IGNORED

Mickelson a Captain's Pick? President's Cup

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

President's Cup - Pick Mickelson or Not  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pick Phil if you were in Captain Steve Stricker's shoes?

• Yes. He is a contemporary legend and needs to be included, regardless of his recent play
    • No. He has not earned a spot based on current play
    • Something else

Frankly, the President's Cup barely moves the needle for me.  I saw a "headline" speculating on whether Steve Stricker will or should pick Phil.  Would you pick Phil considering his mediocre season?  Should Steve pick him for the intangibles he might bring?

Edited by bkuehn1952

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Mickelson a Captain's Pick? President's Cup

Intangibles are over-rated.  Or not.  They are, after all, intangible.  I'd pick someone farther up the ladder.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Meh, it's the President's Cup.  Does anyone even care?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I would rather watch him than someone else.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

No!

USA will win anyway. Give someone else the oportunity to get some experience in matchplay and representing your country. Could be a good thing for next Rydercup.

To answer my own question, I would ask Phil if he wants to play.  If he indicated a reasonably high level of interest, I would include him.  If he is not invested in being on the team, I pick someone else.

I have heard he is a positive influence in team situations, but that may just be smoke being blown.

Brian Kuehn

I wouldn't pick Phil. He hasn't played well this year, and a lot of it seems to be that he doesn't have the endurance to play 4 good round in 4 days right now. While you can manage that at the President's Cup, it's still a lot of golf, and Phil will want to play. Plus, you can give a younger player a chance at international competition. You don't need Phil at the President's Cup.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

He definitely doesn't deserve a spot based on his play over the last several months.

I wouldn't be shocked if Stricker picked him out of respect/locker room aspect, etc., but without any form to go on, it's looking more likely than not that he gives the spot to a more deserving young guy.

If Phil wants to play, he'll be on the team.  If he ends up an asst captain, it'll be because it was his choice.  Or, he may even want to spend that time w family which he hasn't done in 20+ years.  He is the most influential player today, in terms of the PGA.  He's driving the bus.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

Ummm, errr, no! Stricker is driving the bus and Mickelson may be looking to get on! Or maybe not. No doubt Mickelson has played in tons of these and has experience, but you have to wonder how many points he can score for you!

I voted no.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

No.  I don't think he's earned it and I think that the President's Cup is a great way to get some of the younger guys some experience for the Ryder Cup.  I know it sucks to look at it that way...

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

On 8/25/2017 at 7:58 PM, Buckeyebowman said:

Ummm, errr, no! Stricker is driving the bus and Mickelson may be looking to get on! Or maybe not. No doubt Mickelson has played in tons of these and has experience, but you have to wonder how many points he can score for you!

Strick said in an interview yesterday that it's Phil's choice.  Thankfully he's having a good week so I'm sure he'll opt to play.

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

The way Phil's playing this week, Stricker would have more explaining to do if he didn't pick Phil, than if he picks him.

I expect we'll be seeing Phil as part of the team.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

The way Phil's playing this week, Stricker would have more explaining to do if he didn't pick Phil, than if he picks him.

I expect we'll be seeing Phil as part of the team.

The point is, Strick has no bearing on the decision.  If Phil wants to play, he'll play, otherwise, he won't.

8 hours ago, Gunther said:

The point is, Strick has no bearing on the decision.  If Phil wants to play, he'll play, otherwise, he won't.

It's a Captain's pick. Stricker is the Captain. He has plenty of bearing on the decision. 

I wouldn't pick Phil, although I'm a fan of his. He played better this week, but has be really inconsistent this year. Younger players also need to get experience.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2420 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!