IGNORED

Who is "That Guy" at your club?

bones75
Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

At my old club, That Guy wore John Daly pants, counted his ESC score as his real score, figured he was "about an 8" when he was about an 18, got annoyed by everything (weather, conditions, the people practice swinging on the teebox 3 holes over. the amount of sleep he got...), talked "business" on his phone a ton, and when he's having a bad hole, would sometimes drive his cart anywhere (up to 5' from the fringe), no matter what the cart signs said (he is an able-bodied 40-something).

Callout to @dzclarkcpa for starting the thought in the "Marker Size" thread.

2 minutes ago, bones75 said:

At my old club, That Guy wore John Daly pants, counted his ESC score as his real score, figured he was "about an 8" when he was about an 18, got annoyed by everything (weather, conditions, the people practice swinging on the teebox 3 holes over. the amount of sleep he got...), talked "business" on his phone a ton, and when he's having a bad hole, would sometimes drive his cart anywhere (up to 5' from the fringe), no matter what the cart signs said (he is an able-bodied 40-something).

Callout to @dzclarkcpa for starting the thought in the "Marker Size" thread.

Wait, you only have one?

:-D

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At our club... 'That Guy' is the guy who is constantly unhappy, regardless of the outcome of his shots.  He's a 15 who 'used to be a 2'.  He's incapable of completing a swing without slamming or throwing his club in disgust.  He's the reason there are putter marks on the greens.  He's the guy you pray you don't get paired with when you play in events.  He's the guy who will seek out the head groundskeeper to inform him of his struggles around the 16th green because his ball ended up sitting down a bit and he feels it's due to a conditioning error by the crew.  He's the guy in the 19th hole who never seems to have anyone seated near him.  

At our club... 'That Guy' is a douchebag.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I'm lucky. The league I play in with over 60 guys doesn't have anyone as bad as the OP describes, just garden variety complaining here and there. No cheating or driving carts where they shouldn't be (orange lines around all our greens) that I've seen. And no really bad tempers. It's nice. Sure I enjoy playing with some more than others, but I'm far from perfect too. Who knows, maybe I'm 'that guy'...

Edited by Midpack

We don't have anyone like you describe, but we used to have someone close. This guy has been kicked out of 4 different golf associations in town. We finally had to do something about him because no one would play with him anymore. We had multiple people tell the board if they ever got paired with him again they would withdraw and never play in another event.

His issue was he was just a jerk. One of those guys more interested in trying to call a penalty on someone else than playing his own game. Never had anything nice to say. Bothered by every sound, blamed every bad shot (and there were a lot of them) on everything except himself. I once played with him where he blamed a bad shot on a fish jumping in the pond. He wasn't even close to the pond!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

While I've been working on it very hard, I still got a bit of "That Guy" in me. There are good days and bad days, but it's better than it was a few years ago.

If nothing else, there are few people that actually choose to play with me. I've been a captain's pick on a few events when the captain in question had many other choices. The last time around, (as our D player) I was very happy to have played well in the particular outing, contribute to the effort and my team did well that day.. 

Alllegedly (according to the bar staff) we have a particular blowhard who runs around trying to hustle and bet everyone on golf. I'm not talking quarters either, but uncomfortable dollar amounts $$. (He rips off retired guys, essentially). 

I've yet to meet him, but he is a bully and nobody seems to like him. The clubhouse staff won't say anything bad at about anyone, but their silence was all I needed to hear about this guy. 

Edited by Kalnoky

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

This guy has been kicked out of 4 different golf associations in town.

Yea, my That Guy in the OP was kicked out of the men's club as well in his first year.  To add more color to my guy's background, this was in LA and he was a Hollywood agent (or at least so he claimed).

We don't have anyone quite THAT bad but there is one older gentleman that most golfers don't want to be paired with. His signature move is to throw his club if the shot is even a bit offline. The best retort to one of his temper tantrums that I heard was "Hey XXXX, you're not that good of a golfer to get that mad!" :-D It's my latest favorite saying to anyone that gets mad at their shot (myself included)!

• Thumbs Up 1

We had this guy at our club, big loud fella, you knew when he was around !  One competition day it's pouring down and people are dropping out like flies, even the club said it was up to individuals if they played.  One of our tee time three ball had already phoned and pulled out which left me with the fella, all geared up in full waterproofs.  I suggested I wasn't keen either, most players were calling it off, so he throws a strop and storms to the Pro Shop to look for players.  He clearly was desperate to play and didn't want anything to stop him.

So I decided to do what I thought was the decent thing and said "Ok I'll get the gear out, let's go play"  He stood waiting on the first tee and off we finally went.  He was very poor company and it was soon apparent he was playing rubbish, it was obvious his game was not in good shape and not just because of the weather.  So when we got to the ninth, after making all that fuss and I had come out, he decided he didn't want to carry on and suggested I see if the group behind would let me join them. And with that he walked off.

Some people are very selfish.

Edited by Keith White

Driver - Cleveland Launcher XL270
3 Wood - Cleveland Launcher HT FL3W
Hybrid - Adams A12OS 4h
Irons -  Mizuno MP54 5i - Pitch
Wedges - Cleveland 588 Rotex
Putter - Rife Mr Beasley
Remember, P23 - V4 !!

I have played with "That Guy" a few times, matter of fact I started a thread about one of them and etiquette a while back.  That Guy is everywhere like Guy Faux!  The only "club" I belonged too was a health club that had a real "That Guy" who used to love just hanging out in the men's locker room.  Stark naked, trying to hold lengthy conversations with anyone he could corner, and not so subtly trying to get you to look at his rather small package.  I honestly think he spent more time naked in the lockers than he did working out. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

19 hours ago, Grass Destruction said:

We don't have anyone quite THAT bad but there is one older gentleman that most golfers don't want to be paired with. His signature move is to throw his club if the shot is even a bit offline. The best retort to one of his temper tantrums that I heard was "Hey XXXX, you're not that good of a golfer to get that mad!" :-D It's my latest favorite saying to anyone that gets mad at their shot (myself included)!

OMG!!  That is an awesome line!!!

News flash: Nobody's perfect.

If I encounter that guy at my club, I just make sure I never play with him (or her) again.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Most of our 'that guy' stuff involves carts. We have a couple who hover there foot over the gas trying to time stomping the pedal down with your ball impact. Drive around in the woods looking for their ball while your standing in the fairway trying to play yours. Or just drive up to theirs in the fairway, in front of you, and give a steely eyed stare down the fairway without ever looking behind them. And then move the cart two feet over when asked.

Minor annoyances I know, not enough to ruin my round.

i play in several men's groups. There are a few, nothing horrible, just annoying.

1. Rageaholic club throwing cussing dude. He's got a game but the slightest mis-hit brings out the dark side

2. The snowflake, every little sound is to blame for a poor shot. Never mind that this group plays at a busy muni with sirens, military aircraft, commercial aircraft flying overhead

3. The deacon, like to tell how he leads a good charitable life. Talks trash about other players not in the foursome. Moves at glacial speed, yet won't play if he thinks it will be slow that day

4. Me......for reason unbeknownst to me.....yet

Dont know if they are "That Guy" material but there are 3 guys i see at the range pretty much everytime i go.

#1. The Grunter. This fella gives Maria Sharapova a run for her money. Every shot is accompanied by a grunt....even pitches for crying out loud.

#2. The Range Pro. Turns up in full golf attire even if not playin a round (last week all white) and has tour bag full of Titleist. Proceeds to skull his driver 50yds along the ground. My 4yr old hit his little driver 60yds in the air (not bad for a little lad) and the guy swore and moved bays.

#3. The Commentator. This dude commentates on every shot he hits. Last time i saw him he hit an iron shot and i heard him say "BOOM, there you go people, best shot you'll see all week." If he was the best golfer in the world it wouldnt be as bad but he aint......not by a looooooong shot!

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 2406 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!