IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I agree, the monthly selections would be a fun way to do it.  And if the teams are filled out by late July/early August, that would provide a fair amount of time to sort out travel.

Guess I better get to the range and start shaking off the dust...

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, iacas said:

If you've got a Newport Cup Candidate badge, just make sure your "index" on your profile here on TST is up-to-date and accurate.

It's as accurate as a winter index can be. I've only played 5 or 6 times since Thanksgiving, unfortunately.

5 hours ago, iacas said:

Note that if you played in the 2015 Newport Cup, right now, I'd say that slightly hurts your chances of playing in the 2017 Newport Cup.

@mvmac may not do that, but for the Blue team, I'm leaning that way, toward getting some "new blood" involved. It's not a strong lean or bias, but it's there for me a little right now.

I think this is excellent. Getting new folks into the mix is a great idea.

Michael

6 hours ago, iacas said:

@mvmac may not do that, but for the Blue team, I'm leaning that way, toward getting some "new blood" involved. It's not a strong lean or bias, but it's there for me a little right now.

New blood, old blood, I don't care, whoever bribes me the most gets in :-P

Seriously though yes I'd like to get a good mix of new players with returning players. Barrett isn't playing this year so there's one new spot already. We had a tough time filling a team last time so I look forward to the "luxury" of having to make tough decisions of who is in and who's out. 

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

24 minutes ago, mvmac said:

New blood, old blood, I don't care, whoever bribes me the most gets in :-P

What's your favorite kind of chocolate?

Totally in favor of monthly selections. Flights from Colorado are somewhat expensive to that area of the country, so the more time to book a flight, the better. I will definitely keep my handicap index up to date, although Colorado doesn't go back to active season until March 15.

Curious, though, which airport is closer to Pinehurst? Raleigh or Charlotte? I just mapped from the cities, and it looks like it's about an even drive. Am I wrong?

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Raleigh is about an hour shorter drive.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

24 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

Curious, though, which airport is closer to Pinehurst? Raleigh or Charlotte? I just mapped from the cities, and it looks like it's about an even drive. Am I wrong?

I just ran this on Google Earth.  Charlotte Douglass airport is about two hours driving to Pinehurst.  Raleigh Durham is about 1:15.  And I see that @kpaulhus has already told you the right info.  Charlotte is a bigger airport, and may have a better selection of flights available.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I was just putting in the cities instead of the airports/resort address, so that's probably what tripped me up. I'll probably end up flying into whichever airport is cheaper (looks like Raleigh). I'm happy to split a rental car with people to get to and from Pinehurst. This is all assuming I'm picked, obviously.

-- Daniel

2 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I'm happy to split a rental car with people to get to and from Pinehurst. This is all assuming I'm picked, obviously.

That's what we did in 2015, and I think it worked out OK.  Depending on schedules, we may be able to pick you up and drop you off as required.  I have a sister who lives pretty close to the airport.  If I'm one of the lucky selections, I might be able combine a family visit with some "taxi service."  As you mentioned, the detailed coordination will have to wait until all the selections are made.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

1 minute ago, DaveP043 said:

That's what we did in 2015, and I think it worked out OK.  Depending on schedules, we may be able to pick you up and drop you off as required.  I have a sister who lives pretty close to the airport.  If I'm one of the lucky selections, I might be able combine a family visit with some "taxi service."  As you mentioned, the detailed coordination will have to wait until all the selections are made.

I'm thinking about staying until late on Sunday and getting a round in on Pinehurst #2 as well... I'd imagine other people who have never been to Pinehurst before might be interested in that.

Unrelated to this discussion, I have a bunch of detailed information on my game that I think you would find useful in deliberating my selection, @mvmac. I have a bunch of stats and feelingsball stuff that you should probably know before selecting me. Do you care about that stuff at all? I figured I would just PM it to you when you got closer to selections. Let me know.

-- Daniel

I tell great stories and can hit the ball left handed to get out of trouble if that helps my chances of a repeat pick lol

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Just now, kpaulhus said:

I tell great stories and can hit the ball left handed to get out of trouble if that helps my chances of a repeat pick lol

Not to mention the immense hook over neighboring houses, if required.  Sadly, its not required on either of these courses.

Dave

Just now, DaveP043 said:

Not to mention the immense hook over neighboring houses, if required.  Sadly, its not required on either of these courses.

haha the hook as been tamed. No way I would have signed up for the Mid Am qualifier if that was still in the bag. 

Kyle Paulhus

I'd like to officially throw my name in the hat for the Newport Cup.  I guess maybe I was already in the hat, I think @iacas gave me the badge after my joke about wanting a llama caddy..  I realize I'm newer to the site, but look forward to continue to get to know everyone and if not this time, maybe 2019 will work.  My only potential conflict is my daughter's soccer team might have a tournament that weekend I would have to be at, but hoping that is not the case.  Figured I should give you all and my potential coach some more info.  My first priority is to get a GHIN Handicap.  I had one a couple years ago, then took a break from the club I was at because I really wasn't playing much.  Put some scores in one of those apps that approximates a handicap and I was about an 8-9 last year.  I put 10 on my avatar for now.  I'll get a chance to play a couple rounds next week in Florida, and then hopefully as the weather warms up here in Missouri I can get the rounds logged quickly so my handicap is more accurate.  So whether I'm on the team or not, this sounds like a great event and looking forward to hearing about it.  Go Team West...

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

• Administrator
8 hours ago, Pretzel said:

What's your favorite kind of chocolate?

Dark.

Like his women.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

54 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I'm thinking about staying until late on Sunday and getting a round in on Pinehurst #2 as well... I'd imagine other people who have never been to Pinehurst before might be interested in that.

Its certainly worth looking into playing #2, but be warned the price will knock your socks off, something in the range of $400 if you're not staying at the Pinehurst Resort.  There are a couple of other excellent Donald Ross courses you can play, for a lot less money, including MidPines, Pine Needles, and Southern Pines GC.  Also nearby is the Dormie Club, designed by Crenshaw and Core.  And for pure entertainment, you can play at Tobacco Road on your way back toward the Raleigh airport.

• Upvote 2

Dave

Note: This thread is 2399 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!