IGNORED

Consider What a 20% Ball Roll-Back Would Mean

iacas
Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I average a 220-230 yard carry with my driver now. Lets call it 225. Scale that back 20%...and I would be carrying the ball 180. I want NO part of carrying the golf ball 180 yards. NO PART OF IT. The point about making the tees obsolete as they are now is even more spot on. I seek tees that average about 6300. 20% off of that? 5040 yards!? No thanks. The ball is fine, they should leave it the heck alone. 

Edited by HJJ003
  • Like 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks for writing this up!

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

This is very similar to an article I read yesterday, which I should have posted in the distance thread.

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/nicklaus-ball-rollback-17680.htm

Makes a lot of the same points as you do here, although not in as much detail. But the point is the same - a 20% rollback of the ball for everybody would be a death blow to golf. Hitting the ball a long way is fun! And speaking as someone who loses distance whenever he travels to play golf, it sucks hitting the ball 240 instead of 260. And I'm not a huge fan of the idea that I'll go down to ~210 with a 20% rollback.

Edited by DeadMan

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Actually, Jack is not off base on this one.

Only 0.3% of the golfers will ever have to possibly look for their balls. The rest of them can just walk up a few steps to find them. Rolling back the ball 20% is going to kill the ball industry, but who cares about them, right? Personally, I'd just continue to use range balls and pay my club for them. Cheap balls and no more lost balls. What  great idea! :-D

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks for posting. I agree totally that rollback will be detrimental to the game. 

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Actually, Jack is not off base on this one.

Only 0.3% of the golfers will ever have to possibly look for their balls. The rest of them can just walk up a few steps to find them. Rolling back the ball 20% is going to kill the ball industry, but who cares about them, right? Personally, I'd just continue to use range balls and pay my club for them. Cheap balls and no more lost balls. What  great idea! :-D

You had me with the first line, but that was funny in the end, @Lihu. :-)

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

How would this 20% reduction effect pace of play? Seems to me shortening the ball, and others aspects of the game would move golfers' along faster.

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

6 minutes ago, iacas said:

You had me with the first line, but that was funny in the end, @Lihu. :-)

Heck, they'll even have to roll back most range balls too. :-D

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, Patch said:

How would this 20% reduction effect pace of play? Seems to me shortening the ball, and others aspects of the game would move golfers' along faster.

It would have a small effect. A bit less walking, fewer lost balls (they wouldn't go as far offline).

But slow golfers are still going to take 60 seconds to hit a shot when it should take 20, they'll still park the cart by their partner instead of going to their own ball after dropping him off, they'll still forget their wedge on the far side of the green and have to go back to get it, etc.

Oh, I also forgot: golf courses would be a lot less crowded, because golfers would quit en masse, and those that stayed would have to pay extra to cover the course renovations needed. :-P So that would also have a positive effect on the pace of play. :-P

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Another point: rolling back the golf ball by 20% will also really hurt equipment manufacturers. Assuming a 220 yard driving distance, with 10 yard gaps. Look what a rollback does to these clubs:

• Driver - goes from 220 to 176
  • 3 Wood - goes from 210 to 168
  • 5 Wood - goes from 200 to 160
  • Hybrid - goes from 190 to 152
  • 4 Iron - goes from 180 to 144
  • 5 iron - goes from 170 to 136
  • 6 iron - goes from 160 to 128
  • 7 iron - goes from 150 to 120
  • 8 iron - goes from 140 to 112
  • 9 iron - goes from 130 to 104
  • PW - goes from 120 to 96
  • GW - goes from 110 to 88
  • SW - goes from 100 to 80

220 is probably above average driving distance, too. If you drive the ball less than that, your gaps will become even more compressed with a 20% rollback.

Who is really going to buy 14 clubs with those gaps? You'd buy one, possibly two fewer wedges. I think you'd probably only carry one wood. It makes a lot of sense to only have odd number irons. Hardcore golfers will still buy 14 clubs, but more casual golfers probably won't. That is going to hit the equipment manufacturers, who are already struggling, pretty hard.

Plus, do you really want to hit a freaking 4 iron when you're 140 yards out from the green?

A 20% rollback makes zero sense for all golfers. There's only a scintilla of sense in the idea for PGA Tour players, but I still think it's a terrible idea.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• iacas changed the title to Consider What a 20% Ball Roll-Back Would Mean
  • Administrator

Whispering Woods, from 6804 yards (the back tees), would effectively play 8,505 yards from those same tees.

If you wanted to roll back to the mid 90's, you'd only need a 7% decrease in distance. Distance has not increased, in percentage, the amount they think.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Maybe a lot of people are bad at math. Or maths. So many have problems calculating tips, which is de facto 20%.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Note: This thread is 2241 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!