IGNORED

Dri-Tac Winn Wraps

Bucki1968
Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I usually don't go for Winn grips (used them about 5 years ago) because it seems like they wear out quickly. I'm thinking of re gripping clubs with the Dri-Tac (Like the way they feel). Do these hold up any better than the previous models?

Dri-Tac Wrap Standard

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

They have held up on one of my sets. However, I read the instructions about cleaning at Winn's site; that seems to be a primary cause of deterioration. Also, I must note that I have not played that set as often as others so maybe you could say how often you play and someoneelse could chime in. Best wishes, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

I usually don't go for Winn grips (used them about 5 years ago) because it seems like they wear out quickly. I'm thinking of re gripping clubs with the Dri-Tac (Like the way they feel). Do these hold up any better than the previous models?

Dri-Tac Wrap Standard

If you are high speed, I see an X Stiff shaft in your bag, you may place too much torque on the grip - you will not like it, and the grips will not last. I don't see many higher speed golfers liking Winn - they are not free and you'll need to replace them more frequently -  but they are comfortable.

You may like leather - soft feel and last several years, which makes up for the initial high price. They are also excellent in warm and wet conditions. GripMaster is the brand I prefer.

After an exaustive and expensive search, I settled on MCC+4. I like less taper, cord for heat/humidity.

Another soft feeling rubber grip is a plain, old Pure Pro - I build up the lower hand when I use these.

BUT I think you ought to try the Golf Pride CP 2  Pro and CP2 Wrap - Winn Type soft Feel but may torque better and last longer - see www.golfpride.com

Edited by Mr. Desmond
  • Informative 1

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

The only grips we ever get any complaints on in the pro shop are Winns. The only grips I have ever been disappointed in were Winns. We sell the Dri-Tacs in the shop and from what I can see they are similar to all the other Winn models. If you were deciding on grips in my pro shop, I would try to talk you out of them. My $0.02.

• Informative 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• Administrator
2 hours ago, colin007 said:

Winn grips are the worst. Seriously, they're stealing your money.

PURE grips FTMFW

This x 10. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

12 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Do these hold up any better than the previous models?

No.

I purchased a Dri-Tac at the beginning of last year, just for my driver (so a club I use, at most, 14 times in a round)...and it was visibly worn after two seasons.  I play maybe 20 rounds a year, and practice at most once a week.  No bueno.

- John

I have to say that I really liked the regular Dri tac grips but they wore out pretty quickly. I decided to switch over to these wraps last year  because of the cushioned feel. Unfortunately there seems to be gaps where the seams run that my fingers would really feel the vibration. I won't be getting these again it, happened with multiple clubs. It almost like not having a grip at all. I will agree that they feel really good out of the package and on the club but there were times during impact where it felt like there is no cushion. I can't say that I would recommend these if you have hand issues.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

11 hours ago, iacas said:

This x 10. :-)

Not to derail this thread, but do PURE grips ever wear out? I just finished season 4 with one set and there's no sign of them wearing out. One of the best recs ever from The SandTrap.

Colin P.

14 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

No.

I purchased a Dri-Tac at the beginning of last year, just for my driver (so a club I use, at most, 14 times in a round)...and it was visibly worn after two seasons.  I play maybe 20 rounds a year, and practice at most once a week.  No bueno.

Driver is the worst club for a Dri-Tac. Too much torque.

The OP wants the soft feel of the Dri-Tac - IMHO, that is GP CP2 Pro or Wrap. Yes, Pure Pro are also soft and are fine on the course with a glove in the heat and last a long time. But if you sweat heavily, like i do in the summer in TX in 100F and humidty, and don't want taper ... well, I chose another grip. We're all different. Find what fits you and your conditions.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

On 11/30/2017 at 7:48 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Dri-Tac Wrap Standard

I have these exact grips  (grey and blue model, but, you know..  same thing)..    had them put on at the beginning of the summer.   27 rounds and probably 70 trips to the range.   still in perfect shape.   

maybe 1 season isn't enough to test "durability", but so far so good.  

Edited by lastings

:tmade:  - SIM2 - Kuro Kage silver 60 shaft
:cobra:  - F9 3W, 15 degree - Fukijara Atmos white tour spec stiff flex shaft

:tmade: - M2 hybrid, 19 degree
:tmade: - GAPR 3 iron - 18degree
:mizuno: MP-H5 4-5 iron, MP-25 6-8 iron, MP-5 9-PW

Miura - 1957 series k-grind - 56 degree
:bettinardi: - 52 degree
:titleist: - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Putter

check out my swing here

On 11/30/2017 at 6:48 AM, Bucki1968 said:

Dri-Tac Wrap Standard

I used the Winn Dri-Tac Wrap grips several years ago.  I really liked them, but they barely lasted a season.  They would get a little slippery when wet, as well.

For about the past 5 seasons since, I’ve been using the Golf Pride Tour Wrap.  Super happy with them, maybe another option for you to consider.

I have Dri-Tacs on my irons and hybrids. For driver and FWs, I have Golf Pride Multi-Compounds (stock with clubs, although build up to midsize).

I have nearly two full seasons with the current Dri-Tacs, the Midsize. Possibly the Midsize are more durable than slightly thinner Standard? (Note: weight difference is only a couple of grams).

Also I wash them about every six weeks in season with mild soap and a soft brush.

That was last season. This weekend I found a source for Pure grips, and have 11 DTX Midsize on order. DTX has a firmer feel than Dri-Tacs without being hard. Like the textured feel.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

I have Dri-Tacs on my irons and hybrids. For driver and FWs, I have Golf Pride Multi-Compounds (stock with clubs, although build up to midsize).

I have nearly two full seasons with the current Dri-Tacs, the Midsize. Possibly the Midsize are more durable than slightly thinner Standard? (Note: weight difference is only a couple of grams).

Also I wash them about every six weeks in season with mild soap and a soft brush.

That was last season. This weekend I found a source for Pure grips, and have 11 DTX Midsize on order. DTX has a firmer feel than Dri-Tacs without being hard. Like the textured feel.

Good luck with the DTX - tore up my hands on a demo club.

I've been using Dri-Tacs Midsize for a while now, and really like them. On my older set, they didn't show wear, but did get hard and slick after about 4 years. 

20 hours ago, Mr. Desmond said:

Good luck with the DTX - tore up my hands on a demo club

Jerry, thanks for the warning.

I play with with a heavier Bionic StableGrip golf glove, so hopefully that will help. Our pro suggested I might get better (lighter) grip pressure with firm rather than soft grip. This is one reason I'm switching from DriTac to Pure-DTX.

I'll send you a PM report once I try them out.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

16 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

Jerry, thanks for the warning.

I play with with a heavier Bionic StableGrip golf glove, so hopefully that will help. Our pro suggested I might get better (lighter) grip pressure with firm rather than soft grip. This is one reason I'm switching from DriTac to Pure-DTX.

I'll send you a PM report once I try them out.

I think they will work with a glove. I was in MA and not wearing a glove. Afterwards, I thought about it, and decided they'd be okay with a glove. I went from Dri-Tac to several options - leather, Lamkin UTx, Lamkin Z5, and finally decided to bite the bullet with MCC +4. Cord, no taper. But did order 3 of the the new Lamkin Black Cords with the red line in back - I have a problem.

• Administrator

I play the DTX without gloves and they're fine. Way better than corded grips are for your hands.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!