IGNORED

Anything that will drop a 20 to a 15? A 15 to a 10?

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Work on your short game.  Putting, chipping, 100 yards and in shots.  This will drop you a few strokes if you can get better at it.  Then once you have shaved a few strokes from the short game, I would work on 100-170 shots.  Don't neglect the rest of the game, but spend a little more time on those.  I took these steps the past few years and dropped 4 strokes.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

play more

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

This is almost entirely dependent on whatever the primary focus of improvement is for the player. One person *me* could be struggling with a flip, and what I need to work in would be completely different from someone who is fighting an over the top/outside to in slice issue. There really isn't any one fix that anyone can use to drop a bunch of strokes.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Depends on your timeframe:

- Less than 24 hours? Gameplanning/mental preparedness. 

- 1 day to 1 month? Chipping/Pitching/Putting/General short game focus

- 1 month or more? Focus on ball striking and the long game.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Big C said:

Depends on your timeframe:

- Less than 24 hours? Gameplanning/mental preparedness. 

- 1 day to 1 month? Chipping/Pitching/Putting/General short game focus

- 1 month or more? Focus on ball striking and the long game.

These are good, however, its possible the first two might not even apply.  It is possible to be good at gameplanning with a higher handicap, and it's also possible to be a good putter and chipper with a higher handicap.

The bottom line is that there is no magic solution to improve at golf except to .... "get better."

Agree with @Golfingdad's caveats, but I'd also say that while yes, there are 15 handicaps who have a decent to solid short game, I'd bet the vast majority of 15-20 cappers could drop a couple of strokes in relatively short order from short game focus.  How many 15-20 cappers have you seen who can basically never miss the green from 30 yards with a reasonable lie and no obstructions?  How many can get a good lie nGIR shot inside of 10 feet a pretty good percent of the time?  How many very rarely 3-putt and can drop 8 footers 30% of the time?  

Not claiming I do all these things, but those are all achievable goals in a relatively short amount of time with significant practice, and versus the median 15-20 capper I bet you could pretty easily drop 3+ strokes that way, and maybe get up to 5 with game planning if that's not been a focus.  Of course, once you've maxed those out and you're sitting in the 10-15 range, there's no choice but to take your medicine and simply improve your full stroke ball striking!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

1 hour ago, Blackjack Don said:

Is there one thing that a 20 hcp can do to drop 5 strokes? Anything a 15 can do to be a ten?

There are members here who have dropped five strokes by reading LSW I think.- @iacas?

• Upvote 1

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

• Administrator
  • Two shots practicing your short game. It's not going to help too much more than that, but it'll help a reasonable amount in the short term.
  • One to two shots just learning how to better putt - by that I mean not leaving short putts short of the hole, and by hitting longer putts the exact distance of the hole.
  • Two shots with smarter play. That doesn't mean game planning all of your full-swing shots, but for example… choosing the proper short game shot. KISS.

Generally speaking, that is.

The best actual advice I can give? Find a good instructor and work with him. He'll save you as many strokes as possible, limited by of course your own work ethic and ability.

Addendum: Yes, and while I appreciate the mention @Phil McGleno, Don seems to have no interest. His loss. :-)

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

16 minutes ago, iacas said:
  • Two shots practicing your short game. It's not going to help too much more than that, but it'll help a reasonable amount in the short term.
  • One to two shots just learning how to better putt - by that I mean not leaving short putts short of the hole, and by hitting longer putts the exact distance of the hole.
  • Two shots with smarter play. That doesn't mean game planning all of your full-swing shots, but for example… choosing the proper short game shot. KISS.

Generally speaking, that is.

The best actual advice I can give? Find a good instructor and work with him. He'll save you as many strokes as possible, limited by of course your own work ethic and ability.

Addendum: Yes, and while I appreciate the mention @Phil McGleno, Don seems to have no interest. His loss. :-)

Well I'm very pleased that my 3+ shots with improved near/on green play and up to 2 with smarter play estimates agree with your much more informed estimates!

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

22 minutes ago, Phil McGleno said:

There are members here who have dropped five strokes by reading LSW I think.- @iacas?

I know I've posted this in several areas before, but for Don's sake, I dropped from a 14 to a 9 in approx 6-7 months last year with LSW. If you don't want to buy & read the book, you don't care about improving your score.

• Upvote 2

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I am reading "Lowest Score Wins". It's very logical and doesn't pull any punches re: common misconceptions about the game. Everything is backed up with facts... I fully expect to drop 5 strokes or more this season just based on some of this info.

2 hours ago, Blackjack Don said:

Is there one thing that a 20 hcp can do to drop 5 strokes? Anything a 15 can do to be a ten?

12.7 - (LSW + LSW Clinic + online help from Erik + 2 years playing every day) = 8.5

Not quite 5 strokes. . .

Sustaining that = play twice a week and practice once or twice.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

This depends on talent.  I have a friend who takes lessons, gets good advice, good drills, but just can't seem to make changes to his swing.  His practice swing is ok, but he can't do it when there is a ball in the way.  He said his instructor even went as far as blind folding him while swinging.  This has been going on for a couple years.  

Then again, Haney seemed to have helped even Barkley

I would say practice, but you have to be practicing the right things. To make sure that you are practicing the right things (priority piece) you have to have worked with a good instructor to identify what that is. Not only do you have to practice, but you have to relentlessly practice on a daily basis to ingrain the new motion / feels. On top of that, you have to make sure that you ONLY work on that priority piece and NOT get distracted by tips, tricks, or gadgets that are not related to your piece. Then you have to take all that to the course and execute.

Then, on to the next priority piece while making sure you don't revert to old habits.

Easy peasy. 

• Upvote 1

- Shane

1. Find a good teaching Pro with whom you communicate well and 2. work on course management. Worked for me.

Edited by phan52
  • Upvote 1

Bill M

why don't you play a few rounds without keeping score, not even in your head?  You may surprize yourself.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2626 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!