IGNORED

Dilemma with old wedge...keep for prctice or sell

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dilemma with old wedge...keep for prctice or sell  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Dilemma with old wedge...keep for prctice or sell

• Keep!
    • Get rid of it!
    • Either or.
    • Donate to a poor Nigerian in an internet bar.

I recently picked up a new 60° wedge at the end of the season and the other wedge is now left to be either gather dust in the corner, sold  or used for range practice. When I practice at the range I generally just hit to landing areas due to the relatively beat up and dry-er greens there so spin is not real important. This would make take the thousands of practice shots off the gamer. The only negative is that I have another club hanging around. Weigh in on the topic! Tia.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unless they're Vokeys, i find that wedges dont really resell well. Your new one could break, be misplaced, stolen etc.. Just keep it as long as it isnt cluttering up your life. Doesn't hurt to have a backup. I burn through my 52 and 58 degree wedges every 18 months or so if I'm playing and practicing regularly, but i always keep my previous set. Just in case. 

As the owner/operator of a retirement home for old wedges; I can sympathize.  Do I kick them out into the cold, cruel, world - or keep them around?  They aren't worth jack...so that isn't an issue...but I don't use them either.  Some are cool, historical, etc...some are not.  I keep them. When I drop off the twig someone else can sort it out.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

My pro takes old clubs, cuts them down, regrips them and gives them to kids. Figures he is growing the game. Often a dad will be at the range with his kid who just wants to swing a club and maybe hit a ball. The used clubs are available for them too.

4 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Unless they're Vokeys, i find that wedges dont really resell well. Your new one could break, be misplaced, stolen etc.. Just keep it as long as it isnt cluttering up your life. Doesn't hurt to have a backup. I burn through my 52 and 58 degree wedges every 18 months or so if I'm playing and practicing regularly, but i always keep my previous set. Just in case. 

It is a vokey. Might be able get 50 out of it.

58 minutes ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

My pro takes old clubs, cuts them down, regrips them and gives them to kids. Figures he is growing the game. Often a dad will be at the range with his kid who just wants to swing a club and maybe hit a ball. The used clubs are available for them too.

Not sure a 60 degree wedge is the right club for a kid though.

Edited by Valleygolfer

I'd keep it. If it's similar to your new one, then you can use it for practice, at least until you meet a poor Nigerian in an internet bar.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

3 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'd keep it. If it's similar to your new one, then you can use it for practice, at least until you meet a poor Nigerian in an internet bar.

It is pretty much the same. Maybe a slightly different grind.

3 hours ago, Piz said:

As the owner/operator of a retirement home for old wedges; I can sympathize.  Do I kick them out into the cold, cruel, world - or keep them around?  They aren't worth jack...so that isn't an issue...but I don't use them either.  Some are cool, historical, etc...some are not.  I keep them. When I drop off the twig someone else can sort it out.

Retirement home for old wedges is the funniest thing I have read in a very long time!

9 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

It is pretty much the same. Maybe a slightly different grind.

Yea I'd definitely practice with it.

9 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

If you're not going to play with it, why on earth would you practice with it?.

To keep the grooves on the new one from wearing as quickly. 

• Like 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

15 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

I recently picked up a new 60° wedge at the end of the season and the other wedge is now left to be either gather dust in the corner, sold  or used for range practice. When I practice at the range I generally just hit to landing areas due to the relatively beat up and dry-er greens there so spin is not real important. This would make take the thousands of practice shots off the gamer. The only negative is that I have another club hanging around. Weigh in on the topic! Tia.

Mount it on the mantle over the fireplace like an old harpoon at a maritime museum.:-P

I would use it as my range wedge. The grass ranges around here are pretty sandy.

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

12 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

It is a vokey. Might be able get 50 out of it.

Not sure a 60 degree wedge is the right club for a kid though.

Thats not bad. If you can get $50-$60 bucks for it, then go for it if you're confident you wont need a backup. 

Edited by Groucho Valentine

Grooves, to me, would dictate whether I keep the wedge or not.  Now, if it had been a wedge you use purely for bunker practice, have at it.  But for pitching and chipping, I like to be as consistent as possible between range and course.  New grooves and old grooves had dramatically different effects on spin.  I know you said it would be used purely for carry practice, but I'd still give it away if the grooves are worn down.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

I would donate it to youth golf.  Some kid short of funds but wanting to play golf will appreciate the gesture.  I do this with a lot of my used clubs.  

• Like 1

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

14 hours ago, billchao said:

Yea I'd definitely practice with it.

To keep the grooves on the new one from wearing as quickly. 

Meh, I don't know that I'm buying this. How young are you? How many wedges do you h it per day? Seems to me that you have to get a little extreme to  wear out the grooves on a wedge.   eh

9 hours ago, Fourputt said:

I would donate it to youth golf.  Some kid short of funds but wanting to play golf will appreciate the gesture.  I do this with a lot of my used clubs.  

Best idea I've heard so far. Kids always need clubs, especially specialty clubs.

40 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

Meh, I don't know that I'm buying this. How young are you? How many wedges do you h it per day? Seems to me that you have to get a little extreme to  wear out the grooves on a wedge.

Seriously? You've never heard of grooves wearing on a wedge? Do you even golf, bro?

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

11 hours ago, billchao said:

Seriously? You've never heard of grooves wearing on a wedge? Do you even golf, bro?

Buckeye is a little out of touch...don't get him started on electronics....

Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!