IGNORED

Your Golf Game - The Uplifting Topic

iacas

Played yesterday with a buddy at a course I haven't played in a while. It's under new management and the conditions have improved somewhat, although I could hardly imagine them getting any worse. The last outfit was an absolute disaster! Anyway, I shot 40-42=82 for the round and left the course kind of disappointed. 

After the 40 on the front, the way I started the back made me hopeful that I could shoot in the 30's and break 80 for the second time this season. That hasn't happened in a while! That was until I totally butchered the par 5, 17th. Hit a not so good drive in the left rough, but not far enough to reach the lake that runs down most of the left side and wraps around behind the green. Instead of taking my medicine I tried a hero shot and dunked it in the drink! I dropped and then took my medicine. This still left me only a partial wedge to the green, I had the pitch going dead at the flag, but hit it a little too hard and it went over. I was lucky it stopped about a foot from the water or it could have been much worse. I chip on and 2 putt for an 8! 

So I'm kicking myself pretty good after the round. This morning, sitting at the kitchen table with my coffee and sports talk on the radio, I started thinking about the round again. And I came to a different conclusion. After that yack job on 17 it would have been easy to give up. But I went to 18 tee and hit one of the better drives I've hit it in a while. According to the GPS it was 257 yards. May not sound like much to some, but I'm 67 now and have been working hard to regain some of my lost distance. I was tired of a "good drive" being 220! 93 yards to the flag and I stick a wedge 10 feet away hole high, graze the left edge of the cup with the birdie putt leaving myself a 6" tap in for par. 

I was able to put my blow up hole in the rear view mirror and play the next hole the way I wanted to. That's not always easy to do. My buddy's Son lets a bad hole, or even a bad shot get to him. His attitude and game go right in the crapper! 

Golf gives you a chance to do better 18 times a round! Not many games like that. I can't wait to get out again!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had a nice time today golfing with my Granddaughter. We played 9 holes on "her home course" . 

She was a bit down in the dumps because she didn't qualify for Monday's varsity tournament. We talked about her best golf days were still a head of her. Freshman envy I guess. 

On the first tee she asked "so what are we playing for?" I told her a pitcher of beer, figuring I would destroy her mental prowess right off the bat. "You're on" was her reply.

Now my mental game was taking a double take. I've been out of highschool for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure 13 year old, highschool fresh are not into beer yet.

She told me she needed a stroke a hole, and that she would be playing from the women's tee, and that I would be playing from the tips. 

Now I am really thinking. This time last month this young lady didn't know very much about golf. Yeah, a few long swing lessons with the course pro, and some short game stuff from me, some months ago. Trying to keep my competitive face on, I was. 

Oh yeah, that she would be driving the cart......huh?

Long story short she netted a 44, while grossing a 53. I think I was conned out of my own hdcp, but still won with a 41. 

I was pleasently surprised at her game. I don't what youngsters her age shoot for good scores. I thought something in the 60s would have been decent. I asked her how she missed qualifying for Monday's tournament? She said she scored 51, and needed a 48. 

As we were heading off the course, she told me I was going to have to wait on that pitcher of beer. For about 7.5 years. A little personal relief on my part. However, she was up for an ice cream, and soda. My treat. 

What can I say. She now owns me. 

• Like 2

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 minutes ago, Patch said:

Had a nice time today golfing with my Granddaughter. We played 9 holes on "her home course" . 

She was a bit down in the dumps because she didn't qualify for Monday's varsity tournament. We talked about her best golf days were still a head of her. Freshman envy I guess. 

On the first tee she asked "so what are we playing for?" I told her a pitcher of beer, figuring I would destroy her mental prowess right off the bat. "You're on" was her reply.

Now my mental game was taking a double take. I've been out of highschool for quite a while, but I'm pretty sure 13 year old, highschool fresh are not into beer yet.

She told me she needed a stroke a hole, and that she would be playing from the women's tee, and that I would be playing from the tips. 

Now I am really thinking. This time last month this young lady didn't know very much about golf. Yeah, a few long swing lessons with the course pro, and some short game stuff from me, some months ago. Trying to keep my competitive face on, I was. 

Oh yeah, that she would be driving the cart......huh?

Long story short she netted a 44, while grossing a 53. I think I was conned out of my own hdcp, but still won with a 41. 

I was pleasently surprised at her game. I don't what youngsters her age shoot for good scores. I thought something in the 60s would have been decent. I asked her how she missed qualifying for Monday's tournament? She said she scored 51, and needed a 48. 

As we were heading off the course, she told me I was going to have to wait on that pitcher of beer. For about 7.5 years. A little personal relief on my part. However, she was up for an ice cream, and soda. My treat. 

What can I say. She now owns me. 

She deserved at least a sniff of your beer for requiring you to play from the tips and commandeering the cart!  Sounds like a good kid.

For the past two or three weeks, I have been in a scoring slump. I normally shoot around 43-47 for nine holes. I had about a two week period where I shot 52 or 54. I just recently broke out of that slump with a 43!

• Like 1

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

Until the clocks get turned back, I can get out after work for 9-12 holes on week-nights. I usually walk as it cools down enough for me not to be completely miserable in the heat. I wish I could do it more often because two things almost always happen. I relax after a long day dealing with 11-13 year old middle school kids and I almost always play well. It's better than scotch....well....maybe. 

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

Until the clocks get turned back, I can get out after work for 9-12 holes on week-nights. I usually walk as it cools down enough for me not to be completely miserable in the heat. I wish I could do it more often because two things almost always happen. I relax after a long day dealing with 11-13 year old middle school kids and I almost always play well. It's better than scotch....well....maybe. 

It might be better with scotch!

• Like 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I get to look back at the season. It's been dismal, but not all bad. 1) I got my golf bag in order.... finally. 2) My last round I played the white tees which I never play and shot a 42 on the front 9 with 4 GIRs - downside - I had one triple. The back 9 was abbreviated due to losing my cell phone. I played the whites because I was playing with a couple of guys and didn't want to hold up the works. There was a 410 yd par 4 that was tough considering a messed up my tee shot - still managed a bogey. I got a par on a 388 yd. par 4. 3) I learned how to hit a 200 yd stinger with a 4H. Love those F9s. 4) I decided I'm going to start walking the course again. It slows me down so I don't rush. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

16 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

I get to look back at the season. It's been dismal, but not all bad. 1) I got my golf bag in order.... finally. 2) My last round I played the white tees which I never play and shot a 42 on the front 9 with 4 GIRs - downside - I had one triple. The back 9 was abbreviated due to losing my cell phone. I played the whites because I was playing with a couple of guys and didn't want to hold up the works. There was a 410 yd par 4 that was tough considering a messed up my tee shot - still managed a bogey. I got a par on a 388 yd. par 4. 3) I learned how to hit a 200 yd stinger with a 4H. Love those F9s. 4) I decided I'm going to start walking the course again. It slows me down so I don't rush. 

So, did you find your cell phone?

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

So, did you find your cell phone?

No. I didn't know about the app "Find your phone". No one turned it in. It is insured. I got a prepaid Samsung J7 at Verizon and they did a google recovery and cloned it to the J7. I filed a claim and will have brand new S9 on Monday which I'll just keep in a drawer until this J7 gets ready to die in about 2-3 yrs. Then I'll activate the replacement S9. - That'll last me 4-5 more years. We won't be getting G5 out where I live for a very long time.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I think I might be turning into a lazy golfer. Well, maybe not a lazy, playing golfer, but at least a lazy practice golfer. 

It's no secret I either play, or practice everyday. Most are practice days,  unless I go on that once a month playing binge my wife says I do, due to withdrawl symptoms. . 

I don't play/practice to get better. I continuously swing a club, to help maintain what I already have. Even at that, I still lose a little bit of game every year. It's inevitable. That said, breaking 80 occasionally is a very good feeling. 

Anyways, back to the lazy part. I have recently incorporated a new practice tool into my practice regimine. Some of you readers may already have this tool. It's called a "folding chair". Very sturdy, with a handy pocket for a beverage. Easy to get out of too, which I am finding to be an important consideration these days. 

I park at the short game area. Get my chair out, sit down under a shade tree, and take in the local atmoshere for a few minutes. Think about what I want to do. See what's going on. Maybe pull up the TST, and other websites. 

I will then get my bag out, pick out a warm up target, and club.  Hit a few warm up balls with a wedge. Then start my previously decided practice session.

Depending on what is going on in the short game area, I can practice anything from chips & 1 putts, to 100 yard approach shots to a 5 yard diameter practice green. (I tend to miss that green alot btw)

After hitting 14 balls, I take a walk to retrieve them. Note; my shag stick is a converted shag bag. The bag wore out, and I removed it, leaving me with a 14 ball shag stick, with a nice handle. (some ingenuity required)

In between a few shots, I will take a seat. Think about what I am trying to accomplish. Sometimes I will watch other golfers practice their short games. Sometimes I wish I had their swing, and alot of times I am glad for the swing I have. 

Sometimes I can see the 1st tee, which can also be entertaining. 

I usually spend more than hour on the practice range. However, quite a few of those 60+ minutes are dedicated to that golf chair. 42-56 practice/ball swings is my max limit per session 

It's a comfortable chair, as is my golf game. 

For my disclaimer, I will add that I have had no thoughts of taking this chair on the course when playing for the score. No need to, as every hole has a bench seat already......lol 

In My Bag:

In 2017, I was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in my right hand. For several years, the VA had been telling me it was an "Essiential Tremor" from the result of aging. 

I was at my regular Doctor one morning going over some test results related to my Thyroid. He said, "Why don't we look into the tremor in your right hand. It's probably nothing serious but let's just be sure." 

Six months later, a Neurologist confirmed it was indeed Parkinson's and with some other medical issues, suspect that it was the result of Agent Orange from my tour of Vietnam. 

The Neurologist said to start working out on a "Recumbent Bike." I did for awhile until my left knee started hurting and so I started playing golf. 

Playing golf, with medication, has done wonders for my tremor in that I can hold my hand steady when I address the ball and during hitting. I can still fly my airplane, writing is difficult after writing a large amount. Other than that, the tremor is not noticeable unless you see my hand shaking while waiting to tee off. 

I have lost some strength in my upper body and arms but with diet and exercise it is gradually returning. 

I started playing on "Sand Greens" and then joined a Golf Club in Hays, Kansas where I now play 2 to 3 times a week. (Grass Greens)

My goal was to break a 100. (I did earlier this summer) 

My goal was to break 95. ( I did this summer)

My goal was to break 90. ( I did a few weeks ago and seem to be able to maintain that. 82 & 84 & 88, and I usually play from the whites unless we are all Seniors and we still play mostly from the whites but do play Senior tees occasionally.)

My next goal, probably next year will be to break 80. That may take awhile but there will come a day where everything will fall into place and it will happen. 

I am 72 and never paid for a lesson. My Dad was an excellent golfer and always got me pointed in the right direction. 

Retired Old Man

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

I played Men's Senior at Fort Hays Municipal Golf Course this year. 

There were usually about 50 to 55 players every week. 

It was my first time to play in any kind of competiton/organized play since around 1970. 

It cost $5 to play, and I won just shy of $20 this summer. ( I bought me a nice golf polo shirt and my winnings paid for half of it.) Then I won another $9 prize 2 weeks ago and haven't spent the money yet. 

We just finished with the last Senior Men's Tournament playing a 3 man scramble. 

My team placed 3rd. (18 teams, I think) We were 3 over par. So, we each won $6.50. 

Retired Old Man

Callaway Rogue Driver, 12.5 loft, regular shaft, draw

Pure Spin 60* Loft Wedge, Stiff Shaft

Pure Spin "A" Wedge, Regular Flex

Irons are G-15 Pings, 5 iron - Pitching Wedge

Callaway Rogue 5 Wood, regular flex                        Callaway Rogue 3 Wood, regular flex

Callaway Cobra Hybrid #3 & #5

Mallet Style Putter 

Spent time this past weekend doing my annual club/bag cleaning.

I wipe down my clubs after every shot. During my golf year, about every couple of months they get get a more thorough cleaning. All this cleaning helps with longevity. 

This weekend's work involved cleaning grips, and buffing the the club heads. I use dish detergent, and a light scratch pad on the grips, which helps to regain some of the tackiness to them. Gets the accumulated oil, and grime off of them. 

I buff the heads to regain the lost luster. Just making them shiny again. I put my groove cleaner to good work. I pay close attention to the soles, to see how perpendicular the scratch lines are to the club face. This gives me a little info on my impact position. 

Cleaning my bag is an adventure in itself. Old, forgotten snack bars that made their way to bottom of the bag. That, and lost change, and forgotten trash. I found my favorite divot tool that I thought I lost at Bandon Dunes a few months ago. 

Everything gets taken out, and cleaned. Trash gets thrown away. The compartments get vacuumed. The zippers get some very light (Vaseline) lube. I check all the seams, and connecting points for stitching repairs as needed. Strap connections get a thorough look see.

Electronic stuff gets new batteries. 

I also clean, and repair the 5 head covers I use. They tend to get a little dirty. I use puppet heads on my metal woods. The "Big Dog" (St.Bernard) cover required a little stitching. 

Good thing my wife tought me how to stitch with out poking my fingers too many times. Proper tools makes this an easy chore.  

The last thing I do is give the outside of the bag a good wipe down, with a light coating of Amor All. Then I set it out in the sun to dry off, followed by another wipe down.  

Once the cleaning is all done, I do the restocking of clubs, tees, balls, divot tools,  ball marker coins, rags, shoes, gps, lazer, extra batteries,  blank score cards, and anything else I think I might need.

One of the larger compartments stays empty for that spur of the moment stuff, that might require an ice block. Like others, I always seem to miss that "NO OUTSIDE COOLERS, FOOD, OR BEVERSGES ALLOWED" signage.   

As I said previously. Clean tools, properly maintained, last longer. I'd also hate to think I lost a stroke or two, due to a slippery grip, or dirty club head. 

In My Bag:

45 minutes ago, Patch said:

Spent time this past weekend doing my annual club/bag cleaning.

I wipe down my clubs after every shot. During my golf year, about every couple of months they get get a more thorough cleaning. All this cleaning helps with longevity. 

This weekend's work involved cleaning grips, and buffing the the club heads. I use dish detergent, and a light scratch pad on the grips, which helps to regain some of the tackiness to them. Gets the accumulated oil, and grime off of them. 

I buff the heads to regain the lost luster. Just making them shiny again. I put my groove cleaner to good work. I pay close attention to the soles, to see how perpendicular the scratch lines are to the club face. This gives me a little info on my impact position. 

Cleaning my bag is an adventure in itself. Old, forgotten snack bars that made their way to bottom of the bag. That, and lost change, and forgotten trash. I found my favorite divot tool that I thought I lost at Bandon Dunes a few months ago. 

Everything gets taken out, and cleaned. Trash gets thrown away. The compartments get vacuumed. The zippers get some very light (Vaseline) lube. I check all the seams, and connecting points for stitching repairs as needed. Strap connections get a thorough look see.

Electronic stuff gets new batteries. 

I also clean, and repair the 5 head covers I use. They tend to get a little dirty. I use puppet heads on my metal woods. The "Big Dog" (St.Bernard) cover required a little stitching. 

Good thing my wife tought me how to stitch with out poking my fingers too many times. Proper tools makes this an easy chore.  

The last thing I do is give the outside of the bag a good wipe down, with a light coating of Amor All. Then I set it out in the sun to dry off, followed by another wipe down.  

Once the cleaning is all done, I do the restocking of clubs, tees, balls, divot tools,  ball marker coins, rags, shoes, gps, lazer, extra batteries,  blank score cards, and anything else I think I might need.

One of the larger compartments stays empty for that spur of the moment stuff, that might require an ice block. Like others, I always seem to miss that "NO OUTSIDE COOLERS, FOOD, OR BEVERSGES ALLOWED" signage.   

As I said previously. Clean tools, properly maintained, last longer. I'd also hate to think I lost a stroke or two, due to a slippery grip, or dirty club head. 

Patch... I do that every early Spring (Spring cleaning) but not as thoroughly as you do.  Last Spring I solved the question as to why my bag was getting so heavy.  I discovered over 120 found golf balls in there!  Winnowed it down to about 20 or so.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Patch... I do that every early Spring (Spring cleaning) but not as thoroughly as you do.  Last Spring I solved the question as to why my bag was getting so heavy.  I discovered over 120 found golf balls in there!  Winnowed it down to about 20 or so.

@Double Mocha Man I know what you mean. I remove found balls from my bag every couple of weeks. Then use them at the driving range when I get 30, or so. 

I just do this thorough cleaning once a year. 

In My Bag:

After 6 weeks of putting that was " just not right", I looked through some old notes and found my ball position had moved back too much causing pulls, pushes and flips, mostly flips.

i wasnt 3 putting, just not making any putts I expect to make.

I Played 9 holes and birdied 5 of the first 6.  Hitting putts of 6,8,10,15 and 8 feet.  Parred in from there.  Lately if it's not a tap in birdie then I'm screwed.  Really felt good to finish a good hole the right way.

14 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

found my ball position had moved back too much

My nemesis...when it's back, I start opening my stance to try to find a straight shot. Crazy! Glad you found that which was lost. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

I think I finally reached a milestone in my game. Over the last month or two I am playing noticeably better and with more confidence. For the last two years I have been playing and practicing as often as possible, including taking lessons. 

Between tweaking my swing and trying to find long clubs I could hit the ball consistently with I seemed to be making little or no progress. All of a sudden I am hitting the ball more consistently and recording lower scores.

I know that’s how it works in most things - grind until “the light comes on”. But it’s nice to know I wasn’t just wasting my time. Very encouraging, and I am enjoying the game more now.