IGNORED

Golf's Mental Game Aspect

iacas

On 5/11/2021 at 4:14 PM, mohearn said:

Well, recognize the gamemanship for what it is, they're trying to throw you off your game.Β  When you practice, try to recreate the feelings you had, then hit the ball.Β  Some people use anger at folks trying to game you to channel one's focus.Β  You can't control the outcome, just the next shot...Β  IΒ hope there wasn't $ riding on it!

It's just a small amount of money with everyone chipping in $30 for the pot, with 3 places for F9, B9 and overall. I played yesterday and finished second place with a score of 90 and most importantly didn't blow up in the last two holes.

• Like 1

Irons: 0.5 inch short and 2* Flat Mavrik 5 to AW (AW-105, PW-120, 9-135, 8-145) The lofts for these clubs are about 3* to 5* strongerΒ  than standard.

Wedges: Mizuno MP-R series 52* and 56*. (80, 60)

Nickent: 4DX 2 hybrid 17* and 4 hybrid 23* (185 and 170 carry)

3 Wood: Tour Edge XGC 13* (195 carry)

Driver: Callaway FT IZ Driver 9* (210 carry, ~230 total)

• 2 weeks later...

I had an interesting weekend. On Saturday I played with a couple friends and had the best ball striking day of my life. My two buddies scrambled against me and I shot 80Β beat to them by 5 should have been 10+ if I had managed the course better and made a putt. I had 2 water balls one was a bad line that I just couldn't get driver over a tree thatΒ I thought wasn't in play and the other was poor club selection on an island green par 3. I also flew 2 par 5s right over the pin with second shots by 15 yards ended up with pars, I played much better than the score indicates.Β 

The very next day I went out with some more friends (very hungover for context) and literally could not find the club face. Not a cute comment like I was hitting toes and thin shots, no, I couldn't hit the club face. Just pounding balls off the hossle over and over and over. Looking back on it I knew exactly what I was doing and when I got home I hit into my net for like 10-15 minutes and was perfectly fine. Then IΒ had a long grind session Monday everything was good,Β went and played TuesdayΒ and struck the ball okΒ (although the first few I felt uncomfortable thinking the shank monster was lurking) and now I feel completely fine again.Β 

This is not the first time I have dealt with shanks and it is 100% when I start to press I goΒ instinctual and get too on my toes kind of revert to my baseball swing lower half. I know this is the issue but mid round if I hit one it is so demoralizing my head starts to spin I panic and can't like just take a breath andΒ reset myself especially because of my history with them.Β 

I need to figure out a way to not be such a mental midget and be able to let go of the horrific shots. I have spent so much time getting my swing in order I should be able to get back on track quickly but the hossle shanks have my number. Does anyone know of a drill or book to read that can help exorcise these demons lol

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 5/26/2021 at 7:24 AM, Lugowskins said:

I panic and can't like just take a breath

You literally just gotta force yourself to do this. It will calm you down and allow your mind to remember that you have control over the shanks, as indicated by things like:

On 5/26/2021 at 7:24 AM, Lugowskins said:

Looking back on it I knew exactly what I was doing and when I got home I hit into my net for like 10-15 minutes and was perfectly fine.

rather than the shanks having control over you.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Without doubt, the most idiotic and baseless claim is this: "Golf is 90% mental and 10% physical".

I've never seen a 27 handicapper make this claim - it is only people like Nicklaus who say it - those who have pretty much mastered both dimensions.

Can't say that my "mental game" has helped me muscle my way out of rough or improve my driving accuracy.

I wonder if Bryson would attribute his power to his strong mental game.Β 

Β 

Screen Shot 2021-06-27 at 10.03.02 am.png

Edited by Shorty

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, two athletes that just took over their sports, practiced more than anyone else, and did it smartly. To me, it's more insane amounts of talent + insane amounts of sacrifice to hone that talent into a crazy amounts of consistent ability.Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

9 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods, two athletes that just took over their sports, practiced more than anyone else, and did it smartly. To me, it's more insane amounts of talent + insane amounts of sacrifice to hone that talent into a crazy amounts of consistent ability.Β 

Yep.

SayingΒ "Golf is 90% mental and 10% physical" is the equivalent of saying "You can do anything", "Anything is possible", "If you can dream it you can be it" or "Rahm just wanted the US Open moe than Louis. It came down to who wanted it more." Complete hogwash and BS.

Β 

Β 

Well apparently you have to have some degree of mental involvement to play this game wellΒ :whistle:

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
1 minute ago, billchao said:

Well apparently you have to have some degree of mental involvement to play this game wellΒ :whistle:

Some. You can’t be thinking about your car’s next service appointment while faced with a 27-footer.

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

To a point, yes - focus on the shot at hand, don't get ahead of yourself, don't dwell on past shots that can't be changed.

But my guess is that Iacas doesn't have too many students where he's telling his colleagues about the guy he's teaching who has a fantastic move through the ball, hits it 290 and pretty straight, has only been playing for 5 months, Β but.........what really impresses is his mental game. ;-)

Β 

Edited by Shorty

Β 

Β 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Shorty said:

To a point, yes - focus on the shot at hand, don't get ahead of yourself, don't dwell on past shots that can't be changed.

What you’re missing @ShortyΒ is that Bill wasn’t really β€œpresent” for a lot of his putts. We discovered this after he hit an 80-footer 20 feet, and then the resulting 60-footer about 30. πŸ˜„

Just now, iacas said:

What you’re missing @ShortyΒ is that Bill wasn’t really β€œpresent” for a lot of his putts. We discovered this after he hit an 80-footer 20 feet, and then the resulting 60-footer about 30. πŸ˜„

At least he improved his mental focus from 25% to 50%! :-) He's moving in the right direction!🀣

Β 

Β 

Β 

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

We discovered this after he hit an 80-footer 20 feet, and then the resulting 60-footer about 30. πŸ˜„

Hah. I thinkΒ just gotta laugh it off and hopefully do better next time. It's not some major 'mental' condition. Golf has a low tolerance for brain farts/lack of presence.Β 

I am glad something like driving is not so unforgiving.Β 

Vishal S.

43 minutes ago, iacas said:

And it was a putt for eagleΒ :8)

Bill

β€œBy three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, billchao said:

Or why Tim Horton’s wasn’t open at 5AM like it was supposed to be!

Even the mental β€œprocess” we worked on at Whispering Woods is actually more physical. We worked on a pre-shot routine for shot plan, aim andΒ setup then swing thought. We rehearsed this to make it a physical routine.Β 

Scott

Titleist, Edel,Β Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

14 hours ago, Shorty said:

Yep.

SayingΒ "Golf is 90% mental and 10% physical" is the equivalent of saying "You can do anything", "Anything is possible", "If you can dream it you can be it"

This is one of the new age philosophies of today, "If you think you can do it, you can". It's easy to say the 90/10 adage when you already have all the physical tools working for you. I would say for a guy like Nicklaus, Tiger, Bryson, Brooks, etc, one of their biggest areas that can make or break their round resides between their ears, because they have the physical tools already.

Thomas Gralinski,Β 2458080

2 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

I would say for a guy like Nicklaus, Tiger, Bryson, Brooks, etc, one of their biggest areas that can make or break their round resides between their ears, because they have the physical tools already.

Not really.Β 

In the end, their swings are not 100% the same every day. The way their body feels swinging the club is not the same. Rory has talked about this, how to get around the course with your C-Game. It is why he is making some swing changes.Β Β There are just days when things are not clicking. This has nothing to do with the mental game. Our bodies are not in some constant state. There are days where I wake up with a ton of sinus pressure and my equilibrium is out of whack. There is no way my golf swing would feel the same if I didn't have the sinus pressure. There is nothing mental about it.Β 

Also, there are times when PGA Tour golfersΒ miss a 3-FT putt. That is just statistics. They make 99/100 3-FT putts. It wasn't a mental glitch that caused them to miss it. Though, we like to think that they are so skilled they should never miss a 3-FT putt. That is absurd.Β 

For me, the biggest mental issues are making poor game planning decisions. Also, if you are prone to letting anger linger for a long time, then that is something you can train yourself to get over sooner. Not getting angry in the moment, that is extremely hard to learn to do 100% of the time.Β 

When a PGA Tour player hits a very rare bad shot in the worst possible moment. Maybe its a combination of pressure and lack of focus. It could also be just a really bad shot creeping in.Β 

Β 

Β 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
Β fasdfaΒ dfdsafΒ 

What's in My Bag
Driver;Β :pxg:Β 0311 Gen 5,Β  3-Wood:Β 
:titleist:Β 917h3 ,Β  Hybrid:Β  :titleist:Β 915 2-Hybrid,Β  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel:Β (52, 56, 60),Β  Putter: :edel:,Β  Ball: :snell:Β MTB,Β Β Shoe: :true_linkswear:,Β  Rangfinder:Β :leupold:
Bag:Β :ping:

I talked with a friend of mine who played college golf back in the day about this topic. He’s 36 year old, average,Β dad bod kind of guyΒ but still carries a scratch handicap despite working at a law firm. I’veΒ had him on my simulator, and he still gets around Tour average ball speed with every club in the bag, e.g., he gets into the 170’s with his driver. I have no idea how, and he doesn’t look like he should be able to do that because of his build and lack of time to play and practice.Β He grew up in Virginia and played with guys like Lanto Griffin in junior events.Β His swing reminds me of Boo Weeklyβ€”simple looking and not β€œquick.” 
Β 

I’ve been saying largely what you guys have said hereβ€”golf being mostly physical and skill-based. He has argued that that stuff is aΒ prerequisite, but the mental game is pretty important. He made some good points:

- plotting your way around the course and avoiding trouble

- blocking out your own internal noise, e.g., old bad habits you’re trying to overcomeΒ 

- blocking out external noise (maybe not literally β€œnoise,” but distractions, annoyances, etc.)

- commitment to what you’re trying to do in terms of your swing and trying to put new changes into effect in a tournament environmentΒ 

- commitment to the shot you’re trying to play and blocking out things like β€œdon’t hit it OB left” or β€œdon’t hit it in the water on the right”

Β 

• Informative 1