IGNORED

"GOLFING" - is it a word?

ram22592
Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Since this was initiated in January, I'll attribute it to SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder). I will acknowledge some of the recent posters in saying that English is one of the more screwed up languages on the planet. It's very versatile, but that is part of it's problem. I've heard it said many times that English is the hardest second language to learn.

Years back there was a comedian whose name escapes me now, who had a whole routine of making fun of the English language. He'd point out similarities in spelling with differences in pronunciation like, cough, rough, and slough. But his capper was the words go (goe) and do (doo). As he put it, "It's as simple as the words go and do! Words comprised of two letters apiece that aren't pronounced alike! Hey! Let's go do something!"

I figure golfing is the least of our worries.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

iI'm going to  my grave with this but golf is a game and therefor you play a game.You don't tennis you don't football you don't basketball- you PLAY these games you morons.These games became sports due to public demands but you don't tennis you don't baseball -you play these games.There is no argument to refute this and I challenge anyone to do so.You play a game like golf and anything other interpretation is invalid.Webster is wrong and they won't respond to me because they can't defend their moronic internal limits 

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Yes.

You can "serve" a ball in tennis, but "serve" can also be a noun (or an adjective).

You can also "golf" a ball. You'll hear it during baseball games… "Man, he really golfed that one out of the dirt."

You can't "tennis" because "tennis" can't be used as a verb. "Golf" can be used as a verb.

That said, I rarely use "golf" as a verb (or a gerund).

P.S. People certainly use "bowl" as a verb (and thus use the word "bowling"). Nobody goes to "play bowl" or "play bowling."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

13 hours ago, tmclennan said:

iI'm going to  my grave with this but golf is a game and therefor you play a game.You don't tennis you don't football you don't basketball- you PLAY these games you morons.These games became sports due to public demands but you don't tennis you don't baseball -you play these games.There is no argument to refute this and I challenge anyone to do so.You play a game like golf and anything other interpretation is invalid.Webster is wrong and they won't respond to me because they can't defend their moronic internal limits 

As much as I dislike the use of the term ("I went golfing yesterday"..." no you didn't, you played golf"), there's no question its a valid word.  But really, for a newcomer to TST to begin his posting career by insulting those who disagree with him, that's just poor form.  

• Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

13 hours ago, tmclennan said:

Interesting first post....  :-\

Welcome to the forum.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Interesting first post....  :-\

Welcome to the forum.  

I saw that in the queue for approval last night, and it was the strangest sensation that I felt like I had read that exact screed somewhere else before. Like deja vu. I thought it was on this same thread years ago. I held off approving (due to spam, we're making first posts be approved) until I could see if I had seen those same words posted somewhere else before. Guess I was losing my mind, because google yields nothing.

I am generally pro-grammar/vocab/spelling police, but in this case, meh. I must be getting hip, because new twists on the language don't bother me as much anymore. Except anything with a # is instantly viewed with disdain. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

or in Italy(and many countries), you will hear the term used when trying to converse in English, example:  "So, you like the golf".   or on this site "Is anybody enjoying the drink tonight".

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

20 hours ago, tmclennan said:

Wow - angry much? Pretty sure most will consider any reputable dictionary as more of an authority than you (or me). So, finding "golfing" listed in them, I think we have an answer. Also, @iacas made an intelligent argument refuting your statements, so by using the rationale of your post, the two of us are morons? Not sure that sort of posting is going to hold up as being rational or mature. Good luck making friends here

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

36 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Especially if you're the Atlanta Falcons.

Now I didn't have a dog in that fight, but that was funny

sorry! Off topic!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

11 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Now I didn't have a dog in that fight, but that was funny

sorry! Off topic!

Especially after he endured (without so much as a single complaint) a month of the moderators tormenting him with the "I HEART ATLANTA" avatar. Classic

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Especially after he endured (without so much as a single complaint) a month of the moderators tormenting him with the "I HEART ATLANTA" avatar. Classic

Well you know... I did ask for it. 

It's kind of hard to taunt the Super Bowl runner-ups when my team didn't even make the playoffs.

Sorry :offtopic:

Where were we... oh yeah, we were internetting about golfing.

• Upvote 1

Jon

When my wife said, "have fun golfing today," I did not question the grammar. 

At all. :roll:

• Upvote 2

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

When my wife said, "have fun golfing today," I did not question the grammar. 

At all. :roll:

You sir are a wise man.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Where I am trying to go with this is that in fact GOLFING is the vulgar of the noun.Golf is a game and to that end you play a game.You play chess to don't chess or go chessing.Many of these GAMES have become major sports but that doesn't mean that golfing is a word-it even sounds wrong.Do you tennis?No you play tennis.do you baseball or football?No, you play these games.Swimming is a sport but you don't play "swim".You don't play"ski" because its not a game,you ski or go skiing because its a sport.Some one pulled out curling, but even here the standard holds-its not a game.If someone has an exception I'd love to hear it.

Note: This thread is 1482 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!