IGNORED

Golf Ball Ranking by Everyday Golfers

Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Golf Ball Ranking by Everyday Golfers  

85 members have voted

1. 1. Price points, marketing, compression, spin rates, number of cores, cover material, oh my! Considering all or none of the above, what are your top 3 golf ball brands?

• Bridgestone
    • Callaway
    • Pinnacle
    • Snell
    • Srixon
    • Taylormade
    • Titleist
    • Top-Flite
    • Volvik
    • Wilson

On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 10:32 PM, saevel25 said:

I went Snell, Bridgestone, Titliest

Ditto - I was a long time e6 guy and just switched to Snell's MTB and love it.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Volvik Vibe. I scrambled for 5 pars and made 30 putts last weekend. 

Next Bridgestone e6 for help off the tee, then Titleist NXT Tour for short game.

Admittedly, if I ever became good off the tee this list might change.

Only chose Bridgestone and Titelist as that's all I typically play.  All the tour/high-end balls are pretty equitable though.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

I generally stick with Titleist and play the ProV1 & ProV1x mostly, but only because my dad works at a golf course and gives me all the ones he finds along with hundreds of others in various brands (he only plays Callaway). If I run out of V1(x)s, it's on to DT Solo or NXT. Before that, I typically just played a cheap-o Noodle or something (back then, I lost them too much to spend any more than that).

I've gotten so used to not paying for golf balls now, though, that if I ever run out of Titleist I'll just start playing other name brand balls I have until my dad sends me more. ;-)

Edit: To expand briefly... at the end of the day, I don't think I really care as long as the ball feels decent, but I have to feel like I know what the ball is going to do. I like to play an aggressive short-game. I'm okay if I can't (if a ball rolls to much), but I want to know that. So, I stick with Titleist because I (feel like I) know more about how each of their balls will react to my wedge. I'm sure I could get used to something else, though.

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

after reading raomins post I have to change my reply (which was an indication of golf balls I buy)

- balls I find in the woods
- balls I find in the water
- balls I steal borrow from my cart partner

Players play, tough players win!

Snell and Taylormade for me.

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

If I had to only use 3 of the brands that are listed, they would be 1. Bridgestone; 2. Volvik; 3. Srixon, in that order. 

Actually the order does not matter that much to me. I would probably shoot the same scores with just about any ball I use. Bridgestone is more readily available than the other two, and is why I listed their brand #1. 

I read some where that most amateurs only get about 70% of the advertised qualities of a ball. Slower swing speeds, poor club impacts with the ball, are the culprits. Not sure this is true, but it's possible I suppose. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Put a Titleist DT Solo on the tee and my confidence level elevates more than any other ball.  2nd on my top 3 list is Calloway Chrome Super Soft.  Finally, Bridgestone holds the # 3 spot.

The price of the DT Solos isn't bad at $19.95/doz.

My rankings are as follows: 1. Bridgestone B330 RX. 2. Titleist PRO V1. 3. Bridgestone B330.

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Ranking them carefully I'll go with: 1) Found balls, 2) Donated balls and running a very distant third, 3) the cheapest recycled balls I can find.

Edited by mcanadiens
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, I also marvel at how many ProV1s I find when I'm looking thru the rough. 

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

7 hours ago, HitAndGiggle said:

As mentioned above, I also marvel at how many ProV1s I find when I'm looking thru the rough. 

Just gave three dozen to my new playing partner. He was in heaven. I find tons of them and I sure as heck can't play them so no use to me. 

I play Bridgestone B330-RXS or Wilson Staff Duo Spin.  I really haven't been able to see a difference between the two.  I just got six dozen prior generation Wilson's to complement the three dozen Bridgestone's in my closet.  Should get me through June.

Another masochist ensnared by golf

Maybe it is mental, but I've played Titleist NXT Tour S for a few years, and tried the Pro V1s and swore I was getting much better around and on green control.  Then that control seemed to disappear, which (other than my obvious skill level, or lack thereof), makes me think they nearly play about the same, so why pay more?

Dave 

Driver: Callaway X2 Hot 13.5*    Woods: Callaway X2 Hot 5W      Hybrids: Callaway X2 Hot Hybrid 3

Irons: Callaway X Hot 4-9    

Wedges: Callaway X Hot PW and AW, Mack Daddy S Grind 60*/10,  Mack Daddy C Grind 56*/14 

Putter: Odyssey Versa #1

I haven't tried the Snell, so mine are Titleist, Bridgestone, Callaway.

My favorite premium ball is the ProV1; my favorite economy ball is the DT SoLo. This is a slight switch from a couple years ago, when I favored the B330 slightly over the ProV1. The mid-priced Bridgestones have never quite "clicked" for me, pun intended.

I honestly had some thought between the Callaway and Wilson, believe it or not. I play a lot of vintage golf, and the Wilson at my skill level is not much different from the Callaway in vintage play. I like the Callaway better with modern equipment though.

I find that day in, day out, regardless of the type of equipment, that I get better performance on good shots with the ProV1 than any other. I don't lose a lot of balls, normally, so now that I live closer to a Dick's, ProV x-outs may push DT's out of the bag.

I need to get around to trying the Snells, I guess.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Pimarily Bridgestone B330RX and ProV1.  I've also tried and liked the MTB.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2562 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!