IGNORED

Time for blades?

Note: This thread is 2076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello TST Universe.

Most of you guys know I'm basically a Tour Edge Exotics staffer... (Running joke). 

My question is as I have taken a couple free lessons thus far, and a fixed a lot of my swing issues so far... 

I'm looking to go to blades (I've even looked outside of Tour Edge at this.)

Before you say... Shane you're an 8.1 you aren't ready... My instructor and I have been working on getting my strike more consistent. Which is closer to the sweet spot now. Less weak toe hits.

So these are the irons I'm looking at:

Screenshot_2017-12-18-02-03-56.thumb.png.c83751a092a225b0ef0f58298d83350d.png

I know some of you guys will think I should go Titleist 718 or Mizuno MP-18.

The basic question is: Can I handle a blade?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It depends on what you mean by "handle"...

Can you play it, and still enjoy the game?  Sure.  

Are you likely to maximize your ball-striking results?  Very doubtful.

Will your overall scoring average rise as a result.  Very likely.

Would it be dumb to switch?  Not at all.  If doing adds some intrinsic value that helps you enjoy the game more, then who cares.  Have fun!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The answer is probably not. 

But those are mighty pretty...

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I thought about splitting the difference and getting these instead (both are the same price).

Screenshot_2018-01-18-20-16-56.thumb.png.5328396ff315fe9609025d1f9578ed7e.png

Or some sort of blended set of the two anyway. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

I played blades for about 6 months before I sold them. Not because of the club head but because I didn’t like the shafts in them. You’ll notice off center hits more, and will be shorter than a newer tech iron, but they’ll look cool and if you enjoy it then go for it. You’ll be able to work the ball more if you would like to. 

After seeing the new set of Callaway blades @iacas has, id make the switch to them in the future when my AP2’s wear down. Very sexy club. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

I still have my set of "ancient" Tour Edge V-Blades from 2000, that I will NEVER sell. They go to either Alina or Zoey when I pass on with the provision that they are to remain in the family.

I do want to be able feel my misses. It seems like with my EXi's it seems it feels the same when I miss as when I hit a good shot. I need the feel. I looked into clubs and like AP2, JPX-EZ forged, MP-18 SC, Callaway X Forged, Taylormade P750 and 770 and the lot... And don't get me wrong they are on the radar... But if I did a forged cavity back with forgiveness, it would probably be the Exotics CBX Forged. The CBX blade 7-iron my fitter has (he is trying to get a few different heads and shafts)... I hit 5 shots on the LM and it's only 5 yards behind my 32° 7-iron and it's 3 degrees weaker lofted... (Maybe my free lessons have paid off, my strikes are much much closer to center and closer together)...

So I'll revise my question, Would I benefit from a forged cavity back iron so I can get the feel, but not lose the forgiveness of my current irons? And could I play blades, in the short irons (say 8, 9, PW)?

What's in Shane's Bag?     

• Administrator

Just get 'em. Life's too short. :-)

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

36 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I played blades for about 6 months before I sold them. Not because of the club head but because I didn’t like the shafts in them. You’ll notice off center hits more, and will be shorter than a newer tech iron, but they’ll look cool and if you enjoy it then go for it. You’ll be able to work the ball more if you would like to. 

After seeing the new set of Callaway blades @iacas has, id make the switch to them in the future when my AP2’s wear down. Very sexy club. 

@kpaulhus, it's actually funny, a friend of mine sent me a $300 gift certificate to a place down in the Binghamton area, that has a GC2 and I chose to use it on 5 one-hour lessons, and my instructor is actually basically fixing my path so I can draw the ball.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

I play some Nike VR Pro combos which are forged cavity backs, I'm a big fan. I think they would offer someone like you increased feel while maintaining forgiveness. FWIW, I also think they tend to look great. I hate seeing a clunky iron behind my ball, even if I knew it would improve my mishits. 

David in Fl and Iacas are spot on. If you want to do it, do it.

These are my predictions:

Your handicap will not likely change much if any, as a direct result of the switch.

Your best shots will likely be better and feel awesome.

Your worst shots will be a lot worse.

Your dispersion on average shots will be measurably larger with blades vs game improvement irons.

As you know, cavities in 3-5 or 6, and blades down is an alternate position.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

As a long time blade user, I have to chime in. I am now on my 5th set of blades. My first set were older Hogans, my second set were Mizuno MP30s (what an improvement) my third and fourth were Titleist blades, and I have had Callaway Apex MBs in the bag for 3 years now. I love blades and hope there is never a day when I need to go away from them. IMO blades are just better, the feel, the look, the playability, all of it. There is nothing like the feeling of a crisply struck shot with a forged blade.

My thoughts about blades differ from some people's opinions on this subject. First, you are an 8.1 and most likely strike the ball well enough to play blades. Modern blades are not near as harsh as the muscle backs of the 70s and 80s. People think they are so hard to hit, with a repeating swing of a single digit handicap, they aren't. Mishits will ring the hands more than you are accustomed to, but I doubt very much you will notice any drop off in your ball striking or your scoring once you switch and get a few hundred balls under your belt. I didn't notice any difference when I switched, in fact my ball striking and scoring improved. You will, however, notice a bit of a loss of distance due to the fact that most blades are not lofted as strong. 

Anyway as @iacas said life is short, those clubs are beautiful, get them and enjoy them. 

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Looking at the specs of those CBXBlades, the AW seems very unusual.  The loft is only 3 degrees weaker than the PW.  At the very least most manufacturers stick to a 4 degree progression, but often go to 5 degrees for the wedges.  Also the length is the same as the PW, which should make the distance gap even smaller.  Finally the lie angle is 0.5 more upright than the PW even though they are the same length.  Many people prefer slightly flatter lies on their wedges to avoid the pull, but here they went the opposite.

Maybe there is a design trick up their sleeve, but the above would have me getting my own AW at 51 or 52.

I know I'm in the minority, maybe its because I'm younger and didnt grow up in an era when blades were your only iron choice, but I'm not a big fan of the looks of the traditional blade irons like the Titleist MBs for example. I have never hit a blade iron so I cant comment on the feel, and obviously looks are purely subjective so if you want them, get them! 

I will be getting a new iron set in the next year or so. I dont really need them, but I want them :-D

Edited by klineka

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV

Looks at address aside; how the club performs is the only important factor.  Older blades, with zero or negative bounce, exact an extreme penalty when the pass is slightly fat.  Otherwise they work just fine.  Newer blades are more "turf friendly" and are likely to perform as well as any other design...provided one makes a decent pass.  It's analogous to hitting off a mat: a teensy fat is no cause for alarm.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

23 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The basic question is: Can I handle a blade?

Uhhh... wrong question Shane! ;-)

The relevant question is.. can you handle the CBX Blades (or MP-18s) better than you can handle the EXi irons you have right now?

What benefit will the blades give you over the EXi set? I guess you could try them out and see. Then you would know. (Could you buy a CBX 4i and 7i and then buy the rest if these two work OK?)

• Thumbs Up 1

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 hours ago, WUTiger said:

Uhhh... wrong question Shane! ;-)

The relevant question is.. can you handle the CBX Blades (or MP-18s) better than you can handle the EXi irons you have right now?

What benefit will the blades give you over the EXi set? I guess you could try them out and see. Then you would know. (Could you buy a CBX 4i and 7i and then buy the rest if these two work OK?)

@WUTiger, the main issue when I played my V-Blades was the high weak shot to the right. With the lessons I've had, and drills I've used with these lessons, that miss is basically gone. (I had a few the other day that just didn't draw).

To answer your first question, I learned to play this game with blades, my family didn't have the money for new tech Cavity-backed irons when I started. But to be honest, I can handle blades equally as well as a cavity-back. (I'm a person who believes it's the person swinging the club, not the club itself)

Second question: Feel. Yes, I believe that my forgiving irons are great and have helped my game get better. But solid contact isn't that much of an issue for me anymore. Height has never been an issue. (I hit the ball high with any type of iron). I don't mind being able to feel my misses. In fact, I think it's great feedback. 

Are my EXi's holding me back? No. Am I ready for a less-forgiving forged blade? I think so. 

Like I stated above, I may end up with the CBX Forged (cavity back model), so I still have some forgiveness, but I get the feel I'm looking for. My fitter as of right now, only has the CBX blade 7-iron in AMT S300 as a demo. I guess he's in the process of getting the entire CBX line for fitting. So I'm definitely going to do some testing, and see what fits my game better. 

I was asking you guys more to see, if an 8.1 with more consistent contact, would be able to play a blade.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

14 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

... the main issue when I played my V-Blades was the high weak shot to the right. With the lessons I've had, and drills I've used with these lessons, that miss is basically gone. (I had a few the other day that just didn't draw).

If the ball-striking is there, go for it. If you hit it square most of the time, the tighter distance dispersion from blades/Player's clubs could give you more 10-foot as opposed to 25-foot birdie putts. GI irons have a looser range dispersion than Player's.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Note: This thread is 2076 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!