IGNORED

2018 Masters Tournament Discussion Topic

iacas
Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

The 2018 Masters  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the 2018 Masters?

• Tiger
    • Jordan, Dustin, or Rory
    • Someone else in the OWGR Top 15
    • Someone not listed above
  2. 2. Where does Tiger finish?

• First
    • Top 5
    • Top 10
    • Top 20
    • Makes cut, nowhere near contention
    • MC

I would definitely say Spieth's third at 12 in 2016 was a worse shot than any of Sergio's. Difference is that Spieth played safe with his next and went long rather than make the same mistake.

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, I get it. He's talking more about execution than the strategical part of it. That if you take all his shots on that hole to a driving range, they are all good shots. And if he tried doing the same thing over and over, hoping for different outcome, he did a good job. All shots that went in the water were pretty similar.

By the way he answered in the interview, it sounded like he tried hitting the same shot over and over until the ball would lie still. If that's true, it must've been a short circuit on his and his caddies part. When you hit a shot that ends up in the water, why would you try hitting the same shot over and over, hoping for it to get lucky? After the first two shots you know there's a high probability it will happen again. Why wouldn't he try hitting it a few yards farther to increase the chances of not spinning it back into the water? If he actually tried hitting it farther on the next shots, he clearly missed his target. Not terrible shots, but still a miss.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Just now, Zeph said:

Yeah, I get it. He's talking more about execution than the strategical part of it. That if you take all his shots on that hole to a driving range, they are all good shots. And if he tried doing the same thing over and over, hoping for different outcome, he did a good job. All shots that went in the water were pretty similar.

By the way he answered in the interview, it sounded like he tried hitting the same shot over and over until the ball would lie still. If that's true, it must've been a short circuit on his and his caddies part. When you hit a shot that ends up in the water, why would you try hitting the same shot over and over, hoping for it to get lucky? After the first two shots you know there's a high probability it will happen again. Why wouldn't he try hitting it a few yards farther to increase the chances of not spinning it back into the water? If he actually tried hitting it farther on the next shots, he clearly missed his target. Not terrible shots, but still a miss.

Yep - definitely think the caddie carries some of the blame. I think it was the fifth one, when the camera panned back to him, when he already had a ball in hand and was dropping. At that point, the caddie has got to slow him down and make him think.

I think the other question is why you'd drop that far back in the fairway? I get that it allows them to bring it in high and stop it, but surely from closer, he'd at least guarantee getting it over the water...

Still gutted for Sergio - loved everything about his win last year

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

18 hours ago, b101 said:

He just hit the same shot over and over again. Literally landed it pin high 5 times and rolled it back into the water 5 times. Don't know why he didn't learn or just play safe after the second one.

I think this was some kind of version of a tantrum.

Instead of dropping down to  PW or gap wedge and hitting one in w/less spin he stubbornly kept hitting the same high-spin shot in there pin high.

He's gotten way more mature in later years but he still has his petulant moments.

I see where he says they were all good shots.

I think that's like saying a smoked driver 330 yrd dead straight on a 130-yd par 3 is a "good shot."

What a maroon.

14 hours ago, Shorty said:

For everybody. So what's the difference?

If anything it might favour the players down the list because they finish earlier and the leaders get the bad weather later as that's when it arrives usually.

I think I'm reflexively miming when the announcers say when there's bad weather, the leaders have an advantage because it's harder to score. So another thing I need to unremember.

Cool low cut ball flight from Mickelson

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Phil's approach on the first was pretty nifty. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Poor from Rickie given where he was.

I gave Mickelson grief for explaining BFL unclearly, but clearly he knows how to shape the ball like nobody's business, he's just not good at explaining to me how to do so.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here's a fun statistic. Tiger has only shot in the 60's on a Thursday at Augusta one time.

tigermasters.png

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Spieth makes a mess out of the first hole today.

1. Loses tee shot right.
2. Advances it 89 yards, 86 left to hole.
3. Hits it just short of the green, 20 yards to hole.
4. On the green, but doesn't reach the hole, 11 feet left.
5. Misses putt.
6. Makes putt.

And suddenly he's back to a tie for the lead. Ouch. Great news for everyone else out there, but what a lousy way to start round two.

Edited by Zeph

Looks like Rory just holed a 30 footer on the second for birdie after being out of position. Result :-)

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Zeph said:

1. Loses tee shot right.
5. Misses putt.
6. Makes putt.

And suddenly he's back to a tie for the lead. Ouch. Great news for everyone else out there, but what a lousy way to start round two.

Yay!

Not rooting against Spieth, but rooting for "not a runaway win."

• Like 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Yay!

Not rooting against Spieth, but rooting for "not a runaway win."

Exactamundo!

Steve

8 minutes ago, Zeph said:

1. Loses tee shot right.
5. Misses putt.
6. Makes putt.

I am sure that made @onthehunt526 happy! ;-)

3 minutes ago, b101 said:

Looks like Rory just holed a 30 footer on the second for birdie after being out of position. Result :-)

That's a nice way to bounce back after a bogey on the first.

And Rors into a share of the lead. Happy days!

Note: This thread is 2228 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!