IGNORED

Par 3 course or longer course membership

Themightyoz
Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone,

I have 2 options for courses.  I have one course that is 30 minutes away that is a 18 hole par 3 course where I can get a all you can play and driving range pass for 350 and another that that is a full 18 hole course that is an hour away where I can get a membership for 550.  Which one would you guys recommend.  

Heres the par 3 

http://www.clubsg.skygolf.com/courses/scorecard.php?id=26921

Here is the 18 

https://www.scotswoodlinks.com/golf/scotswood-links-score-card-and-course-guide/

WITB

Cobra  Wishon 911 D FMAX 10.5 ,EQ-NX 4W, 7W, 4H/6H, 7-LW

Biomech Acculock Ace Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Par 3 courses can be fun, and are great for practice and as an occasional diversion, but I'd never want to play one exclusively, or even as my primary course.  

An hour is a long way to go for an everyday round of golf, are there no other 18-hole courses closer than that?   If not, if both can be played ala carte, I'd likely opt to for that.  If not, assuming I liked the course, I'd probably still go with the 18-hole option.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I agree with Dave, I wouldn't want to play a par 3 course exclusively.  They are fun to go and hit wedges and short irons on, but if that is all you play, you will see a dramatic decline in your long game.  Is there anything closer?  Even a 9 hole regular course would be better than the 18 hole par 3 course IMO. 

How much would it cost you to play a variety of courses per month? That's something to consider. 

That said I spend summers in northern MN and pretty much have a choice of two courses within reasonable driving distance. I joined one last year, good course good people, but I found myself getting bored with the course as I felt I needed to get my money's worth there and not spend additional money playing elsewhere.

Edited by chilepepper

10 hours ago, Themightyoz said:

... Which one would you guys recommend?...  

If the range at the par 3 course is nice, and you are somewhat just starting to learn how to play golf, I recommend the par 3.  With the $200 you save, you can make a few trips to Scott Woods Links.  Proximity is my big thing.  You want to use the facility selected on a regular basis.  For me, driving an hour each way to the bigger course would potentially keep me from playing as often as I would like.

The other factor I would consider is the level of use from other players.  A membership at a course and/or range where one always has to wait for a spot is no good.

Ultimately, there is no poor choice as long as you use the membership.

Brian Kuehn

That's better.  So is it safe to say that for $900 you could play golf and go to the range everyday of the year?  Or is there an additional fee?

I only ask because for $30 a month, just the range is worth it.  The next question is how much would it cost you to play the regulation course without the membership?  If you think you'll spend $50 a month to play there regardless, you have to think about that.  Also if you don't get free balls at the range, that has to be addressed.  And... How much time you have.

I am recently retired and did the same thing at a local Par 3 course, but the savings at the range is worth it, even if I don't play the course very much.

John

Edit added:  To put into perspective, I'm retired and for me it is nice to have a range close by that I can use during the day.  And play mid-week without waiting on every hole.

Edited by 70sSanO

I'm with the others in saying that, while par 3 courses are fun now and again, they are not something I'd want to play all the time.

I learned to play on a par 3. While I'm sure others would not agree, I think you should learn the game from the greens back, not the Tee box in. When I moved on to a full course I had to get better with my long irons, but could chip and putt as well as anybody, better than most actually, and that's where you score.

I'm assuming you want to change that 40 index.

Edited by Papa Steve 55
clarity
  • Upvote 1

Heck I would join them both. The par 3 course is cheap and it would be great for your short game and it would also take off any pressure of playing a longer course. The 18 hole course looks like a very nice course and for me at that length I could play the back tees for a change instead of the senior tees. I would love to have the chance to play them both if located here where I live. Since I am retired I could play the 18 hole course Mon, Wed, Fri and the par 3 Tue and Thurs. If I needed more help on the short game I could switch days. Win, win, situation.

Edited by shanksalot

I was in a similar situation this year and opted for the shorter "par 3" course.  I am still fearful that my long game will suffer due to not hitting a driver as often but i think that my iron play and striking will significantly improve.  There are 3 or 4 holes I can still hit driver or 3 wood off the tee, which I also planned on using long irons to help out on par 5's when I play longer courses.  The way I looked at it is the yardage in will be my second shots on longer courses so if I can dial those shots in more I have the opportunity to shoot lower scores.  Also the greens are in better shape at the shorter course so I can also work on short game/ putting there.  

For a high-capper (28+), or someone new to the game, I think the par-3 course would be a great option to build your game.  I love @Papa Steve 55's advice about learning from the greens-back.  30 minutes closer, full range, a less stressful place to improve (where you won't have to worry so much about slowing the pace on a full-length track), no commitment required beyond 1 year, etc....sounds like a winner to me!

Wade         --         "Thaaat's CRUSHED!"

Driver:  Ping G400 LST 8.5°
FWs/Hybs:  Callaway BB Steelhead III 3w; TM R15 17° & 21°
Irons:  Mizuno JPX825
Wedges:  Cleveland Rotex 2.0 54° & 60°
Putter:  Odyssey 2-ball

• Administrator
On 3/23/2017 at 5:50 AM, Papa Steve 55 said:

When I moved on to a full course I had to get better with my long irons, but could chip and putt as well as anybody, better than most actually, and that's where you score.

It's really not. Not at all.

100 yards and in accounts for only about 1/3 of the difference between scores.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Only two courses inside an hour's drive is a rough deal. A trip to the regulation course becomes an all day affair at that rate.

Especially given the range privileges I'd think the par-3 would be a no brainer. If you have the cash and time for it, sprinkle in some rounds on the big course if it is a daily fee course.

Being Military Retired as well as senior citizen, it usually wouldn't pay for me to join any sort of card type membership as the benefits derived are about the same as I would normally pay without any monthly obligations or fees. Some have restrictions on weekends and holidays, but others I frequent are acceptable discounts any day.  One local course however has a pretty good deal after 1 pm for only $14 (cart fee only), and also $20 worth of range balls each month, the monthly "card" fee is $39 I believe.  So, I guess it amounts to how often one would play.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Well I'd look at the par 3 course as all you can play for the season for a set reasonable cost closer to the house.  However, you'll only use a few clubs off the tees, even the back set.  The other course, about one hour away, after paying the annual membership, what would be the playing fees, walking, cart, etc.  plus you can hit all the clubs in the bag, if desired.  But you can do that at the range at the par 3 depending on its length.  Can't lose either way.  I've done both.  

Note: This thread is 2560 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!