IGNORED

No Laying Up's detailed indictment of CBS tournament coverage

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This was written in 2016, imho nothing's changed. I don't agree that NBC is that much better and sound like a broken record here but this is why I don't watch any regular events without a fast forward button, can cover 3 hours of coverage in 30 minutes  

Here’s something to consider as we dive into the 175 minute telecast: CBS presented 184 live or semi-live golf shots, between 90 and 95 commercials (depending upon your local affiliate), and a mind-numbing amount of fluff in between.

https://nolayingup.com/2016/02/21/eye-on-cbs-an-intervention/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

https://thesandtrap.com/b/the_numbers_game/network_tv_golf_coverage

So, of the 210 minutes of allotted coverage, 148 minutes were golf coverage (or not commercials, anyway). That means 62 minutes of the 210 were commercials, or a whopping 29.52%.

and

In two hours and 28 minutes of network golf coverage, we saw 204 total shots, 95 of which were putts (including a healthy dose of tap-ins). That averages out to only 1.47 shots per minute of coverage, or roughly one shot every 40.8 seconds.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

And there's this Freudian slip

• Like 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings ....

One of the worse things about watching coverage of the regular tournaments is that the 18th towers announcers (Nantz-CBS or Hicks-NBC) spend a few minutes conversing with one of the execs of the chief presenting sponsor of the particular event. It's all drivel that isn't needed. For all the money these corporations spend for commercial time, it would be better if the execs themselves appeared in one or two promotional spots, briefly explain what their company is about and as well as say which local charities are beneficiaries and then take a hike and let the broadcast go on!

That's My Take!

Edited by Frank-0-Sport
wording fixes
  • Like 2

I almost never watch golf without recording it and then forwarding through the ridiculous fluff. 

John C.

In the bag: Nike Covert Driver, #3 wood and #5 Wood. Titelist AP1 710series irons regular graphite shafts. Sounder 60 degree wedge. Titleist Bullseye putter.  Prov-1 balls.

On 3/2/2018 at 11:15 PM, Frank-0-Sport said:

Greetings ....

One of the worse things about watching coverage of the regular tournaments is that the 18th towers announcers (Nantz-CBS or Hicks-NBC) spend a few minutes conversing with one of the execs of the chief presenting sponsor of the particular event. It's all drivel that isn't needed. For all the money these corporations spend for commercial time, it would be better if the execs themselves appeared in one or two promotional spots, briefly explain what their company is about and as well as say which local charities are beneficiaries and then take a hike and let the broadcast go on!

That's My Take!

I think if they are paying millions to sponsor a tournament, then a few minutes of TV time isn't a lot to ask.  Besides, if it wasn't for their sponsorships, then we have no golf to watch :(

• Like 1

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

• Administrator
On 3/5/2018 at 3:44 AM, paperclip said:

I think if they are paying millions to sponsor a tournament, then a few minutes of TV time isn't a lot to ask.  Besides, if it wasn't for their sponsorships, then we have no golf to watch :(

Agreed.

I'll fast forward through the spots, but they're important and essential.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

i really wish we adopted the British standard for amount of commercials per hour. Whats crazy too is all the networks dont have it legislated on them, they just all agree that its better overall for tv watching.

I'll admit Im close to dropping cable.

The Only event I don't mind watching on CBS is The Masters. Namely because the fluff is minimal, you see a lot more action, they can't just go to commercial because the leaders are waiting 5 minutes to tee off on 13 or something. Augusta National requires them to show more golf action, so you'll probably see some second shots at 13. Maybe a couple of tee shots at 16, some putts at 15,  before they go back to the leaders. 

Regular Tour events on CBS AND NBC 2 shots, and a commercial. 18 inch putt, commercial... Leaders hit drives, commercial, some sort of piece on Web.com guy. Commercial. Meeting with CEO. Oh someone holed a wedge at 14, commercial.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Too many commercials and too many putts. I’d rather see half as many putts and twice as many tee/approach shots.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

11 hours ago, onthehunt526 said:

The Only event I don't mind watching on CBS is The Masters. Namely because the fluff is minimal, you see a lot more action, they can't just go to commercial because the leaders are waiting 5 minutes to tee off on 13 or something. Augusta National requires them to show more golf action, so you'll probably see some second shots at 13. Maybe a couple of tee shots at 16, some putts at 15,  before they go back to the leaders. 

The Masters is unique, though. Augusta National controls the broadcast and the advertising. If it was up to CBS, the Masters would be the Superbowl of golf.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, billchao said:

The Masters is unique, though. Augusta National controls the broadcast and the advertising. If it was up to CBS, the Masters would be the Superbowl of golf.

That what FOX thinks the U.S. Open is. Though it was better last year, they went commercial free from 16 onward for the final group. 7.5 hours of coverage 3 hours of commercials.

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Commercials are what make it all possible on the PGA Tour.

Until we go to a subscriber-based system.  And even then, the volatility would be severe. When Tiger's hurt, purses would come down immediately.  When he's back, they'd shoot up.

Note: This thread is 2205 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!