IGNORED

Replace mid irons with Hybrids

Note: This thread is 2481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Replace mid irons with Hybrids

I'm returning to golf after a few years of layoff.  I decided early on to rely on hybrid clubs to replace all irons apart from 8-LW.  So far it's been fine but I have a nagging feeling that it's taking the hacker's option not to mention a slightly bruised ego when people see my bag which looks like a travelling puppet show.  Any thoughts out there?  PS be polite!

I really do not think anybody cares. If the hybrids translate into lower scores, your ego should rightfully remain intact.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Even players on the PGA Tour have hybrids in their bag. The ladies on the LPGA Tour have hybrids in their bag. If you are playing better and enjoying the game more with hybrids keep doing what is best for your game. Most players today have hybrids in the bag so why shouldn't you have some. Most mid irons today are really long irons of yesterday so keep those hybrids and don't worry about what any one says about them.

Golf began, so far as we know, with wooden clubs.  The proliferation of irons roughly coincides with the introduction of the gutta percha ball in the 1840's.  Full, numbered, sets of irons were not common until steel shafts replaced hickory.  I think it likely we are in the midst of another such shift.  The 1 iron, 2 iron, and 3 iron have all but disappeared; the spoon and baffy are enjoying a resurgence.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

It depends on what works for you. In hybrids, 2H is too severe for me, and 3H and 4H work well. 5H just seems to launch too high.

In my SLDR irons, the 4i launches well in part because of the Thru Slot polymer sole insert. It launches much like a hybrid, although it doesn't look like one.

When I caddied in the Decatur-Forsyth Classic last month (LPGA/Symetra Tour), many of the women carried a single fairway wood and a 3H and 4H, with a 5i as lowest numbered iron. Some also carried a 5H.

---------------

When you're filling in the hybrids, be aware whether you are getting classic or iron-replacement hybrids.

• Classic hybrids fall between fairway woods and numbered irons in shaft length.
  • IR hybrids match up pretty closely in loft and shaft length with the numbered irons they are designed to replace.

Also, if the 3H seems a little iffy, consider going with a 5W or a 7W instead.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

What do you care what other people think!? Grow a set, man! I don't carry an iron numbered lower than 6 anymore!

Remember, even stupid people play golf. These are the folks with 2 irons still in their bags! Especially if they're over 40!

I used to love my long irons but now my 6 is the longest I carry. My handicap is lower now, too. Hit what works for you.

Charles P.

:cobra: Fly-Z, Paderson shaft. :callaway: 15o XR, steelhead XR 6-PW. :adams: 16o fairway, 3 & 4 hybrids. :titleist: Vokey 48o, 52o, & 58o.  :odyssey:Toulon San Diego AR.

Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.

1 hour ago, Buckeyebowman said:

What do you care what other people think!? Grow a set, man! I don't carry an iron numbered lower than 6 anymore!

Remember, even stupid people play golf. These are the folks with 2 irons still in their bags! Especially if they're over 40!

I really do not agree that carrying a one or two iron relates to I.Q.  They have their uses and some are quite proficient with them. That being said, I still carry 4I thru Gap, but have a redundant hybrid.

• Upvote 1

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

23 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

I really do not agree that carrying a one or two iron relates to I.Q.  They have their uses and some are quite proficient with them. That being said, I still carry 4I thru Gap, but have a redundant hybrid.

Have some dignity for the game. Learn to hit clubs, don't just rely on technology to make the game more enjoyable. This isn't an easy game. There were no short cuts 50 years ago. 

7 hours ago, ChillyDip69 said:

Have some dignity for the game. Learn to hit clubs, don't just rely on technology to make the game more enjoyable. This isn't an easy game. There were no short cuts 50 years ago. 

That may work for you but following your thinking, most people didn't have toilet paper 100 years ago either.    Most people didn't have a cell phone 35 years ago.  These items, like a hybrid, make life easier.   If hybrids help his game it's not wrong to use them. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator
10 hours ago, ChillyDip69 said:

The sand wedge was a "short cut".

You're ignorant to the history of the game if you don't think that players have always mucked with clubs and balls to help themselves. Heck, the original balls were smooth, and dimples were invented after players learned that some nicks and cuts would help their ball fly farther.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 hours ago, ChillyDip69 said:

They didn't have steel shafts (for consistency) 50 years ago?  That wasn't a technology-based shortcut compared to the originals?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

I've got 15°, 21° & 25° hybrids in my bag ... just not sure why the OP would want a hybrid for the 6 & 7 irons ... I won't question it as there's always reasons for people to justify using what they use.  I like the "puppet show" headcovers visual reference though :beer:.  Although some would likewise question my 15° hybrid (Adams Super S with the oversize head) vs. a 3 wood (I love the  3 wood, but it becomes a liability more than an asset as I only hit if off the deck once or twice a round - never hit it enough to get really good with it ... the shorter shaft of the 15° hybrid is so much more consistent for me off the deck than a 3 wood) 

Edited by inthehole

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

On ‎03‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:44 AM, ChillyDip69 said:

I'm impressed with your dedication but why make Golf a form of penance?

3 hours ago, inthehole said:

I've got 15°, 21° & 25° hybrids in my bag ... just not sure why the OP would want a hybrid for the 6 & 7 irons ... I won't question it as there's always reasons for people to justify using what they use.  I like the "puppet show" headcovers visual reference though :beer:.  Although some would likewise question my 15° hybrid (Adams Super S with the oversize head) vs. a 3 wood (I love the  3 wood, but it becomes a liability more than an asset as I only hit if off the deck once or twice a round - never hit it enough to get really good with it ... the shorter shaft of the 15° hybrid is so much more consistent for me off the deck than a 3 wood) 

Really its a question of my skill level.  I can hit a 6 or 7 iron but hybrids reduce the punishment on bad shots and give me a lot more consistency out of the rough.  They are a  lot more stable and sweep through rough where I'd have a much higher risk of the club face closing down hitting a terrible with a normal iron.

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2017 at 9:51 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Longest iron I carry is a 7-iron. Just shot 35-38-73 today at my course. Play what your comfortable with and have more fun.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

29 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

Longest iron I carry is a 7-iron. Just shot 35-38-73 today at my course. Play what your comfortable with and have more fun.

I should probably consider a 5H and 6H but keep the irons and swap out once in a while. I only have 3H and 4H at present with only one fairway wood. Interestingly enough, the 3H is an off brand with steel shaft, but I like the looks of it and performance is adequate enough for me. Oddly enough, I also use my 4 iron which is a little redundant but there are shots that it seems to work better than the hybrid.

"James"

7 hours ago, inthehole said:

I've got 15°, 21° & 25° hybrids in my bag ... just not sure why the OP would want a hybrid for the 6 & 7 irons ... I won't question it as there's always reasons for people to justify using what they use.  

I use the hybrids, as I just hit them better. I'm more consistent with the hybrids than even a 6-iron. Can I hit a six iron or higher absolutely but my misses are never as bad with the hybrids. And you can really hit a hybrid well out of heavy rough it just glides through it. So to me, I don't know why more players won't use more hybrids.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Note: This thread is 2481 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!