IGNORED

Buying 1 or 2 generation old clubs to save money

Note: This thread is 2292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No reason to spend the extra money.  Make sure the shaft (the engine, imho) that comes along with the used club is up to snuff.

Driver: Taylormade M3 (9o) with Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 Stiff-flex shaft.  3-wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB2 (15o) with Fujikura Regular-flex

3H: Tour Edge (18o) with R-flex 80g shaft.  4H: 22o  Taylormade Rbz Stage 2 with R-flex shaft.

Irons (5-PW): Titleist 804os with True Temper reg. flex shaft.  Wedges: 50o deg Titleist SM-7 12o bounce F grind, 56o (bent to 54o) Cleveland RTG sand wedge, Cleveland RTX-3 CB 58o wedge 9o bounce.

Putter: TaylorMade Ghost Monte Carlo w/Super Stroke 2.0 grip

17 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

I don't like to buy used clubs, I do like to buy previous years model new.

I agree. Older models already have a track record, and the technology doesn’t change too much from one year to the next.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I won't buy used equipment, but I occasionally find good deal on new equipment that has been replaced by a newer model. I just picked up a Srixon F45 fairway wood off of Rock Bottom Golf for $70. I actually looked at getting one about a year and a half ago. Didn't pull the trigger because they wouldn't do PUD.

Great little club that I hope will fill the gaping hole in my bag left by my current 3 wood which is a bogey waiting to happen.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Some interesting testing done on the last 5 years worth of drivers from Taylor Made (20, yes 20, drivers in the last 5 years for the company). They are tested on a launch monitor, and the results show very little gain in the newest drivers. 2014 SLDR actually tested out as the longest and there was a 7 yard gain from the 2012 driver to the 2017 M2. Seems buying a few generations ago equipment will do most of just fine.

Similar tests also have been done for the major manufacturers. 

Edited by gogolfing

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

My favorite clubs were all bought new, but outdated. I got 3 tight lies 2 hybrids for $39, $49, and $29. I also got a tight lies 2 3 wood for $39. All were still in the plastic. 

Used clubs and year prior models are fine for me. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

I don't think that you are losing much, if anything, with going with a club that is a generation or two old. The more important thing is whether or not that club fits you.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

I have always went with spending more money does not always equal better results. I think this is especially true when buying golf clubs. The brand matters little, and is more of a personal (mental?) thing. 

In the OP's case, pocket book wise, it might be easier to get better $50 dollar results, than better $189 results. Will the final scoring numbers be worth the extra $139 difference over time? 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have purchased both new but a model year older and used if the club looks in great shape.  If you have it and are buying used on the internet use PayPal in case their is a problem.  I agree that a year or 2 older model has an established track record and in many ways is a safer buy.  Actually, I still play the Ping G15 driver that I purchased new when the G30 was already on the market.  I have tried most of the next generation Ping "G" drivers including the G400 and hit them about as well as the G15.

I think what is Most important that The club specs are what you need,  not The amound off money you spend. If a 50 $ club does iT for you than there is no need to spend more. I like to have The same feel on my woods so i would like The same Shaft type in them

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Note: This thread is 2292 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!