Sign in to follow this  
bkuehn1952

Your Best Round of 2016

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

37 posts / 3001 viewsLast Reply

What was your best round of golf in 2016?  In 100 words or less, give us a little recap of your best round of golf. Score is one standard but some might choose different reasons a round was best.  I will do so as soon as I think a little about this.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

My friends and family chose to celebrate July 4th on Sunday July 3. I stayed only for a few hours, went to bed early and played my best round of the year on the holiday solo at Miami Shores GC in Troy. Maybe it was the relatively clean living. Maybe I was just at peace with everything for that particular day, but I was in a comfortable zone and stayed there for the entire round. Not every shot was perfect, but they were all productive. I made some decent putts. I holed a wedge shot from 15-yards for birdie. Mainly I was just really, really calm. The result was an 82. To put that in perspective. That's the lowest score I've ever shot on a course not called the Dales Course (a shorty that measures less than 5,000 yards).

I haven't yet come anywhere close to that again.

In September our senior club had a Ryder Cup type event against a similar senior organization in Indiana.  I teamed with another member for two nine-hole matches (Fourball and Scottish Foursomes).  I was "on" right from the get go.  We recorded a victory in the Fourball (3 & 2) and I never let my partner down in the Scottish Foursomes (alternate shot), which we also won, 3 & 1.  Team play with team formats is a lot of fun, especially if you win.  ;-)

Shot an even par round in a competition this year. By far my best round of 2016. It included 2 3-putt pars and a lip out on my birdie putt on 18. That was a lot of fun.

My best round of golf I actually scored 2 "Personal Bests". On 12-21-16, my buddies and I were playing our regular rounds at River Valley Golf Course in Dyer, AR. On this day I hit my first birdy in 15 years and 2 holes later hit my first EAGLE!!! I also shot my all time low score of 88! I finally broke 90 and won the round!! Good day!!

My best round in 2016 was a 78 on a reasonably difficult course (I think the differential worked out to a 4).  I had doubles on holes 9 and 18, but the rest of the round was the best I've ever played.

I shot an 80 which was my best round of 2016. I've never had a round in the 70s. Maybe 2017. 

My best round of 2016 started off as a potential worst round of 2016.  I doubled the first 2 holes, both were 3 putts as well, and was 6 over after 5 holes.  I proceeded to play the next 13 holes at 2 under which included 5 birdies.  Funny thing about this round was that I was driving and striking the ball horribly, but my short game came around and really saved the day.

Round Stats:

43-33 - 76 (+4)

3/13 FW

5/18 Greens

26 Putts (2 fairway/fringe Putts went in)

It wasn't pretty, but I consider it my best round of 2016.

-2 69 at Galloping Hill in Jersey was probably my best round of 2016. The course isn't too difficult (even from the blacks) if you know the angles. But the wind was up that day, so i had to control my ball flight. It wasn't a tournament round, but ill take it. 

Carded a 76 at Bide-A-Wee.  A nice muni course more interesting than what I could summarize.

"Portsmouth’s challenging Bide-A-Wee Golf Course was a vision conceived by PGA Professional and Virginia Sports Hall of Famer, Chandler Harper in the early 1950’s. After playing in the Ryder Cup matches of 1955, Mr. Harper retired from competitive golf and hired Fred Findlay to build the new Portsmouth course.  The name originated from a conversation Mr. Harper and Findlay had about potential names for the new course. Mr. Findlay said “when I was a boy in Scotland, I started to run away from home. My Mother advised “you had better bide-a-wee.” To a Scot, that meant “stay a little longer or linger awhile.”  

Portsmouth native and Virginia Sports Hall of Famer, Ace Parker, joined Harper, Dizzy Dean and Tommy Bolt for the Opening Day Exhibition at Bide-A-Wee Golf Course in the Spring of 1956.  During the next 37 years, the course was managed by Chandler Harper and was four times the site of the Virginia State Open and six times the site of the World Senior Championships.

Virginia State Open Champions include Tom Strange, the late father of Curtis Strange. Senior Champion players featured Sam Snead, Max Faulkner, Kel Nagle, Julius Boros and Christy O’Conner.  Bide-A-Wee also hosted an annual Portsmouth City Amateur Tournament, believed to be the oldest city amateur golf event in the United States."

I have a few to consider, but I'll have to go with an even par round I shot in a best ball member-guest tournament back in August with my father-in-law at his club to help us win the event and get our names on a trophy!  Granted, it's an easy and short course (barely cracked the top 5 differentials of the year and the others are all 2, 4 or 6 over par rounds on normal length courses for me) but still ... we won and it was par! :)

34 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

but still ... we won and it was par! :)

:yess  A win is a win and with family it is even better.

Note: I was tempted to choose my 5 under (67) at my home course last month but not, i already proved to myself that i can shoot low scores at my home course.

I choose a 5 over (76) on the 2nd round of the only mid-am i played last year to make the cut by 2 strokes (155).
That day found me driving home really happy about making the cut after 13 years without compiting, a lot more happier than shooting 67 at my home course.

2017-01-25 12_21_32-My Score (9_9_16).jpg2nd ever under par round of my life - 2nd best score ever for 18.  So much going right that day.  Missed a good birdie opportunity on 10.  and the bogie on the front was a chubbed chip from just off the green where I failed to get up and down, but that was made up by chunking an easy approach on 9 which headed WAY left and short and then luckily hitting the cart path that shot the ball to the green.  Even got mixed with a very fun 2 some on the back nine.

I had another round (76) on a local favorite where I was playing with a friend and hit every fairway (unusual for me) and started the front 5 holes at 3 under...but after looking at that score card, it's not even close to this one.

and the day I found over 150 balls - that was cool too.

Note: This thread is 993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!