Jump to content
nevets88

Blown leaf alters putt, you can replay?

39 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

I posted the misfortune that fell upon a Web.com player, just learned that it is within the rules to replay the putt. If this is the case, nice to know. Rule 19.1.b.

Update: Now I'm wondering, to add insult to injury, if he didn't replay, is that a penalty? And why is a worm, insect or the like an exception? Ugh, RoG gives me a headache.

Quote

If a player’s ball in motion after a stroke on the putting green is
deflected or stopped by, or comes to rest in or on, any moving
or animate outside agency, except a worm, insect or the like, the
stroke is canceled. The ball must be replaced and replayed.

 

This is what happened:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Otherwise he played from a wrong place.

Oh, yeah: http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/09/24/pro-golfers-ball-hit-blowing-leaf-leads-four-stroke-penalty .

And cue the people who think this is unfair, and all that's wrong with golf, and what keeps people from playing, and so on and so on…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm surprised he didn't at least ponder if there was a rule on that. I didn't know but had it happened to me I definitely would've asked my partner or someone there, 'hey is there a rule about this?' Certainly shows how it pays to know the rules. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 hours ago, nevets88 said:

And why is a worm, insect or the like an exception?

I'm curious to that as well. A june bug comes and smacks into your moving ball, seems just as a leaf blowing as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This is why you learn the rules. This would have been a huge advantage for him, both in getting the stroke back, and he already got to see a putt on his exact line. Sometimes (actually, often) the rules can work to your advantage!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

As has been pointed out elsewhere, the rule itself is designed so that you are not disadvantaged if your stroke from the green is knocked off course by something moving into your line of putt.

See 19-1/7
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Never thought he would have had to replay. Just assumed that would have been a rub of the green thing. 

It is in fact a rub of the green, which is defined in the Rules of Golf not as "bad luck" but as, quite literally:

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.36.09 AM.png

So it is a "rub of the green" thing, but in this case, because the stroke was made from the putting green, you're required to replay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Funny thing is I was wondering about that when you first posted this and I was confused.  When this happened to Phil during the Master's a few years ago it was important to note the seed thing shot in and landed on the ground in front of his ball causing it to deflect.  It did not hit the ball. 

So much to know about the rules... and then to know them well enough to make a ruling and be confident about it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, todgot said:

Funny thing is I was wondering about that when you first posted this and I was confused.  When this happened to Phil during the Master's a few years ago it was important to note the seed thing shot in and landed on the ground in front of his ball causing it to deflect.  It did not hit the ball. 

Yeah, Phil's thing wasn't moving. It was sitting still on the green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/27/2017 at 8:36 AM, iacas said:

It is in fact a rub of the green, which is defined in the Rules of Golf not as "bad luck" but as, quite literally:

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 8.36.09 AM.png

So it is a "rub of the green" thing, but in this case, because the stroke was made from the putting green, you're required to replay.

How about if the deflection left the ball closer to the hole than the golfer might have expected. Are they still "required" to replay the stroke?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

15 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

How about if the deflection left the ball closer to the hole than the golfer might have expected. Are they still "required" to replay the stroke?

Yep, that's what "the ball must be replaced and replayed" means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On ‎09‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 6:05 AM, DeadMan said:

This is why you learn the rules. This would have been a huge advantage for him, both in getting the stroke back, and he already got to see a putt on his exact line. Sometimes (actually, often) the rules can work to your advantage!

There are a lot of golf rules to learn but I'm trying

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a blowing leaf has a rule, what about a gust of wind by itself blowing a putt of course?

In the past I have had blowing leaves cause me an extra putt. I didn't really look at the leaf being the problem. I just figured it was the wind, that powered the leaf, that knocked my putt off line.  

Probably time I look at the rule book again. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Patch said:

If a blowing leaf has a rule, what about a gust of wind by itself blowing a putt of course?

Nope.

Wind is not an outside agency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...