IGNORED

Playing All The Same Brand Clubs

Note:Β This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

My current set is TM driver, TM 3-SW irons, a Golden Bear 60* wedge, and am now looking to add a 3 wood (possibly Mizuno if I play it well) and am looking for a 50* TM gap wedge, ideally the same as the set of irons I currently have.

For me keeping things different is fine but the following must match.

Driver can be any brand.

All my other woods must match

Irons from 3-9 or 3-SW must match

Wedges must matchif 3-9 iron set

My putter will mostly never change throughout my life

I like my irons to match because the feel is generally similar for all the irons because specs are set u pthat way

What's in the bag

• Taylor Made r5 dual Draw 9.5* (stiff)
  • Cobra Baffler 4H (stiff)
  • Taylor Made RAC OS 6-9,P,S (regular)
  • Golden Bear LD5.0 60* (regular)
  • Aidia Z-009 Putter
  • Inesis Soft 500 golf ball

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

not a matching set, but consistent for woods, hybrids, irons and wedges. Ping G30 driver and 5 wood. I don't think I'll be changing that 5 wood anytime soon, it's awesome. Titleist 915 hybrids, 3&4. I have tried a lot of different models, these just work for me better than anything else I've tried. Mizuno irons, Vokey 54 & 58 and either a Scotty or Ping Craz-E-R. Really different, but comfortable with either. So a mix of brands of clubs I like.Β Β Β 

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* :Β Fairway - Ping G30 18* :Β Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* &Β 915 H 24* :Β Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 ForgedΒ 5Β - GW :Β Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 :Β Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio SelectΒ Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-RΒ  :Β Ball - Bridgestone B330RX,Β Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

6 hours ago, Shorty said:

Have a look at the bags of pros who are out of contract if you get the chance.

This is when they have the freedom to play what they REALLY want to play and you'll find that they are very oftenΒ literally mixed bags.

Also, many pros prefer not to have a 13 or 14 club contract.

Obviously, my irons match (Brand W), as do my fairway woods and hybrids, (Brand X) Β but I play different brands of putter (Brand Y) andΒ driver (Brand Β Z). My wedges are the same brand as my irons. (Brand W)Β :-)

Welcome back! Hope all is well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Play what works & what you like - my bag currently has some Callaway, Titleist, Cleveland and Hogan; and my garage offers even more diversity if any of those decide to have an off streak.

Players play, tough players win!

Having everything in the bag matching just for the sake of having your stuff match is kind of weird… IMHO...i have a buddy whose whole bag INCLUDING the bag brand all match. And he wears that brand for his shirt and hat. Looks like an assclown but I still love him.

Colin P.

On 1/28/2017 at 6:54 AM, colin007 said:

Having everything in the bag matching just for the sake of having your stuff match is kind of weird… IMHO...i have a buddy whose whole bag INCLUDING the bag brand all match. And he wears that brand for his shirt and hat. Looks like an assclown but I still love him.

This must be a fashion or style thing? Some golfers just want to look good on the course, so they match everything for style, and not necessarily performance?

I'm not really into this and tend to agree with your assessment, but if I had money to burn you'd probably see even me out there on occasion with the "assclown" getup. :-D

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My bag is primarily Ping gear.Β  Driver, fairway woods and irons, (6-GW) are Ping.Β  I do have a 'can't-miss' Callaway 5 hybrid, Vokey 54 and 58* wedges and a Odyssey putter.

Β 

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I used to play all of the same clubs, but now:

TitleistΒ 913 Driver (9.5)

Callaway BB Mini Driver (14)

Callaway X2 hot 3/4 hybrid

Callaway x2 Hot 4/5/6 Hybrid

CAllaway BB 7 hybrid

Titleist AP2 Iron (7-GW)

Edel 54 and 58 degree Wedges

Edel Clasic Putter

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

2 hours ago, Lihu said:

This must be a fashion or style thing? Some golfers just want to look good on the course, so they match everything for style, and not necessarily performance?

I'm not really into this and tend to agree with your assessment, but if I had money to burn you'd probably see even me out there on occasion with the "assclown" getup. :-D

TBH, its his wife. lol...she treats him like a Ken Doll and dresses him up for when they go out golfing. shameful.

Colin P.

I generally like the irons through PW to match. Everything else is a free-for-all.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 SΒ Β Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;Β Β Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts-Β TT AMT Red S300Β ;Β WedgesΒ Vokey SM8Β 56-10DΒ Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5Β Β Ball:Β Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

19 hours ago, dbuck said:

I generally like the irons through PW to match. Everything else is a free-for-all.

There's a good reason for that though. Usually you want some semblance of a uniform gap between the irons.

My clubs have a good gap, about 10 yards between the wedges to the 4i and even my hybrid goes only about 20 yards farther. Of course, my GG shows otherwise. . . :-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I prefer to be matching throughout the bag (bag included!), but i've softened on that stance in recent years. I have a Callaway Driver, TaylorMade Woods and Irons and one Wedge, a Ben Hogan Wedge, and an Edel putter. Plus, a PING bag!Β 

I'm looking to go full Edel for Irons and Wedges and full Callaway for Woods in the future. Uniformity in my clubs gives me comfort. No real reason why.Β 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 |Β TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood |Β Edel 3-PW | 52Β° | 60Β° | Blade Putter

I've finally unified my bag, mostly. Β Just got my new 3W and 2H in the mail yesterday. Β So I got a Ping driver, 3W, 2H, 4-pw irons. Β My wedges are cleveland and my putter is Odessy. I won't ever get a new putter unless it's a scotty so I can look at it. Β Wedges are based on how I feel that year, but you can customize them all these days so that play really similar, imo. Β As far as the longer clubs, I upgraded my shafts to X flex and Ping plays slightly offset, so playing a random hybrid from titleist will feel and play slightly different because they are generally not offset. Β I play Ping because that's what we stock in my shop and I enjoy playing them.Β 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach;Β Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI
Β 
TeamΒ :srixon:!

23 hours ago, Lihu said:

the "assclown" getup. :-D

Haha this is actually taking up a lot of real estate in my brain right now!Β  I'm planning to get properly fitted for new driver/irons/wedges next month, and terrified of being the "Parking Lot Guy."

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/18-most-annoying-golf-partners#5

Buddies are all over me with "When does Q-school start?" after hearing about lessons & new clubs...might be time to go full heel and get those neon pants to match my bag.

• Upvote 3

- Bill

Β 

Β 

1 minute ago, Let it Fly said:

Haha this is actually taking up a lot of real estate in my brain right now!Β  I'm planning to get properly fitted for new driver/irons/wedges next month, and terrified of being the "Parking Lot Guy."

http://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/18-most-annoying-golf-partners#5

Buddies are all over me with "When does Q-school start?" after hearing about lessons & new clubs...might be time to go full heel and get those neon pants to match my bag.

:-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

• 2 weeks later...

For me I am all about performance and cost, if I can get a good deal on a new club and it performs for me the brand doesn't matter. My bag only has matching iron set 4-A, these are full swing clubs, then I also match my manipulation wedges, 56ΒΊ and 60ΒΊ. My driver, 3 wood, UT, and putter don't match and I love every club

Callaway GBB 9ΒΊ
Titleist 913F 15Β°
King Cobra Utility Iron 19.5ΒΊ
Srixon z765 4-AW
VokeyΒ sm5 56Β°,Β 60Β°
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6

I have a touch of OCD so I have been wanting to get all clubs with one brand. Β Right now my irons are all one brand, driver is Callaway, and woods and wedges are Titleist Β Β 

When it comes down to it you really need to play with what fits you best, but for some folks like myself I tend to want the same brand for feel and to calm the OCD tendencies.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!