IGNORED

ball recommendation. low side spin driver, high spin wedge.

Note: This thread is 2385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm looking for a golf ball that is low spin off driver so i don't slice/hook it out of bounds, and high spin to stick on the green.  I tried q star, but it didn't impress me and i had a bad slice that took me 2 fairways over. For the most part I do keep it in my fairway, but I have the occasional slice/hook and I don't want to blow up the hole because of the spin that is taking me out completely out of the game. a little spin on the green would be nice, but not as important as keeping my shots in the fairway. my high approach shots work out pretty good, and i can stop and stick range balls on the green. just a ball that gives me a good 1st shot gives me a lot of confidence.  When i hit that bad slice/hook i start 2nd guessing myself and my scores plummet. I just end up focusing my a huge slice/hook every time i  tee it up and that is when my score blows up.

looking for a low side spin off driver, mid/high spin wedge, with a soft or firm feel. 

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ball only does what the club head tells it to do. The club head only does what the golfer's overall swing tells it to do. 

In other words, good swings equal good shots, while bad swings equal poor shots.

Try a Bridgestone e6, or e7 ball. :-)

Edited by Patch
  • Like 1

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

8 hours ago, Patch said:

The ball only does what the club head tells it to do. The club head only does what the golfer's overall swing tells it to do. 

In other words, good swings equal good shots, while bad swings equal poor shots.

Try a Bridgestone e6, or e7 ball. :-)

e6 is what people are recommending, but wanted to see what people say here. also got recommendations for wilson duo and q star. I hit the q star and wasn't impressed. i have played duo and it was ok. i just don't want to be out of bounds with a bad swing. i will sacrifice green side spin if i can just keep it in play. i rather take an extra stroke and chip on the green, then to take a stroke from out of bounds far away like the tee box.

Driver: :tmade: 2017 M1 9.5° / 3-wood: :tmade: AeroBurner 13.5° / Irons: :mizuno:  MP-69 (3-PW) / Wedges: :titleist: SM6 Vokey 50°, 54°, 58° / Putter: :titleist: Scotty Cameron Newport with SuperStroke 3.0 slim, 50g counterweight / Balls: :bridgestone:  Tour B330-S

NLC Cup 2017 Champion / Grand Master's Cup 2017 Champion / TDR Cup 2017 Champion / DTG Celebration Cup 2017 Champion

On 8/28/2017 at 4:43 AM, RickPro said:

i just don't want to be out of bounds with a bad swing. 

Sad to say, but there's no golf ball that will completely overcome bad swings.  Your best course of action is to improve your swing, so you hit fewer big slices.

• Like 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

57 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Sad to say, but there's no golf ball that will completely overcome bad swings.  Your best course of action is to improve your swing, so you hit fewer big slices.

This.

It's also worth mentioning that there isn't a uniquely different "side spin".  There is only spin.  While some balls do spin less than others, the axis that the ball spins around is, as has been said, a result of how the club head strikes it.  And of course, that is solely dependent on your swing.  

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I play the Bridgestone E6, yes it have less workability and less "sidespin" as you said on long shots. On wedges from 100 yards the ball stops where it land with no backspin. Around the green it will not check like a premium ball and you have to learn to play with the extra roll. I don´t like back spin so i love this ball and i can buy it cheap here in argentina.

But i can tell you that when i hit the ball bad there´s no ball that will avoid me going intro trouble.

On 8/27/2017 at 4:25 PM, RickPro said:

I'm looking for a golf ball that is low spin off driver so i don't slice/hook it out of bounds, and high spin to stick on the green.

That would be the holy-grail of golf balls.

Many have tried... Taylormade Project A is one.  Low compression ball like other low spin balls, but with a urethane cover for high spin near the green.  Maybe the Callaway Chrome Soft, also a low compression ball with a urethane cover.

On soft receptive greens, I don't like a high spin ball as I'd prefer the ball to not back up much.

Edited by No Mulligans

On 8/28/2017 at 4:43 AM, RickPro said:

e6 is what people are recommending, but wanted to see what people say here. also got recommendations for wilson duo and q star. I hit the q star and wasn't impressed. i have played duo and it was ok. i just don't want to be out of bounds with a bad swing. i will sacrifice green side spin if i can just keep it in play. i rather take an extra stroke and chip on the green, then to take a stroke from out of bounds far away like the tee box.

Errr, I tried the Wilson Duo last year. The ultra-low 35 compression one, and didn't like it a bit. The ball just didn't go anywhere! It felt "lifeless" if that's a valid criticism. Last week I played a course known to have firm, fast greens, which they were. I used the Pinnacle Soft, and a well struck shot would stick on the green like it was Velcro! Plus they flew really well and felt great off the club.

They're pretty inexpensive so maybe grab a sleeve and try them out. Pinnacle also makes the Rush, a low spin distance ball. So far, the Soft is my favorite. BTW, I'm 64, about a 12-13 handicap, driver swing speed about 90mph.

All true...I guess the ball won't correct a swing. However, I saw a noticeable difference when using the e6 Soft, Chromesoft and its Costco counterpart Hex Soft. They just seem to maintain the line. I want to try the Snell, though. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

15 minutes ago, MarvChamp said:

All true...I guess the ball won't correct a swing. However, I saw a noticeable difference when using the e6 Soft, Chromesoft and its Costco counterpart Hex Soft. They just seem to maintain the line. I want to try the Snell, though. -Marv

which snell ball?

whats the difference between chromesoft and supersoft

30 minutes ago, RickPro said:

which snell ball?

whats the difference between chromesoft and supersoft

Probably the Get Sum (I like a softer ball). As for difference, I'm no expert but the Chrome Soft felt firmer, has a urethane cover and (I thought ) spins more on short shots. Otherwise, I am not good enough to know the difference. I'll bet Callaway has the specs for both online, though. -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

If you are slicing or hooking, no ball will eliminate it - 85% of flight is "where is that face pointing" at impact.

Most urethane balls are high launch, low spin off driver, higher spin around the greens, but spin is all relative as is launch. Some are designed for higher launch than others

I played the Snell MTB and the GETSUM - GETSUM is a nice ball but it rolls out. If you play roll, that's fine. But you want greenside spin. Same with Supersoft, but I like GETSUM better - I play these balls on damp/wet green because you will get some stop. BUT most of the time I play on hard greens, so I play a Callaway CS; some like the CS X. Titleist ProV1X is a firmer ball with higher launch and relatively low spin off driver. But it's clicky around the greens for some people. In their most recent revisions, Titleist has attempted to equalize the feel of both balls around the green, but I'm still working on my 2015 4 for 3 deal, so I have not hit the new versions. Best time to buy the ProV1 is on or around March 15-April 15 when they have the get 4 dz for price of 3 dz.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

3 hours ago, RickPro said:

which snell ball?

Ummmm...

On 8/28/2017 at 6:53 PM, Denny Bang Bang said:

@RickPro Snell MTB, if you're able to get them shipped out to AU

PS - If you can't keep the MTB in play, or check up on the green... the ball is not the problem 

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:43 AM, RickPro said:

just don't want to be out of bounds with a bad swing.

There isn't much difference in spin rates between premium golf balls and non-premium golf balls with regards to the driver. A bad swing is going to produce a tremendous amount of spin on the ball. At best you are looking at 300-500 rpm difference. Your ball strike can cause the ball to jump 2000 rpms!

The biggest issue is that on a bad strike you are tilting the spin axis a lot. That causes the ball to curve. There isn't a ball out there that will stop that.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• 2 weeks later...

I think there are really only two types of golf ball in the world: Urethane and non-urethane.

Largely, full-swing shots do what they do for me.  It's partial shots where spin seems to differ a lot for me, and urethane covers make a big difference.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 2385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!