IGNORED

2017 WGC-Mexico Championship

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Ernest Jones said:

McIlroy in fine form. Could be back to world #1 by Sunday. 

Yeah I don't think he can get enough points to close the gap, especially with DJ playing well.
He could get back to #2, with Day not playing

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Wally Fairway said:

Yeah I don't think he can get enough points to close the gap, especially with DJ playing well.
He could get back to #2, with Day not playing

I believe if Rory wins and DJ finishes below 4th, Rory can take the #1 spot. But I agree, DJ looks like he'll keep pace with Rory. They are both tearing it up. Good times!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Sounds like DJ is playing great today.  I'm pulling for Phil, though.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

DJ toe gear effect 

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I thought cameras weren't allowed?

image.jpeg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

17 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

image.jpeg

I thought it was a per-tournament decision.

7 minutes ago, krupa said:

I thought it was a per-tournament decision.

There's also a lot of people who don't care to follow rules... Tournament-wise, i feel like thomas came out of nowhere. His back 9 is pretty crazy!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

With a newer event location I'm thinking that the powers that be are more lenient.   Did you see where a fan picked up Phil's ball?

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

With a newer event location I'm thinking that the powers that be are more lenient.   Did you see where a fan picked up Phil's ball?

I missed that, but I did see where DJ lost his in a tree long enough to declare it list and hit a new one.  

Man, there was some crazy stuff going on out there today! Mickelson's round was amazing since he was "Phil of the Jungle" for a stretch on the back.

Spieth finally got on track with a 63.

DJ's "gear effect" shot was wild since he almost completely missed that ball! I don't know why, but as an amateur I find it hopeful that even pros can do that!

Justin Thomas is bringing it, and Rory is playing well. The event is well attended, and the course kind of reminds me of Winged Foot or Baltusrol.

9 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Man, there was some crazy stuff going on out there today!

Definitely an entertaining day in golf - good stuff with a strong leaderboard.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Why do the commentators keep talking about the "City center" when guys miss putts? Is the this same freaking nonsense about greens always break towards the water? It's so annoying....

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

41 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Why do the commentators keep talking about the "City center" when guys miss putts? Is the this same freaking nonsense about greens always break towards the water? It's so annoying....

Well, it's kind of like Augusta, where the clubhouse is at the highest point of the property and Rae's creek is at the absolute bottom. Everything slopes that way! We have some courses around here that are built on very hilly land, and some of the greens are very hard to read.

One thing I've learned is that you need to read greens with your feet! When you set up over a putt, and you feel your weight settling into your heels or your toes, THAT is what tells you how the ground slopes!

41 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Well, it's kind of like Augusta, where the clubhouse is at the highest point of the property and Rae's creek is at the absolute bottom. Everything slopes that way

I could be wrong, I don't claim to be an expert, but I don't buy it. You can't tell me that every green breaks away from the high point on the course as if the course designers don't create slopes on their greens.

Agreed about readings greens he the feet. Firm believer in AimPoint. :beer:

• Upvote 1

-Jonny

9 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

That's one of the 'myths' that announcers keep perpetuating. Putts break downhill, period. General topography may influence how a course is put together. But a good green designer will put in optical illusions that counter the topography. This is why AimPoint works so well as you have noted.

• Upvote 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

That's one of the 'myths' that announcers keep perpetuating. Putts break downhill, period. General topography may influence how a course is put together. But a good green designer will put in optical illusions that counter the topography. 

Exactly my point. The commentators just naive snd ignorant. It's fine for them to say something like that...I mean they're commentators, It's just annoying to hear that sort of thimg over and over again.

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!