago, newtogolf said:

The best drive I ever hit in my life.  I was at the tee box, water was just over 280 yards out so felt comfortable it wasn't in play for me.  Hit the best drive of my life, excitedly watched it fly, take a nice bounce on landing and roll right off the fairway into the water.  

That's funny - 2 of the 3 longest drives I've ever hit in my life (in actual play) did the same thing.  

1 hour ago, caddystacks said:

During a round where I was struggling to find my groove I surveyed a manageable approach shot and took a quick glance at my bag to see where my 8 iron was before grabbing the club.  I was a bit frustrated but I took a breath, swung smoothly, made perfect contact, and watched my ball hold a laser-like line right at the flag....and sail over the green.  I had grabbed the 7 iron right next to the 8.  Naturally there was a drop off behind the green.

I did this with my 6 iron, which was supposed to be a 9. I don't even know how I did it, they are not even close to the same club. That is the epitome of an unforced error...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Another #1 hdcp hole on a front nine shot.  The hole is shaped like boomerang, huge R to L hole.  Fairway has a 30 degree tilt left and toward water.  You can easily drive through the fairway and into a tree line if you keep it right ... which I did.

The punch out shot from the trees is dangerous due to the fairway tilt down and left toward the water.  Get too far left and a stand of pines guards access to the green from the left and down below.

My punch out completely missed my line and went right of the mark by plenty.  It was a perfect-contact 6-iron with a first bounce on the cartpath 20 yards right of the green.  Ball continues on its pace taking the fairway contour left and heading for the middle of the green.  The pin was back left and the natural contour fed the ball directly to the hole leaving me 5 footer for birdie.

Y'all know what happened next. Could have been a lot worse than par, I guess.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

I can't count the number of times that I've pounded a drive to SW length only to lay sod over top of it. :8)

I've done that too. Hit a huge drive to like 60 yards (slightly uphill lie) and came up short of the fringe.

Kevin

3 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

It was not really a wasted shot. The wastes came first, but I had a stupid sequence of shots on No. 6 at Miami Shores a few months ago. It's a short par four that even I should get GIRs on. Bladed my 60-yard approach over the green. Thinned the third past the hole and off the green. Absolutely fuming, I threw my wedge into the trap, grabbed my putter and whacked the ball in the general direction of the hole. ... The stupid thing banged into the pin and somehow tucked into the hole for a par.

sounds like throwing the wedge into the trap was good luck

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

On 11/23/2016 at 5:24 PM, woodzie264 said:

sounds like throwing the wedge into the trap was good luck

That's what I thought. Tried it a half dozen times after than, not the same result.

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!