IGNORED

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

• Yes (as @iacas might say, deets please)
    • No

Yup, been there done that. I'm sure anyone who has witnessed my game will not be surprised to hear it. Par five number 11 of my home course. Pulled drive left and was behind two trees. I decided to do a punch shot and "curl" the ball around the tree as there was room and a big fairway.  I didn't want to give up even more distance with a straight perpendicular out. Well, the Willie Masconi of golf shots I am not, curled it right (read that as hit it dead straight) into the tree trunk and it came back and smacked me square in the nuts.  

Fortunately I was playing by myself, and fortunately it didn't hurt too much. I remember laughing about it, thinking how hysterical it would be to see someone do that to themselves. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted yes, sadly. 

Blackmoor GC, Steubenville, Ohio, Hole #3. A par 3. I somehow hit the ball on the back end of the hosel, bounced the ball off the ground and it hit me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

7 hours ago, billchao said:

Yup. Tried to punch out of the woods and caught a tree solid. The ball hit me square in the chest.

I haven't, but have been darn close, and it was this exact scenario. Tried to play a "hero" punch out, trying to still gain yardage instead of taking my medicine. Jeez, that ball went by me moving pretty fast!

Surprisingly, no.

One of the very few dumb things that I've avoided doing on the course...

...so far.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I've been hit by golf balls a couple of times while playing, but never by one that I hit.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

No. I've hit obstacles trying to punch out of trouble, but it never came back at me.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Not hit by my own golf ball. But how about your own wedge? I was practicing with my lob wedge, the head came off, went straight up then straight down on my head. I doubt I'll be able to duplicate that

• Upvote 1

I played a round in November where one of my approach shots rolled off an elevated green and into some trees. I thought I could gouge the ball out into safety; instead, it clipped a root, caromed off a truck, just grazed my right temple, and shot a good thirty yards deeper in the woods behind me.

I walked straight to the next tee after that.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

I had to vote no. Thankfully. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nope.

I am surprised at how many people said yes, though.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Never in a round but a few times in practice.  I've had this happen maybe 2 or 3 times in lots and lots of practicing . .I don't know what actually happened because I never got in on video. It's only ever happened hitting off my mat . .  But - basically I made a really wonky swing . .scooped the club under the ball like a fat shot with a wide-open clubface . .but, instead of just shank, the ball kind of got "caught on the face" as I continued to swing through . .end up hitting the ball several times with the club, maybe the shaft . . and on two times the ball hit me, too . .once on the hands and once on the shoe.  I mean . .it didn't hurt . .there was no speed at all on the ball when it hit me . .but I wouldn't know how to score that if it happened on the course.  

EDIT - Now that I think about it . .maybe it was a dead top with a wide-open clubface . . . no idea.

Edited by Rainmaker

Lucky enough to have voted no, however there has been some really close calls on some punch outs from the trees.  Hitting myself with my own golfball is probably my worst swing thought I have when punching out.

Not yet. But I have hit other people and things with golf balls, so I say give it time.

Dom's Sticks:

Callaway X-24 10.5° Driver, Callaway Big Bertha 15° wood, Callaway XR 19° hybrid, Callaway X-24 24° hybrid, Callaway X-24 5i-9i, PING Glide PW 47°/12°, Cleveland REG 588 52°/08°, Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 56°/13°, 60°/10°, Odyssey Versa Jailbird putter w/SuperStroke Slim 3.0 grip, Callaway Chev Stand Bag, Titleist Pro-V1x ball

Yep, did it also in a steep faced bunker while playing in the City Amateur tournament.  Called the penalty on myself.  The guys in they group were all like "we didn't see anything".  Well It did, penalty on me.  

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, in probably one of the most embarrassing ways ever.  It was during maybe my second month of learning golf.  I was at a two-tiered driving range on the bottom level.  I got tired of reaching back into my bag to pick up a different club so I decided I would just hit my 7 and 9 irons.  Vastly overestimating my ball-striking abilities, I placed the 9 iron in front of me on the mat.  I then proceeded to hit a ferocious worm burner with my 7 iron that bounced off the 9 iron up into the air and in between some beams.  It then bounced, no clanged loudly between the beams for at least 5-10 seconds.  As I noticed everyone pause and look my way, I tried to play it off with a shrug and a smile.  The golf gods waited until everyone was staring at me and then allowed the ball to drop right on my head. 

I've hit down on the ball ever since...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I've never hit myself with a golf ball before, not for lack of trying. I have hit myself with my own club head after a shot. In high school, I was playing horribly.  I had hooked a shot under a tree on the 6th hole. I proceeded to shank my next shot across the fairway. I tossed the club in the air, it hit a branch and hit me on top of the head. My coach saw it and told me it better had knocked some sense into me, and that I needed to par out not get in trouble. I parred that while, birdied the next and parted the last two to finish the round. 

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

• 11 months later...

I can't say as I have ever done that. I had a friend hit a ball off a tree and it zipped thru the golf cart I was sitting in and I remember diving for cover. My other friend was across the fairway on the ground he was laughing so hard. I cam honestly say  never hit myself with my own golf ball.

Note: This thread is 2276 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!