IGNORED

Martin Hall, School of Golf

Note:Β This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Did anyone see Martin's school of golf show tonight? I was trying to pay attention to the swing sequence he was describing. But, I was distracted by Blair, lol. He said, the swing sequence is, swing, turn and shift. Then clearly he said, the downswing started with a shift - then it is turn and swing on the follow through, correct. Thanks, SG

Edited by Sandhills Golfe

29 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Did anyone see Martin's school of golf show tonight? I was trying to pay attention to the swing sequence he was describing. But, I was distracted by Blair, lol. He said, the swing sequence is, swing, turn and shift. Then clearly he said, the downswing started with a shift - then it is turn and swing on the follow through, correct. Thanks, SG

Honestly, with Blair on there I learn nothing :)

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW,Β Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

40 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Honestly, that's so vague. You really need to focus on what your specific priority piece is. Those shows are really just spiffy bandaid type things that gloss over the fact that everyone needs individualized instruction.

• Upvote 2

Colin P.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, Sandhills Golfe said:

Β 

16 minutes ago, zero said:

I saw her in person at the Diamond Resorts Int'l tournament down here a few weeks ago. You are both right to be distracted. As a matter of fact, who is Martin Hall.Β :-P

- Shane

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

vague

Yeah.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

If you wanted to learn how to make an omelet and all there was on the Food Channel were individual segments, like how to turn your oven on, how to boil water, how to separate egg yolks, how to beat eggs, all out of order - that is instruction on the Golf Channel. Learn how to beat eggs and you're well on your way to making that tasty cheese omelet!Β 

I'm being a little harsh here, but that's the gist of the reality. To be fair, it's really hard to teach everyone as a whole, probably impossible. How did so many people get good? Probably in spite mass produced instruction and their own talent?

What GC folks areΒ really good at is making you think like you feel like you know what you're doing - it's more charisma and stage presenceΒ and the always dependable putting attractive people on the screen.

Off topic but what happened to Golf Channel's custom individual online lessons? Looks like it's gone. At least at one time, they could have pointed you to something catered to the individual.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I've always found the theory behind School of Golf to be confusing.

1) A true beginner cannot learn anything from this show because it does not start from the beginning to show proper initial form. Β Nor should it; one cannot have a weekly show that always starts from step-1.

2) Someone who has been playing for a while will get nothing out of most episodes, get something out of very few episodes, and pick up something incorrect for their particular swing from the remaining episodes.

3) Someone constantly learning, like myself, can generally pick something up, but it gets contradicted a few weeks later when a pro with a different swing style wins over the weekend. Β I'm glad I've never seen a show saying "Loop it Like Furyk".

4) Having someone like Blair as aΒ "student"Β is basically lying to people. Β "Ok, everyone, today's lesson is to say 'banana peppers'. Β Blair, when you start your back swing, say 'banana' in a French accent, then say 'pepper' when you start the downswing. Β Don't forget to roll your 'Rs'Β in 'pepper'". Β (Blair Swings) "Well look at that, the former NCAA female with the longest drive was able to hit the ball straight and long. Β Just goes to show, a 'rolling banana pepper' will help your game. Β Buy my books."

5) I think Blair looked better on The Big Break, before she had all the work done. Β She looks great now, I just think she looked better as herself.

• Upvote 2

• Administrator
1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

If you wanted to learn how to make an omelet and all there was on the Food Channel were individual segments, like how to turn your oven on, how to boil water, how to separate egg yolks, how to beat eggs, all out of order - that is instruction on the Golf Channel. Learn how to beat eggs and you're well on your way to making that tasty cheese omelet!Β 

I'm being a little harsh here, but that's the gist of the reality. To be fair, it's really hard to teach everyone as a whole, probably impossible. How did so many people get good? Probably in spite mass produced instruction and their own talent?

To have a good*Β instructional show, you'd have to do very very specific shows.

1. You'd first have to pick the flaw you're trying to fix. Maybe it's something as simple as getting people to turn MORE on the backswing.
  2. You'd then have to narrow the field down to those who have this as a big problem in their swing. You'd basically have to teach people how to self-assess this one problem.Β This (both telling them to assess, and whether this is one of their main flaws)Β eliminates some large percentage of your audience.
  3. Then you'd have to give several drills to teach the better backswing. Are they limited because they physically can't turn? Their hips are frozen? They believe the rear knee should stay flexed? They sway and that limits their turn? They hinge the wrists and bend the elbow too much? They turn flat so if they turn too far they lose sight of the golf ball? Etc.

By the time you do all of that, you've used your whole hour, and when I said "good" above I put an asterisk next to it because this isn't a very good show either.

But the rubes will keep watching, because everyone likes to think they're one tip away from playing their best golf ever.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

To have a good*Β instructional show, you'd have to do very very specific shows.

1. You'd first have to pick the flaw you're trying to fix. Maybe it's something as simple as getting people to turn MORE on the backswing.
  2. You'd then have to narrow the field down to those who have this as a big problem in their swing. You'd basically have to teach people how to self-assess this one problem.Β This (both telling them to assess, and whether this is one of their main flaws)Β eliminates some large percentage of your audience.
  3. Then you'd have to give several drills to teach the better backswing. Are they limited because they physically can't turn? Their hips are frozen? They believe the rear knee should stay flexed? They sway and that limits their turn? They hinge the wrists and bend the elbow too much? They turn flat so if they turn too far they lose sight of the golf ball? Etc.

By the time you do all of that, you've used your whole hour, and when I said "good" above I put an asterisk next to it because this isn't a very good show either.

But the rubes will keep watching, because everyone likes to think they're one tip away from playing their best golf ever.

This^. Self assessment, or more essentially correct self assessment is necessary to get anything useful. Of course, if you are good enough to properly self assess, then the show has little to teach you anyway. You already know what he/they will tell you.

Although, I will say, not much they say is confusing. Blair/Sara add to the entertainment. Of course, it is also a good visual reminder watching them swing that most good swings are rarely loopy and don't have 'sudden bursts' anywhere in the swing route that throw you off balance.Β One can assign whatever 'value' to thatΒ one may.Β Β Β 

Vishal S.

Actually, what I saw of last night's episode (when I wasn't busy laying a bathroom floor) wasn't bad. Β It really brought together the fact that "Swing Slower" is physically incorrect, although it may be "feel" correct. Β The real issue is that bad golfers tend to swing the club too early in an effort to swing faster.

Golf is riddled with good and bad advice tied up in poor word choices. Β I spent years as a teen+ incorrectly assuming what was meant when an instructor told me I had a "weak" grip. Β I knew not to grip too tightly, but I "obviously" had to grip tighter thanΒ I was because my grip was too loose (oh, those wasted years). Β This past weekend's televised event had an announcer state that a golfer's wrist was bowed in one direction, but it should have been bowed the other way. Β Now, I cannot always remember which way "bowed" is supposed to be, but I do know that "bowed" is one particular direction and "cupped" is the other way.

Mmmm, McLessons.....

I don't like Martin, don't watch him at all.Β  Sometimes Breed, when he takes a specific golfer and walks their swing.Β  The process can be entertaining, but not usually illuminating.

These are just for the show and entertainment, anything learned is likely accidental and probably counter productive.

Bill -Β 

Golf Fix is closer to a good show. Β Really wish I could have recorded his putting setup pad that he went through last week.

But, most people watching a channel dedicated to golf do not need the basics that his show teaches either. Β Especially when, like last week, he made two putts while demonstrating an incorrect swing, but missed the putt after applying his "fix".

20 hours ago, zero said:

Β 

20 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Β 

I saw her in person at the Diamond Resorts Int'l tournament down here a few weeks ago. You are both right to be distracted. As a matter of fact, who is Martin Hall.Β :-P

I may be risking my first (and likelyΒ only)Β warning on TST, but I thought it appropriate to consider all the elements in play when participating in these discussions. Β 

IMG_4114.JPG.2b9ceebcdf501adb4cd312fc5eacd7fa.JPGIMG_4115.JPG.996a37084ad7235fd08e974b44786c61.JPGIMG_4113.thumb.JPG.b214ecb5f1a8ba602fbdf78bee01b5fe.JPG

Β 

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue STΒ Β / Β Woods:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 5W /Β Hybrid:Β :tmade:Β Stealth 25* /Β Irons: :ping:Β i500’s /Β Β Wedges:Β :edel:Β 54*, 58*;Β Putter:Β :scotty_cameron:Β Futura 5 Β Ball:Β image.pngΒ Vero X1

Β 

Β -Jonny

nice shoes.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 2/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, Sandhills Golfe said:

He said, the swing sequence is, swing, turn and shift. Then clearly he said, the downswing started with a shift - then it is turn and swing on the follow through.....

Maybe Martin was distracted as well.

Β 

5 hours ago, acerimusdux said:

Maybe Martin was distracted as well.

Β 

wouldn't be the first time a man was reduced to a glibbering idiot in the presence of a femme fatale.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,Β  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge:Β ExoticsΒ EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge:Β Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Β shaft, /Β Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge:Β Exotics EXi 6 -PWΒ  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:Β  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Loving how thisΒ thread morphs.

OP has a question.Β 

Forumites fixate on Blair (my guess: mostΒ members are male)

Forumites blast Golf channel instructionΒ 

Forumites blast BlairΒ 

Forumites blast Martin

No-one answers OP

Hacker James-right on

22 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

Loving how thisΒ thread morphs.

OP has a question.Β 

Forumites fixate on Blair (my guess: mostΒ members are male)

Forumites blast Golf channel instructionΒ 

Forumites blast BlairΒ 

Forumites blast Martin

No-one answers OP

Hacker James-right on

IMO, the second answer was spot on to OPs question. Feel ain't real. Posting a video would be more helpful. Post a video on the member swings forum. It's been bludgeoned to death here that asking for swing advice without context isn't going to get you far.

Β 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note:Β This thread is 2628 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!