IGNORED

How Often Do you Hit the Sweet Spot? Solid Contact?

iacas
Note: This thread is 2325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quality of Contact  

51 members have voted

1. 1. How many times out of 10 (nearest number) do you hit the ball "solidly"? (See definition in first post)

2. 2. How many times out of 10 (nearest number) do you hit the ball on "the sweet spot"? (See definition in first post)

• Administrator

The definitions are:

Sweet Spot - Only the best contact. The kind that makes your loins sing. The kind you can't imagine hitting much better. The kind that produces virtually no twisting. It's not "solid but a little on the toe" or "half a groove thin." It's just about perfect. If the Rules of Golf define virtual certainty as about 95%+, then "sweet spot" means you're virtually certain it can't get any better.

Solid Contact - A shot that flies pretty much like the other "good" shots. Tops, shanks, thins, fats… they're out the window, as are shots more than 1/3" to 1/2" from the sweet spot. Solid contact feels good, and you'll take them all day, but they're not the purest it can get.

As for me, I voted…

9 for solid contact, and 1 for sweet spot.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted 0 out of 10 for sweet spot - my guess is maybe 3% on hitting the actual sweet spot. Thinking of this weekend, I remember about 5 shots where I truly felt like I pured it. Out of roughly 180 shots, that's about 2.7%.

I put 6 of 10 for solid contact. I think I'm about 7 of 10 for solid contact with a 7 iron through lob wedge, 6 out of 10 for solid contact with a 6 iron - 3 wood, and 5.5 out of 10 for solid contact with a driver. I do have days where I'm 9 of 10, but I also have days where I'm 4 out of 10. I might be closer to 7 out of 10 on this, though. 6 out of 10 feels low, but the more I think about it, that seems about right.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I voted 0 for the sweet spot, 5 for solid contact.

I can feel off-center shots, but they often go nearly as far with the JPX 850's - considered SGI irons. The clean contact shots tend to get more height. I have had rounds where most of my iron shots were clean, but on average, 5 out of 10 seems right.

Based on the description above, I hit the sweet spot very rarely on the course, but I really don't know.

Now that I read @DeadMan's post (who plays at 5.1), I'm starting to feel like I'm full of  @#!@.

Jon

Voted 4 out of 10 for solid, 1 for sweet spot as that is the lowest number on the poll. Zero cannot be true although I am pretty sure closer to zero (%) than 1 (10%). One thing I am pretty sure I have hit it at least once in the last 12-13 years or so...:-)

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

Voted 4 out of 10 for solid, 1 for sweet spot as that is the lowest number on the poll. Zero cannot be true although I am pretty sure closer to zero (%) than 1 (10%). One thing I am pretty sure I have hit it at least once in the last 12-13 years or so...:-)

You could vote 0 if that number is closer to the percentage than 1. That's why there's a "0" option.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I voted 4 and 0.

I wasn't sure how I wanted to vote solid contact. By the definition of within 1/2" of center, I'm usually with that margin on my normal strikes, so I was going to say 6. By the standard of the shots feeling good, I was going to say 3, but that may be because I typically strike the ball just a hair thin or towards the toe and I hate the feeling of both of those shots. However, they fly well, hold greens, and nobody other than me usually can tell that I missed it, so I split the difference (sort of) and voted 4.

Pure contact is definitely closer to 0 than 1.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

The only time I can hit solidly is on the range, and not that often. Voted 0/0

I’m not happy with the on course flight and direction.

Edited by Lihu

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

1 hour ago, iacas said:

You could vote 0 if that number is closer to the percentage than 1. That's why there's a "0" option.

Done. I hit only one shot all day yesterday that felt pure. 5i on the 181 yard par 3 on the back nine. Funny I missed green by 3 yards as wind held it from drawing in and then failed to get up and down.. drat.

Vishal S.

4 for solid, 1 for sweet.

I was having trouble with iron shots toward the toe, so I started lining up in the second quadrant of the clubface (about 3/8" toward the heel). This has improved the number of solid hits - I may need to get my iron shafts extended a bit during winter regrip.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I voted 8 for solid.  Solid contact has always been a big strength of mine, unlike hitting it where I planned...

I voted 1 for sweet spot.  That might be a tad generous, but you figure I'm hitting ~36 full swing shots per round.  No, I'm not playing sub-par, it's just I'm not hitting 3 full swing shots on any par 4.  I might punch out of jail or pitch on from nGIR, but I'm still only taking two full swings.  So I only have to average 1.8 really nutted shots per round to come in at 5% and round to 1/10.  I think I can honestly say I pure 2 shots a round...

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

12 hours ago, iacas said:

The definitions are:

Sweet Spot - Only the best contact. The kind that makes your loins sing. The kind you can't imagine hitting much better. The kind that produces virtually no twisting. It's not "solid but a little on the toe" or "half a groove thin." It's just about perfect. If the Rules of Golf define virtual certainty as about 95%+, then "sweet spot" means you're virtually certain it can't get any better.

Solid Contact - A shot that flies pretty much like the other "good" shots. Tops, shanks, thins, fats… they're out the window, as are shots more than 1/3" to 1/2" from the sweet spot. Solid contact feels good, and you'll take them all day, but they're not the purest it can get.

As for me, I voted…

9 for solid contact, and 1 for sweet spot.

I voted 4 and 0, not based on the definitions you provided,  but based on your vote (9 and 1), and how I would compare my game to yours.   I think if you hit a solid shot 9 out of 10 times, then I should say I hit that kind of shot 4 out of 10 times.   I believe you would define "sweet spot" as much much smaller and more elusive than I would, but we have to agree on a definition, so taking your definition, which is really, "a spot you hit 1 out of 10 times," then I should say less than that.  So I said 0. 

I picked zero out of 10 for hitting the sweet spot. I am not confident enough to claim that I can hit the sweet spot 10% of the time. I might say closer to 4-5%.

I picked 9 out of 10 for hitting a solid shot. I might catch a shot on the toe (outside that 1/3 to 1/2 distance) from time to time. To me, solid contact doesn't necessarily mean a good turn out. I've hit some really well struck pulls, or really good struck push cuts before. I've had some pretty nasty toe draws that have turned out really good.

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

15 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Now that I read @DeadMan's post (who plays at 5.1), I'm starting to feel like I'm full of  @#!@.

I was being harsh on myself, partially because my last round sucked. I definitely have rounds where I'm hitting it solidly 9/10 or close to 10/10 on this scale (i.e., only one or two badly struck shots).

Also, my badly struck shots probably end up in a better place than yours. If I don't hit it solidly, I'll generally come up 30 yards short but still advance the ball quite a bit. Or it will be a bit off target. But still playable and okay for a lot of golfers. I don't know how many times I've hit a poorly struck shot and had other people say that it's a good shot.

None of that is meant to be a put down, by the way. A huge difference between higher and lower handicappers is how bad their bad shots are.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

15 hours ago, GolfLug said:

15 hours ago, iacas said:

A few days ago we’re told in no uncertain terms “The sweet spot is very very small. Technically speaking it’s a point. Not an area.” and that 6-8% “sweet spot” is about right for pros and scratch players. And then we’re given a “sweet spot” poll where the options are in 10% increments (e.g. 0%, 10%, 20%,...100%)? 

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Midpack said:

A few days ago we’re told in no uncertain terms “The sweet spot is very very small. Technically speaking it’s a point. Not an area.” and that 6-8% “sweet spot” is about right for pros and scratch players. And then we’re given a “sweet spot” poll where the options are in 10% increments (e.g. 0%, 10%, 20%,...100%)? 

Yup. Same options as for “solid.” Gotta provide options for the delusional. ;-)

It’s two poll questions, with definitions.

But seriously, though, the real answers come in the comments, and it would have been impractical to create a poll with about 30 options.

1 hour ago, DeadMan said:

I was being harsh on myself, partially because my last round sucked. I definitely have rounds where I'm hitting it solidly 9/10 or close to 10/10 on this scale (i.e., only one or two badly struck shots).

Also, my badly struck shots probably end up in a better place than yours. If I don't hit it solidly, I'll generally come up 30 yards short but still advance the ball quite a bit. Or it will be a bit off target. But still playable and okay for a lot of golfers. I don't know how many times I've hit a poorly struck shot and had other people say that it's a good shot.

None of that is meant to be a put down, by the way. A huge difference between higher and lower handicappers is how bad their bad shots are.

Not taken as a put down in the least. I couldn’t agree more.

Still, there is likely some unintentional exaggeration in my part.:beer:

Jon

4-5 on solid contact for me. Probably 7-8 on the range since there's so much more time to groove the swing.

If I hit the sweet spot, it's probably just luck. I don't have that kind of control or ability to do everything perfectly where it wasn't just a fortunate accident. :)

Note: This thread is 2325 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!