IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

Uplifting topic.... I'm hitting my driver, wedges, and putting well. We won't talk about my irons. I have a lesson scheduled to sort out that mess.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My irons, wedges and 4W plays better than expected nowadays! Distances are dialed in and the ballflights are getting pretty consistent. Happy days! 

Putting. I need to put in a couple of hours hitting those 4-6 footers with more confidence (To many wasted opportunities there). My LAG-putting is good though and I see very few 3-putts. 

My driver-swing is totally off and I can't wait to finally get an hour with a Pro to work on that. Hopefully it's just a couple of small adjustments...  

In the bag: Callaway Mavrik SZ 10,5 driver (X stiff), Cobra King 4 wood (Stiff, 2006 model), Callaway Mavrik irons 4 - P+A (stiff), Cobra King Pur wedges 52, 56 and 60 (stiff) and Odessey white steel putter.  Very happy with the set and the gapping. 

• 3 weeks later...

I think the best thing about my golf game is that I'm not really bad at anything. I don't really excel at anything, but aside from occasional dips I don't have a terrible part of my game. 

A good example would be my chipping. It had been deteriorating a little bit at the end of last year and my first round out this year it was terrible. However because I had been okay at it before I know I can do it again, and I've take some time to work on it, and it seems like I may have figured something out. I just need to get back out again to see for certain.

• D1-SIM MAX D 9° Diamana pd 50 reg lofted down 1 click 
  • D2-SIM MAX D 10.5° project x riptide cb 50 reg lofted up 2 clicks
  • 5w- Radspeed motore f3 
  • 3H- Tour Edge Exotics e722 kbs hybrid stiff
  • 4-5h tour edge exotics ex9
  • 6-AW- Cleveland launcher xl Nippon Zelos 7
  • 56°-Cleveland CBX Zipcore
  • P-Odyssey eleven tour lined slant neck

• 2 weeks later...

I was swinging too fast and not finishing my backswing. The Pro said, "Let your backswing mature." That got through my thick skull. Good advice. 

Bill M

• 4 weeks later...

I am making real progress toward a more powerful, consistent swing.  When I keep focused and minimize my wrist and hand action from my swing, I am bombing the ball.  I have been hitting towering drives that have been finishing 270 to 300 yards away from where they started, and I am now hitting my irons two clubs farther than a buddy that I was two clubs shorter than.  I'm hitting my i210 five iron farther than he is hitting his TMB 716 3 iron.  When I avoid cranio-rectal insertion, I am hitting some really nice wedges into the greens.

I played one hole - over two rounds - three under this past weekend.  Birdie-Eagle.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

• 2 weeks later...

The offseason has been fruitful for me because i"m getting more distance from my clubs.  Two rounds so far and have multiple 300+ drives, and feel like my irons are going further because on approach shots my ball is either ending up on the back of or over the green.  I feel like it's a combination of better ball striking because of I've finally listened to be freer with my swing and not try and hit the ball as hard as I can and getting stronger in the winter.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm not having any "distance problems". I've taken a couple of lessons. When I take the lessons everything seems to work fine. The pro just makes a couple of small adjustments, and I practice them. In my practice sessions I hit the ball well for the most part until I get tired - I'm 70. There are mishits, but I know exactly what I did when those happen and fix it. It's - I didn't get my weight shift forward enough. I know about hitting off mats - if I hit the ball a little "fat", that's when I didn't transfer weight forward and the club face shut slightly at impact and the ball goes lower and hooks left. It's consistent when that happens. When I get through, it's a nice high draw. We diagnosed that in a lesson. 

But for some reason, I'm doing something differently on the golf course than I am on the practice range. Next time I play, I'm going to ask a playing partner to take a video of me so I can compare it to what I'm doing at the driving range. And I can show these videos to my instructor. Hopefully the video at the course is one of my less than good shots. I want to see the error. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• 1 month later...

I played golf with a disabled veteran this weekend. Not only do I have so much respect for our soldiers who fought for this great country but it was inspirational watching this guy. It was fun round and we had fun. Puts things in perspective how lucky we are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm, I've actually gotten longer with age (thanks SuperSpeed) and am capable of turning a bad round around.  But gone are the days when all scores were within 6 or 7 stroke window, and being able to get up and down from anywhere.  

- Peter Garrison

My little boy has worked very hard all summer and breaking through. Playing incredible and suddenly scoring in 70’s every round from back tees. It’s actually hard to believe.. he’s barely a teen and the hard work is paying off. Proud dad and really enjoy seeing him elevate. He had a ton to work on and he stayed at it so hard this season. Don’t blink.

• Like 1

Not sure if this fits the topic but, since I've gone back to school (work) I've gone back to the week-day afternoon 9 hole round once a week. Normally it's almost always playing by myself but I have to say that it is has become very therapeutic. I won't bore you all with the absolute mess that the educational system is right now so it's really nice to "decompress" walking 9 holes in the evening. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

Stay fit everyone. I had a surgical procedure a while back and I couldn't believe how much my fitness deteriorated until I could get back to working out. Scary, particular for someone my age. But I'M BACK!😃

• Like 1

Bill M

3 hours ago, Bucki1968 said:

Not sure if this fits the topic but, since I've gone back to school (work) I've gone back to the week-day afternoon 9 hole round once a week. Normally it's almost always playing by myself but I have to say that it is has become very therapeutic. I won't bore you all with the absolute mess that the educational system is right now so it's really nice to "decompress" walking 9 holes in the evening. 

Thank you for being an educator. I know it’s a tough time to be a teacher with all this going on. There are still many of us who appreciate those like you serve for the better.

• Thumbs Up 1

Played and scored a full round for the first time in somewhere around 2 years. It legitimately went way better than I feel it had any right to. That's not to say I played well by any means, but I expected way worse by a long way. Only thing that let me down was exactly what you'd think, short game. Ball contact was pretty solid (for me), but directional control was not so great. Hoping to get in a few more before the weather turns on us. Actually have a good sized garage now, so maybe I'll finally get that indoor hitting area set up to work on things through the off season.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Hasn't been much to shout about lately as far as golf goes, but I had something of a first a few days ago.

I drove the green on a par 4 for the first time ever. Naturally, it was a shorty, but the 275 yards it covered is pretty rare for me. The fact that it went straight is even more rare.

Now, about those pesky wedges. ... Ah, never mind. 

My positives:

Have finally stopped jumping from method to method and trying to fine tune what I have. This includes looking for a good instructor here in the Twin Cities and practicing with a purpose. 

I generally only play 9 holes but my scores lately have been mid 40's (which was where I was consistently a couple of years ago) where I was between 48-52 most of the year. 

Finally, and most importantly,  every time I play my playing partners are my wife, my father in law who lives with us, and my 3 year old daughter. That I get to share the game I love with my family means the world to me. We let my daughter putt after we finish a hole. She'll put her ball an inch from the cup, putt it in and say I got a 3. I'm a lucky man. 

• Like 1

BO THE GOLFER

In my Top Flite stand bag:

Driver-Ping G400+ 10.5 degrees regular flex Hybrids-Ping I25 17 & 20 degrees stiff flex Irons-Ping I3 O-size 4 through lob wedge regular flex Putter-Nike Oz 6