IGNORED

Anybody use a Chipper?

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, Midpack said:

I chip with my 7-iron (37 deg loft) all the time. I only use a wedge to chip/pitch when there's a trap between me and the flag and too little green to work with. I'm not sure why I'd give up another club in my 14 club bag for a "chipper" but maybe I'm missing something. Wider sole, but I've never had trouble making good contact with my 7-iron. But we all need to choose the 14 clubs that serve us best, no right answer.

Someone gave me an Alien sand wedge as a gift years ago, I tried it a few times and  literally gave it away. I've never been a fan of limited utility clubs. YMMV

I use my 60 degree club for 80 yard full shots, short chips that have to stop quick and the dreaded flop shot!
otherwise I use my 56 wedge.

1 hour ago, David in FL said:

Maybe that's why you're still a 16 hcp. ;-) 

A 16 hcp hits almost no greens in regulation.  Moreover, they very seldom get up and down all those times they miss the green.  A chipper can help improve the odds of getting up and down.

I (and a lot of others) consider this to be one of the better, more helpful instructional threads on the site...

...and for good reason.  It promotes an extremely effective, simple, method of chipping.  Using this method becomes even easier, and more effective when you use a club that has virtually the same length, lie, and feel of your putter.  The only real difference being increased loft and generally a bit of bounce, or glide as Erik likes to refer to it.

Make no mistake, I'm not saying that a chipper is a magic wand.  It needs to be practiced with, and the technique, as in Mike's video, learned.  But then, you already know how to putt, right? :-)

A chipper can help you drop strokes from your game, and if it helps you get up and down just 2 additional times in a round, you'll drop 2 or more full strokes off your handicap.  There are very few clubs that have the potential to do that for a lot of people, just by putting them in the bag and committing to using them when the situation calls for it.

I will plead ignorance about the chipper. Do you use it for 50 yard chips? and bump and runs?
I am a 15-16 hcp because I can not putt. I am a guarantee 2 putt and a few 3's I care not to discuss.
A buddy in my group last week pointed out that in the 10 years he has played with me I still leave the ball short.
I can not read greens, nor the speed.
I am in the fairway, and on the green in regulation but 2-3 putt.
But since most my practice is in my back yard with my sand wedge, hitting short chips, is equipment change even reasonable?

In my Grom:

Driver-Taylormade 10.5 Woods- Taylomade 3 wood, taylormade 4 Hybrid
Irons- Callaway Big Berthas 5i - GW Wedges- Titles Volkey  Putter- Odyssey protype #9
Ball- Bridgestone E6
All grips Golf Pride

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

...and preferably to get rid of that damn 60* wedge too. ;-)

For years I have used a 7i or 8i chip shot for about half the shots around the green. This season I have adopted a semi-putting stroke, standing a little taller and raising the heel slightly off the ground. I have an slight forward lean to the shaft, which allows me to engage the bounce even on short irons - I'm no longer stubbing the club into ground on chip shots. It's similar to the chitch which @mvmac shared with us.

The 60˚ is helpful, if you know how and when to use it. I'm amazed by the number of Americans - including PGA tour pros - who seem to be unaware that some greens have false fronts - green edges that slant back toward the fairway. They can defeat the false front with a running chip shot, rather than spinning the ball back off the green with a LW.

*My 60˚ is an MD/PM grind with the high-toe face. It's much more reliable than other 60˚ LWs I have tried.

Edited by WUTiger

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

41 minutes ago, Elmer said:

I will plead ignorance about the chipper. Do you use it for 50 yard chips? and bump and runs?
I am a 15-16 hcp because I can not putt. I am a guarantee 2 putt and a few 3's I care not to discuss.
A buddy in my group last week pointed out that in the 10 years he has played with me I still leave the ball short.
I can not read greens, nor the speed.
I am in the fairway, and on the green in regulation but 2-3 putt.
But since most my practice is in my back yard with my sand wedge, hitting short chips, is equipment change even reasonable?

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't personally use a chipper, but I'm a 6 hcp with a very solid short game.  I really wish my short game was a little iffy though, because I'd  put one in the bag because there's a good chance that I'd improve a stroke or two by doing so.  Sadly, my problems are almost exclusively full-swing related...:8)

Most of the guys I know who do use them, use them within about 20 or so yards of the green.  In exactly the same type of scenarios where you would expect to hit a little PW or 7/8-iron chip and run.  Again, the benefit lies in being able to use your normal putting stroke, with a club that has much the same feel and characteristics as your putter.  Think of it this way....when you're on the fringe, do you chip, or putt?  Most of us opt to putt whenever we can.  We're just more accurate that way.  If you're 20 feet off the green, how do you feel?  A lot of times you'd like to putt, but don't because of the rough and other imperfections between you and the actual putting surface.   The chipper allows you to "putt" in those cases.  It's the exact putting stroke and feel, except that the loft allows the ball to carry over the 20 odd feet of junk, before it starts rolling like any other putt.

As I alluded to, I do know one 7 hcp who will hit his chipper out to about 100 yards.  He's deadly with it.  But honestly, that's really not where most mid-high hcps are going to get the most bang for their buck.  

Again, they're not magic, as with anything, there may be a bit of a learning curve as you learn how far a ball will run for any given length it carries in the air, but there are very few items of equipment that can think of, that have the potential to take more strokes off a mid-high hcps game, just by putting it in the bag and committing to using it when they can.

BTW, that Odyssey in the OP is a fairly pricey club, made by a top manufacturer.  There are several others out there too.  Long gone are the days of the 2-sided (illegal btw) chippers found in the K-mart bargain bin, next to the Northwestern "beginner sets".    Maybe check out the reviews that have been submitted to to chipper in the OP.  Interesting too...

http://www.callawaygolf.com/products/golf-clubs/odyssey-putters/x-act-tank-chippers/putters-2016-x-act-tank-chipper.html#product-reviews

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I'm just curious, can't you achieve similar results with a hybrid as you could with a chipper? I'm not entirely sure what the loft is on chippers but I know that I've seen the pro's use a hybrid or even wood to chip with in the past. At least then you have a multi use club instead of a specialty club.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

5 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I'm just curious, can't you achieve similar results with a hybrid as you could with a chipper? I'm not entirely sure what the loft is on chippers but I know that I've seen the pro's use a hybrid or even wood to chip with in the past. At least then you have a multi use club instead of a specialty club.

A couple of reasons they're not the same...  

The hybrid has a much longer shaft and different lie angle than your putter, as do your other irons that you might use to chip.  A major benefit if the chipper is that I closely mimics the look and feel of your putter, so you're able to better use the same stroke as you do when putting.  The hybrid also has a much hotter face.  The ball comes off much faster and goes much further than it will with the same swing applied with your putter, or chipper.  Again, it's all about emulating the putter as closely as possible.

In David's bag....

8 minutes ago, David in FL said:

A couple of reasons they're not the same...  

The hybrid has a much longer shaft and different lie angle than your putter, as do your other irons that you might use to chip.  A major benefit if the chipper is that I closely mimics the look and feel of your putter, so you're able to better use the same stroke as you do when putting.  The hybrid also has a much hotter face.  The ball comes off much faster and goes much further than it will with the same swing applied with your putter, or chipper.  Again, it's all about emulating the putter as closely as possible.

I see. It just seems like if I would have to practice with a chipper to get good with it that same time could be used to practice with my wedge to get good with it.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

1 minute ago, Jeremie Boop said:

I see. It just seems like if I would have to practice with a chipper to get good with it that same time could be used to practice with my wedge to get good with it.

True.  But regardless, the design of the chipper makes it easier to use, and subsequently less of a learning curve?  It really is an easy club to use and get comfortable with.  Pretty much all you do is putt.

It's also worth remembering, that the vast majority of golfers don't take lessons, nor do they practice all that much.  Of the little practice they do, a relatively small percentage of that is devoted to the short game.  Rightfully so, more is devoted to the full-swing.  

Is it the right choice for everyone?  Of course not.  But I am absolutely convinced that a majority of those mid-to-high hcps that put a chipper in the bag and committed to, and played it for an entire season, would see a distinct improvement in their scoring/handicaps.  I'm equally sure that none would be harmed by doing so.

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

True.  But regardless, the design of the chipper makes it easier to use, and subsequently less of a learning curve?  It really is an easy club to use and get comfortable with.  Pretty much all you do is putt.

It's also worth remembering, that the vast majority of golfers don't take lessons, nor do they practice all that much.  Of the little practice they do, a relatively small percentage of that is devoted to the short game.  Rightfully so, more is devoted to the full-swing.  

Is it the right choice for everyone?  Of course not.  But I am absolutely convinced that a majority of those mid-to-high hcps that put a chipper in the bag and committed to, and played it for an entire season, would see a distinct improvement in their scoring/handicaps.  I'm equally sure that none would be harmed by doing so.

I guess that's a fair statement. Probably the less time can/will be spent on short game the more likely a chipper will be beneficial.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

56 minutes ago, David in FL said:

That's what I do with my 7-iron when chipping from off the green (up to 25 yards or so), just a putting stroke (upright, no wrists). On days when I'm overshooting, I "putt" with an 8i, on days when I'm coming up short I "putt" with my 6i. Someone taught me that trick decades ago and I've used it ever since because it was so easy to learn. Unless I'm faced with a trap or some other obstacle, the 7i works great for me. I've never understood those who lob everything in from short distance even when there's no hazard or other obstacle, I'd have to learn the feel for another stroke to do that vs just "putting." And when you blade a 7i chip it may come out fair, whereas if you blade a PW or SW you're way strong. YMMV

But again, whatever works for YOU. I saw a guy with a couple of woods/metals and a bag full of hybrids today, didn't see any irons. But if that works for him, so be it.

IMO, confidence in whatever you choose is half the battle.

Edited by Midpack

I played with a guy who had a chipper today. We played a scramble, and I chipped far better than he did using my 8-iron mostly. But whatever he likes. 

7 hours ago, WUTiger said:

*My 60˚ is an MD/PM grind with the high-toe face.

Excuse my lack of knowledge, what the heck is this all about?  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

36 minutes ago, Midpack said:

I played with a guy who had a chipper today. We played a scramble, and I chipped far better than he did using my 8-iron mostly. But whatever he likes. 

The question to ask is whether you would chip better with a chipper than you do with an 8-iron.  Not whether you chip better than some other dude. ;-) 

In David's bag....

24 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Excuse my lack of knowledge, what the heck is this all about?  

Sorry, I didn't mean to be mysterious.

MD_PMwedges.thumb.jpg.cd93efda4218629fdf728a285cb6d646.jpg

I have a Callaway MD (Mack Daddy) wedge with the PM (Phil Mickelson) grind. Just by chance, I found pix of the 60/10 which I have. If you look at the face, it has a taller toe than most clubs; the high toe lessens the chances you will hit under the ball or get a high-face miss in deep rough.

Also, the PM grind has a slightly concave sole (hollow area). The Ping Glide wedges have a similar grind in their E-sole.

Here's the product info. MD PM wedges

Edited by WUTiger
Removed duplicate picture of wedge.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• Administrator
10 hours ago, David in FL said:

45/45 = 90.  Yep, a freaking NINETY.   :~(

3 pars, 3 doubles, and 12 bogies.  Not even a penalty stroke. I actually hit the stinkin' ball that many times.

Some days I wished that I threw golf clubs...  :-(

Time to get a chipper.

So you, too, can join the ranks of the people who are half wasting a spot in their 14.

;-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

19 hours ago, Elmer said:

I am a guarantee 2 putt and a few 3's

Putting is not why you're a 15-16hcp. If you're hitting a high %GIR AND you only have a few 3 putts and otherwise 2 putts then you wouldn't be a 16hcp.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

11 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to be mysterious.

MD_PMwedges.thumb.jpg.cd93efda4218629fdf728a285cb6d646.jpg

I have a Callaway MD (Mack Daddy) wedge with the PM (Phil Mickelson) grind. Just by chance, I found pix of the 60/10 which I have. If you look at the face, it has a taller toe than most clubs; the high toe lessens the chances you will hit under the ball or get a high-face miss in deep rough.

Also, the PM grind has a slightly concave sole (hollow area). The Ping Glide wedges have a similar grind in their E-sole.

Here's the product info. MD PM wedges

I love this wedge. I have the same one and I rarely mishit it. I used to mishit my 56 degree wedge all the time. Inside 100 yards, I use this club 80% of the time. the other 20% is my pitching wedge for bump and run type shots if I have alot of green to work with.

19 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Putting is not why you're a 15-16hcp. If you're hitting a high %GIR AND you only have a few 3 putts and otherwise 2 putts then you wouldn't be a 16hcp.

@Elmer proximity to the pin might have something to do with it. I am in a similar situation, although I do get a few 1 putts per round. If you can get your approach shots and chips/pitches closer to the hole then you greatly increase your chances to make the first putt. 

Most of the time when I do get a GIR, I am 20+ feet away. So yes its on the green, but not with a realistic putt for birdie. Then the 1-2 times per round when I do have a birdie look from 10 feet or less, its still only a 50/50 chance of those putts going in. Sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Time to get a chipper.

;-)

You might be right.  I only hit one green all day and only got up and down twice, both from a green side bunker.

What a godawful round of golf!   

In David's bag....

Note: This thread is 1829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!