IGNORED

Putting

Jack Watson
Note:Β This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

For me, Β its this...

Β 

And My technique(not ever to be discussed with anyone)....And roll the ball with the stick

Cant stand elk. Β 

This is nothing just an attempt to spark discussion. Β I've never and never will try to talk about mechanics in putting. Β It's just weird. Β For me what Burke shows is what I do. Β I've putted my whole life and no I don't practice and no I am not a pro. Β I do find putting very engrossing though when I play and take it seriously. Β 

Distance control? Β I have no idea. Β Line? Β I couldn't explain it.

For me it's roll the ball. Β  Found the grip I like and the putter I like and that's it.Β 

Sounds ridiculous. Β Roll the ball with the stick. Β It's not explainable. Β 

Β 

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

It's not explainable.

Sure it is.

It's teachable, and learnable, too.

If your purpose is not to start a discussion, why are you posting it on a discussion forum?

Good putters tend to…

• Read - Read greens well.
    • AimPoint
    • or Green charts
    • or a lot of experience
  • Speed - Hit the ball the proper distance.
    • Hit near the peak velocity.
    • Have a fairly uniform backswing and follow-through length (ties into #1).
    • Hit the ball with 1-2Β° loft and 2-3Β° AoA.
  • Bead - Control the start line
    • controlled rates of rotation
    • not flipping the wrists/yipping
    • good aim
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Of course it's explainable. Β Trouble is...it is difficult to "explain" the ball into the hole until after the fact. Β Then it all makes sense; as it invariably does when it doesn't go in (Gosh...that breaks more/less than I thought). Β File under: predicting history.

• Thumbs Up 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Ok, Β NOTE I am not saying this is good. Β I hate forward press. Β I mean movement in putting? Β Wtf!

For me, Β I can't explain my own putting or anyone else's. Β I've seen people teach putting and cause big improvement to poor putters.

Distance and line yes putterface at impact yes

Theoretically I grasp the importance of these things, Β but in reality when putting (which I enjoy) for myself the first video is it. Β It is asinine almost. Β 

I mean the modern aimpoint and that is proved to work. Β It's all phenomenal what is happening these days with the quality of info.

I thought about a birdie putt I made from about 10-12 feet after my last round. Β No idea how far to take it back nothing. Β For me outside five feet I think I just kinda roll it. Β Probably dumb luck.

1 hour ago, Jack Watson said:

I've never and never will try to talk about mechanics in putting.

So.....the title. refers to what? Let me guess, "Putting...by Immanuel Kant."

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Outside of coming up with a system to chart greens, Aimpoint is the best green reading system out there. It's simple and effective.Β 

Speed control isn't something you think, "Ok this putt I need to take it back 12 inches." It's pretty much all feel based on experience. It comes from being able to read putts and start them on the target line. People with good speed control can pick up the speed of the greens quickly.Β 

Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

15 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I prefer Heisenburg (sic)...It is impossible, often enough. to determine both the speed and the line simultaneously. Β The putt is there; but (going back to Kant) reality and perception intrude on one another. Β The result is a "putt of faith"...a Kierkegardian (sic) abstract.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β  Β "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

1 hour ago, Piz said:

I prefer Heisenburg (sic)...It is impossible, often enough. to determine both the speed and the line simultaneously. Β The putt is there; but (going back to Kant) reality and perception intrude on one another. Β The result is a "putt of faith"...a Kierkegardian (sic) abstract.

Well, I was going to make a Metaphysics of Natural Putting reference but ... yours is so much better. Β Just like if we were comparing putting skill.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Putting is one of the few things in this game thatΒ isΒ pretty easy to explain...

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;Β  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;Β  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's; Β 56-14 F grind andΒ 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty CameronΒ Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Putting is one of the few things in this game thatΒ isΒ pretty easy to explain...

Putting is also one of the easiest things to practice. I can practice bead if I'm having trouble with getting the line right, and there are many effective drills for distance.
Sometimes I'll just hit putts for 5-10 minutes and other times it will be for up to an hour if I'm working on several things (each one individually if I really want to get proper results)

Players play, tough players win!

7 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

Putting is also one of the easiest things to practice. I can practice bead if I'm having trouble with getting the line right, and there are many effective drills for distance.
Sometimes I'll just hit putts for 5-10 minutes and other times it will be for up to an hour if I'm working on several things (each one individually if I really want to get proper results)

I agree with this. Sometimes just spending 5-10 minutes each night putting to an object on the floor in the living room is enough for me to work on the stroke and reinforce good habits in between range sessions/rounds. I dont use this to work on speed, I pretty much stay in the <6 ft range, but this has helped me build a ton of confidence with those putts

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

I wonder if Zeno golfed? Β 

Wouldnt wanna get stuck behind that group! Β "Zeno foursome you're on deck" Β lol

Schopenhauer proved the folly of worrying too much about results in putting. Β You never know what could happen.

Β 

Β 

Putting is a skill, or even a series of skills that are identifiable and can be improved. Some people are naturally better at it than others so they don't really have to work on it, but it's not some kind of magical artΒ or anything.

• Upvote 1

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

12 hours ago, Vinsk said:

When it comes to the philosophy of putting I'm more of a zen guy and I likeΒ what Basho said "a flute with no holes is not a flute & a donut with no holes is a Danish"

Β 

Players play, tough players win!

There is something to not taking too long between the time you take your practice stroke till you actually hit the ball. Tiger Woods was consistent with how much time it took him from taking his practice strokes till he hit the putt. It wasn't that much time.

If a person stands over the ball too long they could lose the feel for the distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Putting is a skill, or even a series of skills that are identifiable and can be improved. Some people are naturally better at it than others so they don't really have to work on it, but it's not some kind of magical artΒ or anything.

I never took a putting lesson and I avg 32 putts a round. I think that's not bad.

I think LSW has some good advise about putting speed. If the speed is right the hole becomesΒ bigger. The toughest putts are the ones where you have to put a tempoΒ on it (to negate the break) knowing if you miss it's an automatic 3-putt. I admit I will "lay-up" on those :)

I always looked at a putt as a ball rolled on a straight line to a point that is not always the cup. That if I picked the correct line, or point of aim, with the correct speed,Β the rolling ball would find it's own way to the cup, based on how the green's surface made it move.

Over the years, I developed a sense for putting the ball the distanced required. As for calculating any break, I found I never saw enough break, so I would add two fingers width to the break I saw. Β This served me quite well over the years. Obviously I didn't make everything, but most of my misses were pretty close.Β 

Β 

Edited by Patch

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

1 hour ago, Kalnoky said:

I never took a putting lesson and I avg 32 putts a round. I think that's not bad.

What's your strokes gained/lost on putting? Β I think that's a far more meaningful statistic than putts per round.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Note:Β This thread is 2277 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!