IGNORED

PXG Bob Parsons Suing TaylorMade for Patent Infrigement

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

TaylorMade should counter sue because they were the first to put the adjustable weights on drivers and PXG took it to an Xtreme :-P 

r7-quad-etctg_1000.jpg

PXG-Driver-Precision-Weighting-System.jpg

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Patents are a strange animal.  A lot of it comes down to the verbiage of a particular patent and how vague it is to cover similar technologies that while not identical, would infringe on the particular patent.  I think the difference between other clubs filled with a material and PXG is that previous clubs had thick faces and Parsons' irons had thin enough faces to cave upon  without internal structural support.  The elastomer served to support these faces as well as provide sound/feel tuning.  

Taylormade's combination of a thin face with internal foam is where PXG smells foul play.  PXG's patent is probably vague enough to include a thin faced iron that requires the injection of internal supporting material.  Material isn't specified so whether it's elastomer, 'speedfoam', or molasses, it's covered by the patent.  Taylormade's case would be to show that their faces don't need the foam for adequate structural integrity, but rather tuning purposes because, as someone's already pointed out, PXG wasn't the first to do that.

TBH, I have't read the patents in full and my patent knowledge is limited to what I learned towards the end of studying mechanical engineering in college so as always, this is simply my $0.02 and should be taken with a grain of salt.  Just thought it would be an interesting topic to discuss.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

6 hours ago, iacas said:

I'm not a lawyer, obviously, but this doesn't feel like the kind of thing PXG will win. TaylorMade could easily show prior art, I think, and end up getting PXG's patents disallowed.

The material isn't the same. The injection process likely isn't the same. The general idea isn't new to PXG.

I don't know what PXG has going for it.

Hype.

I agree Taylormade has been doing this for a while. When I first saw the new irons I thought, hmm, they look a lot like the PXG irons but upon further research, it is the opposite. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I think to fill cavities with elastomer is one thing and many examples of it. You can vary density to mess with the COR. Not unique either.

I think the uniqueness may be in filling it and concealing it 100% (Nickent fill is not fully concealed - the three holes expose the polymer). There is aesthetic value to it - makes it look like a true MB while having the benefits of a thin face and having polymer inside. Not sure if that has been done before PXG. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Actually, after reading this article and watching the video embedded within, I kind of like Bob Parsons.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/13/inside-pxg-patent-suit-taylormade-equipment-company-prove-to-win

I can see why he wants/needs to defend his patents, unfortunately, I don't think he's going to win. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Who are the people that buy these 5000 dollar clubs?

They are typically post-college graduated parents who love golf so much it's worth spending that kind of money. The same kind who buy a luxury car the day their last kids graduate from college. :-D

Then there are the rich guys who have nothing better to spend their money on a new set of $32,000 gold plated hand finished all titanium CNC clubs with Tungsten inserts. . . The same kind who don't mind losing $100 a round to poorer players like yourself who claim to play bogey*** :whistle:

***Yes, I see your index is 6.5 :-D

Edited by Lihu

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

28 minutes ago, StefanUrkel said:

Some people have more disposable income than others, what of it?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Oh, no wonder I automatically disliked Parsons just from a quick glimpse. GoDaddy. On that basis alone, I wouldn't play those clubs if you paid me.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

1 hour ago, nevets88 said:

Oh, no wonder I automatically disliked Parsons just from a quick glimpse. GoDaddy. On that basis alone, I wouldn't play those clubs if you paid me.

I bet you would. 

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

3 hours ago, StefanUrkel said:

Club fitters like Club Champion, Cool Clubs, Hot Stix are doing very well with PXG.

Mike McLoughlin

The PXG xperience is only like 20 grand or so..   no biggie.  

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

A few clubfitters tell me that a lot of golfers who played Miura are now playing PXG - the irons do well.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Parsons gets free advertising if he can keep this lawsuit in mainstream news. He's possibly thinking he can benefit from TaylorMade's badguy image for flooding the market with new club designs circa 2014.

But, at $3,000 for a basic iron set, I doubt PXG will rustle that many customers away from TM.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

30 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Parsons gets free advertising if he can keep this lawsuit in mainstream news.

Well I don't know about that, lawsuits are pretty expensive ;-)

Mike McLoughlin

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

Parsons gets free advertising if he can keep this lawsuit in mainstream news. He's possibly thinking he can benefit from TaylorMade's badguy image for flooding the market with new club designs circa 2014.

But, at $3,000 for a basic iron set, I doubt PXG will rustle that many customers away from TM.

The keyword is "basic" too :-D

However, it seems like the same likely goes for PXG customers as well?

Club loyalty is a funny thing.

Mizuno players love the "feel" of their clubs and are convinced that they are playing with the same technology as Samurai swords.

Many Ping customers idolize the Eye2.

TM customers are mostly convinced they will gain 20 yards with every new generation of clubs.

Callaway customers are smarter than everyone else. :whistle:

It's all just marketing a hunk of steel or titanium or whatever glued to the end of a steel or graphite tube.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

7 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Actually it was the opposite, for me. This lawsuit piqued my interest in the P790s. If PXG is good at $3k a set, now you can get a similar set for $1,200 from Taylormade. ;-)

Update: PXG request for a TRO is denied.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2295 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!