IGNORED

Can an LPGA player win on PGA tour?

chspeed
Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Could an LPGA player win on PGA tour?  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Could an LPGA player win on PGA tour?

• Yes, it's possible
    • Yes, sometime in the future
    • No, but they could come close
    • Never happen
  2. 2. Could a modern LPGA player win on the modern PGA Tour in the next 20 years? (Better Poll Questions)

• No.
    • Yes.
    • I don't want to vote; this fence is mighty comfy.
  3. 3. If the best LPGA Tour player at any given point in time competed against a full field of PGA Tour players over 10,000 regular PGA Tour events, how many times would she win?

I voted  - Never Happen

just like Serena gets it (as that is the jumping off point for this thread) - whatever you want to make the equivalent of her statement about losing to Andy Murray 6-0, 6-0 is what would happen in a full field PGA tour event.

Players play, tough players win!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

People grab on to that word "chance", and just can't let go.

Meh... I took the question and choices literally.  Yes it's possible.  No, it's not probable.   It's not my fault the OP phrased his choices the way he did.  :whistle:

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, krupa said:

Meh... I took the question and choices literally.  Yes it's possible.  No, it's not probable.   It's not my fault the OP phrased his choices the way he did.  :whistle:

You can change your vote if you wish.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 minutes ago, krupa said:

There's a chance the world will end tomorrow.

But it won't. ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

9 minutes ago, krupa said:

Yea those two choices aren't mutually exclusive in my book. Yes, it's possible, but it's never going to happen. Just like my chances of winning the Powerball :~(

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I just reject absolutes like "Will never happen." You can't prove a negative anyway. You can try, and some are making compelling points to do so, but I just disagree with "never." Highly unlikely? Sure, and I've admitted as such. And the 'will never happen' people's points confirm that it's highly unlikely as well. That's as far as I can go with agreeing. 

18 minutes ago, billchao said:

Yea those two choices aren't mutually exclusive in my book. Yes, it's possible, but it's never going to happen. Just like my chances of winning the Powerball :~(

Good example. The only way you will "never" win Powerball is not play. That is a certainty. But if you buy a ticket, I believe the odds are like 1 in 22 million. I call that highly unlikely. :-D

18 hours ago, zipazoid said:

The question wasn't can an LPGA player win on a consistent basis on the PGA Tour, it was can she win on the PGA Tour. So while I don't disagree that Pavin would have a much different career if he started out now, that's not really the point. 

If an LPGA pro can hit 70% of the greens & is making putts, she can win. Now, obviously, not on any PGA Tour course. For ex, I would have a hard time seeing an LPGA pro winning at this year's US Open site that featured 525-yard par 4s. But there are shorter tracks out there (Harbour Town, TPC River Highlands) where it's conceivable, in my opinion.

14 hours ago, zipazoid said:

I've played Harbour Town, and it's basically hallway golf. Every hole is lined with trees except 17 & 18. Have to hit it very straight or you're in the trees.

Which is my point. If it came down to can a woman win or can't she on the PGA Tour, I can't justify can't win. It's possible. It's not impossible. Highly unlikely? Sure. But on the right course, catching a hot week on the greens (which is basically whoever wins a PGA Tour event anyway) & hitting fairways/greens, why not? Women can do that. Men have a distance advantage. But the longest driver for the week doesn't always win. 

These guys are good. But so are the ladies.

Delusional.

11 hours ago, iacas said:

They don't do anything as well as the men.

You can find one-off examples. Boo Weekley is a terrible putter, but his ballstriking is pretty great. An LPGA Tour player couldn't hang with Boo… unless he was thinking about fishing that day.

They haven't.

Well, the thing is… they're not playing against a full field of the poor PGA Tour players only.

No.

Yup.

They softened and slightly slowed the greens. That was about it. Women can't stop the ball on firmer greens like the guys can. Their landing angles and spin rates are lower.

That was my choice as well.

Corey Pavin wouldn't keep his PGA Tour card today if you gave him a freebie for a year. He simply wouldn't. Corey should be glad he played when he did… or sad that he didn't play even earlier.

And the answer to that is no. :-)

Yeah it is… and you're the one who brought up Corey Pavin.

He wouldn't win now.

Let's say he's got a one-in-10,000 chance of winning. If you're talking about Corey Pavin, maybe those are accurate, but I suspect those are good odds for a gal to win. But anyway… 1 in 10,000 means a 99.99% chance he'll lose.

For that to work out, we have to figure out when .49999 >= .9999^x. x is gonna be around 6940 events played before it's even likely that he wins. 45 events a year, and you're looking at about… 150+ years before it's even likely that this person wins.

Could they win the first event they play? Sure. But that is almost as likely as them going the full 222.2222 years (10,000 events) without winning.

She's not gonna do that for four rounds.

The shorter tracks give the guys an advantage, too.

PGA Tour players are about 6 shots better than women players.

In a field with one woman (or even a few) and 144+ male PGA Tour players, it's basically never gonna happen.

Mic drop here.

39 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I was thinking about the full field in my original response, but you definitely have that as well.

Weird stuff can happen in 18 holes.  72 holes has a way of sorting a bunch out.

Yea it will be sorted out with a the LPGA pro working her way to the bottom of the scoreboard.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

22 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

No it's not. I have played Harbour Town. :-D

Okay you have "played" Harbor Town BUT not under PGA tour conditions. Maybe LPGA conditions.

3 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

Okay you have "played" Harbor Town BUT not under PGA tour conditions. Maybe LPGA conditions.

Delusional.

I played it under normal conditions.

42 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Good example. The only way you will "never" win Powerball is not play. That is a certainty. But if you buy a ticket, I believe the odds are like 1 in 22 million. I call that highly unlikely. :-D

Poor example - define winning.

winning odds
0+PB - $4 - 1:38
1+PB- $4 - 1:92
2+PB - $7 - 1:701
3+0 - $7 - 1:580
5+PB - Jackpot ($106million) - 1:292,201,388 (so you are off by over 13x, just like your take on never ;-) )

Players play, tough players win!

3 minutes ago, zipazoid said:

Delusional.

I played it under normal conditions.

Which would probably be not far off LPGA conditions.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:37 AM, jsgolfer said:

We definitely talked about this before.  

An LPGA player has no chance of winning a men's event.  They just don't have the power that you need to play 7,000+ Yd golf courses with heavy rough.  

But not every course has heavy rough.

Just now, Zekez said:

Doesn't matter, they have no chance.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

4 minutes ago, Zekez said:

They let the rough grow out before the pros get there. It just doesn't look so bad on television. Even my course, when we have qualifiers, stops mowing for a while and the rough might be 4 to 6 inches but thick enough to cover a ball and slow the club through it.

25 minutes ago, Zekez said:

Ok I don't know why this needs to be said, but apparently it does, so....

Hand-picking a shorter course with lighter rough, softer and slower greens, will make the tournament easier for the LPGA pro to score well at. It also does the same for 144+ men in the field.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I voted Never. I've seen the best up close, and the girls just couldn't compete with men. Even the best woman in the world would have a hard time getting through a Web.com Tour event, and I might even go as far as winning a US Open qualifier. The genetic differences are just too different. Men hit it further. Lexi Thompson with an average drive of 280 yards is still not even inside 200 on a lot of PGA Tour Par 4 holes. 

Last week the LPGA set up my home course, Pinnacle Country Club, for the Northwest Arkansas Open, super easy. They only had one par 5 they couldn't reach in two. My assistant pro was mad that his course record of 62 was beaten by a 61 set up on a short, shaved down, slower greens course. The Par 3 #17 was 125 yards. Give me a break. It creates excitement, but even I shot 75 from two sets of tees back from them the Friday before the women showed up. I'm a terrible golfer and would have barely missed the cut (+1) in a professional women's event. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

1 hour ago, Zekez said:

You don't get it. The men get those advantages too. Not every course has heavy rough, that makes it THAT much easier for the MEN playing too. Do you see this? Got it? Ok, good..so once again. No chance an LPGA player can win on the PGA. No chance. Zero.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Note: This thread is 2464 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!