IGNORED

How Much Do You Pay Per Shot?

Golfingdad
Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Piggybacking off of @Piz cost per yard thread and the old "at least I'm getting my money's worth" joke we all tell when we're knocking it all over the park, I thought I'd start a thread to give everybody a chance to ponder how much each shot costs them.  So, here are three questions, and feel free to answer one or all:

1. How much money do your shots each cost you, on average?  If you belong to a club, it's just one extra step to estimate you're average cost per round depending on how much you play per year.
  2. What do you think is the most you've ever paid per shot in one single round?  Did you shoot 69 the one time you played Pebble?
  3. And, lastly, what is the least you've ever paid per shot for a single round?  Did you shoot 120 at your local muni on a weekday afternoon when it was $11 for 18 holes?

Let's hear it!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To kick it off by answering my own questions:

1. I typically play a few different courses and pay between $40 and $90, with an average score in the low 80's, so I'll estimate that I average about 85 cents per stroke.
  2. I played Kapalua Plantation last year but got a little bit of a discount off the rack rate of $299 by purchasing a 2 courses in 2 days deal so I think that yesterday was probably my high.  I paid the out of town price to play Torrey South and I shot an 88, for an average per shot cost of $2.73.
  3. If the local pitch and putt counts, which is a par 29 9 hole course, I think this is where I've gotten the most for my money.  I have shot par there and the cost for 9 is, IIRC, like $12.  So that comes to about 41 cents per shot.

I suspect many of you not in Socal will have some very low answers to #3. ;)

If I were to count only my membership course, it would be about a nickel per stroke.

Membership is $100, I play every weekend for about 5 months (20 rounds) and I average around 100 strokes per 18 holes. 100/2000 = .05. (I've probably played more than 20 rounds but that's close enough)

Counting other courses, about quarter per stroke. 

Greens fees are about $20- $30 for 18 holes @ 100 strokes per round. 25/100 = .25.

Jon

1. I don't often pay for my golf, but adding up various tournament fees from the last year for me and dividing by the total golf I play you could say that my average cost per stroke is $0.33 apiece. 
  2. In a single round? That would be one of my tournaments where the cost per stroke was $3.205 each
  3. Since most of the golf I've played is free (course employee) it would be $0 a shot, but if we're saying you have to have paid something for the golf then my record low would be when I was a junior and played for $5 while shooting more than 60 for the round, so ~$0.08 a shot.

OK Jon

You do mean 100 per month right ??? Surely that's not 100 per year. That Caberfae Peaks that you play at is worth more than what I pay at Paris Landing State Park. I'm guessing I pay 600 or so per year. 

At any rate I'm out there most every day. They aren't  making much off of me at the golf course, however they do make it up in property taxes!! Ain't life Grand!

Edited by gmc1950s

The most expensive round I played was $45 at The Flint Golf Club (private).  That was $0.55 / shot

The cheapest round I played was a free round for winning a Facebook drawing. 

I have a membership at a local club.   I paid $1100 for unlimited golf but only played 39 rounds there, 3297 strokes for $0.33 / shot.

I played several other courses throughout the year.   Total about $1250.   I had 7235 strokes or about $0.17 / stroke.  

I guess for the year, I averaged about $0.22 / shot

27 minutes ago, gmc1950s said:

You do mean 100 per month right ??? Surely that's not 100 per year.

Jon will confirm this but I believe he said it was $100 / yr.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

25 minutes ago, gmc1950s said:

OK Jon

You do mean 100 per month right ??? Surely that's not 100 per year. That Caberfae Peaks that you play at is worth more than what I pay at Paris Landing State Park. I'm guessing I pay 600 or so per year. 

At any rate I'm out there most every day. They aren't  making much off of me at the golf course, however they do make it up in property taxes!! Ain't life Grand!

http://caberfaepeaks.com/golf/membership-info/

No Bob, it's $99 per year... unlimited. And since I almost always walk, that's what I pay for golf unless I play another course or decide to ride. It's only a 9 hole course.

Jon

Does this factor in the cost of balls? That would get very expensive for me :whistle:

1. I'm going to estimate about 54 cents per stroke, based on my average score and with the cost of the out-of-county card so I can play at the county rate added to the cost of the round.

2. Not really sure. I've never shot really low nor have I played at a really expensive course so nothing to increase the cost/stroke.

3. Pretty sure I was paying $19 to walk 18 weekday mornings back when I was a 25, notched a few 100+ stroke rounds back then, so < $0.19 a shot.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I am going to assume it is strokes vs green fees only. Not adding in the price of course bought gear, beverages, foods, and tips . 

At my home course, walking, I pay about $0.25 a shot. About a quarter of that would be for putts. 

At places with higher dollar green fees, probably some where around $5.50 +/- per stroke could happen. 

Other times my cost per stroke would be zero,  while being comped by others. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

It's threads like this that make me wish that I was a high handicapper playing at the local dog track... :-( 

• Like 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

27.5 cents per shot last time out; but that was with the Tuesday/Thursday senior discount.  It would have been .33 otherwise.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It's threads like this that make me wish that I was a high handicapper playing at the local dog track... :-( 

Don't be a hater....:whistle:    We only get to play about 8 months / yr where you can play all year.   But our more expensive courses are usually cheaper to play than your more expensive courses. 

We go out of our way to find discount golf.   This year we went to Treetops, played the par 3 and two rounds of golf, lodging and breakfast for $149.   

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

1.  Just counting the cost of the golf, no balls, other consumables, or any other associated costs...  $350/month dues + $23 cart fee.  103 rounds so far in 2017 at an average score of 81.8.  Grand total =  $0.78/stroke.  :~(

2.  I paid $300 to play TPC Sawgrass a couple of years ago and shot 78.  $3.85/stroke.

3.  Back when I was in the service, my annual membership to 2 military courses was $150 for unlimited golf. I probably played 75 rounds a year and an average score a bit under 85.  Call it $0.02/stroke.  You just can't beat that!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

41 minutes ago, David in FL said:

You're right, not a day goes by where I don't thank my lucky stars that I suck so bad at this game I can compete in the coveted lowest cost per stroke competition. :beer:

In all seriousness, because it's cheap doesn't automatically make the course crappy. I've played a couple supposedly higher-end courses and was left underwhelmed. Nothing on a national top 100 list, but courses charging $50-$60 greens fees for worst condition than my home "dog track".

Now, lower prices do attract the riffraff and repel the snobs... kind of a bonus in my opinion.:offtopic:

• Upvote 1

Jon

1. I pay about $45 per round, and I average 81. That's $0.555 per shot. 
  2. That would be when I played Pinehurst #2 and shot a 95. It was $3.57 a shot.
  3. There's a local dog track out here that I used to play somewhat often. I would do the super twilight for $27 with a cart and shoot in the high 90s. Just say I shot 95, and that would be $0.28 a shot.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

On the typical public courses I play, probably 70 cents per strokes

At the club I was at last year, probably $1.25 per stroke. 

I played TPC Sawgrass about 6 years ago. I spent about $2.90 per stroke. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I pay $1800 yearly and average out to about $.22 per stroke. I only play roughly nine holes per round because of the heat in the summer this year and the cold in the winter months as well. I guess I turned into a fair weather golfer. It used to cost me about $ 0.10-0.12 per strike.

I rarely play any course other than my home course. 

Note: This thread is 2288 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!