IGNORED

Skins Game Question

love the game
Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 minutes ago, love the game said:

I play in a 4 person game that includes skins every week.   We have a 8 handicap, 13, 16 and 19.   Should natural birdies beat a par with a stroke?   Thanks

Do you give strokes by exact handicap numbers or some factor?

Usually, there are 4 players so a low tie usually carries over even if there is a natural birdie. Guessing the 8 is kind of pissed?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The way we play the natural birdie and par with a stroke push.  I know it stinks for the 8 but he probably should not be playing a type of match play against a 13, 16, and 19 giving strokes.  We always play against the best handicap so the 8 would give 5 strokes to the 13 (no too bad), 8 strokes to the 16 (too many), and 11 to the 19 (way too many).  I suggest adding a net side bet for each 9 and overall to give the better player more of a chance to win. 

In my opinion a natural birdie and a Par with a stroke (so net birdie) should be equal and push the skins to the next hole. Thats my understanding of how the individual hole handicap works.

Sure the guy thats a 19hcp could get a par on a hole where he gets a stroke, but he could also get a double or triple on the same hole. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

• iacas changed the title to Skins Game Question
  • Administrator

The 8 should play off scratch, the others should play off 5, 8, and 11, and net scores are all that count. Two tie, all tie, and the skin carries over.

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The 8 handicap is going to have a difficult time winning too much, but as long as your not playing $20 a hole you should be okay. Play off the 8 handicap so he will play as a 0, the 13 will be a 5, the 16 an 8, and the 19 an 11. I occasionally play in a group like this (except I actually give more strokes) and I rarely get killed. Natural and net birdies push.

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

1 hour ago, Lihu said:

Do you give strokes by exact handicap numbers or some factor?

Usually, there are 4 players so a low tie usually carries over even if there is a natural birdie. Guessing the 8 is kind of pissed?

lol  you are a mind reader!!!  We play exact handicap but we aren't playing off the 8 handicap which might make a difference.  Thanks!

53 minutes ago, iacas said:

The 8 should play off scratch, the others should play off 5, 8, and 11, and net scores are all that count. Two tie, all tie, and the skin carries over.

We haven't been playing off the 8 handicap, everyone takes  their full handicap.   Is it harder for the 8 handicap this way?  Thanks!

2 hours ago, love the game said:

We haven't been playing off the 8 handicap, everyone takes  their full handicap.   Is it harder for the 8 handicap this way?  Thanks!

@iacas correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the way you suggested  make it more fair for the 8 handicap? Since the 19 handicap would only be getting strokes on 11 holes compared to if they each used there own handicaps now the 19 hcp would get a stroke on every hole?

In just straight stroke play it wouldnt matter as much I dont think becausethe 8 hcp would still give up 11 strokes regardless, but since its skins format where each hole is separate, thats where I think its more fair to use the difference between each of your handicaps to determine when you should and shouldnt be giving shots.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

When I play net skins, I only play if we all get our strokes.  I don’t make that many birdies, so giving strokes in a skins game not my cup a tee.

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

Just now, jsgolfer said:

When I play net skins, I only play if we all get our strokes.  I don’t make that many birdies, so giving strokes in a skins game not my cup a tee.

So, you'll only play if the odds are stacked in your favor?  Skins is basically match play, so handicaps should be managed the same way.  Wheel off the low guy and the rest get the difference from him.  If you play against 3 others who are all getting 8 or more strokes, then you might actually be at a disadvantage, but that can be modified by taking a percentage of the difference, say 80% of full stroke allotment. 

That will pare the odds back if you are playing against bogey golfers or worse.  Their stroke allocations will be clipped by more than yours will because 80% of 12 is 9.6 while 80% of  5.2 is 4.1 - you have gained a stroke and a bit more by that adjustment.  It's the fairest way to make it work for the whole foursome.  Even then, it can only be tested by trying it and see who wins most consistently and only adjust if the numbers actually indicate that something isn't right.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

23 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

So, you'll only play if the odds are stacked in your favor?  Skins is basically match play, so handicaps should be managed the same way.  Wheel off the low guy and the rest get the difference from him.  If you play against 3 others who are all getting 8 or more strokes, then you might actually be at a disadvantage, but that can be modified by taking a percentage of the difference, say 80% of full stroke allotment. 

That will pare the odds back if you are playing against bogey golfers or worse.  Their stroke allocations will be clipped by more than yours will because 80% of 12 is 9.6 while 80% of  5.2 is 4.1 - you have gained a stroke and a bit more by that adjustment.  It's the fairest way to make it work for the whole foursome.  Even then, it can only be tested by trying it and see who wins most consistently and only adjust if the numbers actually indicate that something isn't right.

Skins is nothing like match play, IMO.  Especially where I play when thee are upwards of 16 players over 4 groups.  But why is everyone getting their handicap stacked only in my favor, handicaps are designed to make everyone close to even.  

Net skins just not my game, even at 80%.  I’d rather play a Nassau then net skins. 

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

7 hours ago, love the game said:

I play in a 4 person game that includes skins every week.   We have a 8 handicap, 13, 16 and 19.   Should natural birdies beat a par with a stroke?   Thanks

No.  

Edited by ghalfaire
As stated earlier skins is usually played with the low handicap golfer playing scratch and other receive the difference between, in this case, their handicap and 8.

Butch

2 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

Skins is nothing like match play, IMO.  Especially where I play when thee are upwards of 16 players over 4 groups.  But why is everyone getting their handicap stacked only in my favor, handicaps are designed to make everyone close to even.  

Net skins just not my game, even at 80%.  I’d rather play a Nassau then net skins. 

Agree.  Gross skins only.  If there's that dramatic a difference in handicaps, there are games that make better use of the handicap system.

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Agree.  Gross skins only.  If there's that dramatic a difference in handicaps, there are games that make better use of the handicap system.

Agreed! That's how we play it! But, we're pretty close in HI! If I shoot 4 and your shoot 5, you lose! HI should be for stroke play!

I've believed for a long time that Skins in a group of 4 or more tends to favor the higher handicaps.  It doesn't matter much whether you're playing off the low ball or playing full handicap, the greater variability in hole scores typical of higher handicaps means that they'll have more "low" hole scores, net birdies or better.  Of course they'll have more high scores too, but those are losers no matter what.  I've read that using a percentage of handicap, somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4, tends to make things more even.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
13 hours ago, jsgolfer said:

When you're playing with 16 people across groups, yes, you all get your handicap. But even then the higher handicappers are favored, so I recommend 75% handicaps or something like that.

20 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I've believed for a long time that Skins in a group of 4 or more tends to favor the higher handicaps.  It doesn't matter much whether you're playing off the low ball or playing full handicap, the greater variability in hole scores typical of higher handicaps means that they'll have more "low" hole scores, net birdies or better.  Of course they'll have more high scores too, but those are losers no matter what.  I've read that using a percentage of handicap, somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4, tends to make things more even.  

Exactly.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

@love the game there are better games for only four players than a skins game.

Skins is a good game when there are more players.
But if your group is set on only skins, there are multiple ways to play.

The most popular are Gross, Net, Half Stroke and Validation Skins.
And also, Skins can be played with Carry-Over holes.

To add a little twist to Skins, we play Qualifiers Skins.
Any birdie, gross or net would win one skin regardless if there are multiple birds on a hole.

You could also throw in "Par or Better" rule in order to win.

In general, Nassau is the choice game with foursomes.
Each player is paired for six holes in a Match Play format and then pairings change.
To keep all players in every hole, I like to count both scores or count both when the low ball is tied.

We also play Front End-Back End and Total within the six holes, a three hole mini match with allowing Presses when down.

There are many other games for foursomes if you care to play various types.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

Note: This thread is 2311 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!