IGNORED

Is it too much height in my shot a good thing?

irockvdubs
Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Shorty said:

Your lowest score is 85. You hit your irons pro distances "with accuracy and incredible height" (your words). You "tend to three putt sometimes" And you wonder why a member is sceptical?

Why do you even suspect that your "incredible" height is an issue? You don't even mention how high you hit it relative to others.

I'll tell you how to reduce your scores: Stop taking 4 shots to get up and down from the fringe, because your stated accuracy, distance, putting and scores don't add up.

If your claims were accurate you would say that you are on or around the green in regulation all the time - how can you not be with accuarcy AND distance? - but still bogey 80% of the holes. It's pretty obvious why someone would question your claims.

What we really want to know is: How much ya bench?

IMG_0562.GIF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, Shorty said:

Your lowest score is 85. You hit your irons pro distances "with accuracy and incredible height" (your words). You "tend to three putt sometimes" And you wonder why a member is sceptical?

Why do you even suspect that your "incredible" height is an issue? You don't even mention how high you hit it relative to others.

I'll tell you how to reduce your scores: Stop taking 4 shots to get up and down from the fringe, because your stated accuracy, distance, putting and scores don't add up.

If your claims were accurate you would say that you are on or around the green in regulation all the time - how can you not be with accuarcy AND distance? - but still bogey 80% of the holes. It's pretty obvious why someone would question your claims.

This^^^

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

26 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Why would it be good?  More height=More time to go offline. 

I guess I should stop hitting wedges...

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• Administrator
15 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I guess I should stop hitting wedges...

Wedges don't go any higher than a 4-iron (or shouldn't).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Shouldn't.... ;-) 

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

On 07/01/2017 at 7:18 PM, irockvdubs said:

I was wondering when someone like you was gonna reply on this thread.

For like him, there is always someone like you who comes on here and States some yardage that seems pretty unlikely. And always has the same argument about how they play golf for themselves and not to impress other people. Yet you like to see people's faces when they play with you. I get it I've been there. Just realize that we see a lot of guys like you here so you need to be more patient if you want information.

I'm in the same boat, I can hit the ball pretty far and I hit it really high so on Windy days it just blows me all over. I have been hitting a number of knock down shots lately which have helped considerably but we still need to work around the green and as much as it's nice to Pure shots on the Range all day, the equally important part of scoring is the short game. I did not work as hard on this area as I should have in the past so it's taking me some time to catch up. Your scores will go down the closer you get the ball to the hole on chips and the more putts you make. Duh.....right?

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I have a (very) high ball flight, and it's a mixed bag. Means it's easy to stop a ball without a lot of spin on approach shots, even long approaches. And my partners are always surprised at my ability to go over trees that would be in the way for many players. But high ball flight is definitely a hindrance on windy days.  I'd be happier with lower ball flight, but I'm sure that will come with age...

Edited by Midpack

Launch monitor will tell the story. IME most amateurs don't hit it too high even those that flip at it. Not crazy about anecdotal evidence but I'll share some. My previous instructor hosts group sessions, informal just a bunch of students in adjacent stalls on the range and he goes to and fro offering mini advice based on what we've been working on in personal lessons. He keeps one stall open with FlightScope and all his gadgets.

Back up a little bit for the story. At my first lesson he told me we were going to work on two things, one led to another, the byproduct if you will and it was hitting the ball higher. Which shocked me because on the range and when I encounter others on the course I am almost always the golfer with the highest flight. So I questioned it and he showed my FS numbers and my apex was 73-78 feet. Not low but certainly not high and lower than I guessed.

Fast forward to the group session and every one of his students on that day, mostly higher handicap golfers was hitting low-ish shots and he was working with them to get the ball up a bit. He called me over to hit some shots to demonstrate what higher looks like while the others stop to watch, at that time I was in the 85 feet range. Just as I finished a kid walks up carrying a bag with a D1 college logo and he is someone my instructor knows from the club, probably a previous student, and he calls that guy over to hit some shots. It made my shots look low. Not only that he was pummeling it and the apex was way out in the distance. Since then the only time I've seen anyone hit high shots like that was when the PGA Tour was here for the BMW and when I catch our shop pro out on the course.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

On 6/28/2017 at 7:27 PM, iacas said:

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe not for you!
My short irons/wedges go sky high. I have been accused of trying to "bring rain".

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

It's perception and the fact that wedges are easier to make good contact with. The apex is closer to your eyes and a higher handicap golfer hits a big mix of good to bad shots with longer clubs that fly lower than most of their better struck wedge shots.

• Upvote 1

Dave :-)

40 minutes ago, Elmer said:

Maybe not for you!
My short irons/wedges go sky high. I have been accused of trying to "bring rain".

How high do they go? 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

How high do they go? 

My launch angle has always been high. I dont know the exact number, but when I started I was at a 16 and have since lowered it down to a 10 or 11 (if memory serves).
I know those who play with me remark about how my drives get "up there". My drives launch high and stay in the sky much higher than anyone else I golf with. I am sure I loose some distance due to the height. However, considering I average 260 on my drive, hitting anywhere from 270 to 290 once a round I have not worked too hard to address the issue.

On the other hand my wedges seem to go "homerun in a silo" high. My sand wedge travels about 110-100 yards, while my 60 tops out at 80 yrds.
I think this may have to do with a flop shot like swing with my wedges,which is another bad habit I need to address.

I usually don't fear clearing most average tree lines do to my height. 

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 5:33 PM, irockvdubs said:

these are my max distance shots that I can hit with accuracy and incredible height (I say this so readers know it's not a fat shot or a shank):

Pw - 130-150

9i - 160-170

8i - 180

7i - 190-200

6i - 210- 225

5i - 235-240

4hyb - 240-255

3i - 250 (idk why I can't hit this further)

3wood- 275

Driver 290-305

I tend to 3 putt sometimes. 

I've worked really hard to get this far and now I don't wanna stop till I consistently shoot par or under... I understand how difficult that goal is but in the next 2 years I wanna consistently start shooting even par! 

So, can someone give me tips on what I can do to lower my score and with the distance I have, is too much height a bad thing? I kind of like having high apex on my shots. My balls from 100-200 yards away, almost never roll off the green. But when it's windy, my accuracy is affected. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you 

People are skeptical because of this...not only are your distances PGA Tour type distances, but you say you "can hit with accuracy and incredible height".  If you hit your clubs these distances and "with accuracy" you should not be shooting 85-87.  My PW-7i distances are about the same, 6i-3W is a bit shorter, and Driver is about 294 according to Arccos, but I am also a 1 handicap and am not out there shooting 85-87.  Create a thread in the "Members Swings" and that should clear up some cloudiness to the distance claim.  Unless you 3 putt every hole and chip it around the greens a couple times each hole, those distances and "accuracy" should not yield 85-87 scores.

• Upvote 1

seriously, I shoot in the mid-80's pretty consistently.  I'm a below average putter and I hit the ball with inaccuracy and incredible inconsistency.  

It just doesn't add up.  not with those distances.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 6/29/2017 at 6:33 PM, irockvdubs said:

these are my max distance shots that I can hit with accuracy and incredible height (I say this so readers know it's not a fat shot or a shank):

I tend to 3 putt sometimes. 

I have to agree with @Grinde6, this doesn't add up.  Distance plus accuracy means good scores.  My best guess is that :

Your distance for each club isn't consistent, so you hit long and short a lot

Your accuracy really isn't good

You short game and putting isn't very good, way beyond "3 putt sometimes"

That's the only way you can shoot consistently in the mid-80s or higher with anything near the kind of distance you say you have.  So how do you get better?  Get instruction, post a video of your swing in the Member Swing part of this website.  By improving your swing mechanics, your accuracy will improve, both with more consistent distance and tighter dispersion laterally.  Learn to plan your practice, to improve the important things.  Learn short game and putting.  Improve your course management.  Buy Lowest Score Wins, its an excellent source of advice about evaluating and planning both practice and play, especially for a relatively newer golfer.

But to answer the original question, I sincerely doubt that hitting the ball too high should be anywhere near your primary concern.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:25 PM, iacas said:

Well, I'm obviously doing something wrong...  :whistle:

Edit:  Or maybe not, I guess it's hard for me to tell where a 4 iron peaks since it's a ways out there, or at least further than a wedge.

Edited by Strandly

Note: This thread is 2261 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!