IGNORED

2018 Memorial Tournament Presented by Nationwide

Frank-0-Sport
Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Well, my hopes are now all with Ben An then.

• Like 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ben An went with a iron off the tee into the fairway,,,,,,,,  Bryson again hit 3 wood to the same spot

4 minutes ago, b101 said:

Well, my hopes are now all with Ben An then.

i think Ben An, has the momentum to win this tournament, 

lol.............. or maybe Ben doesnt want to win this one

ya know, i dont think you could make up everything that has happened on these playoff holes 

It is what it is

Wow!  I don't think I could have thrown it that accurately from there.

I still don't understand how such a huge swing can produce such a short shot.  Is the rough that bad or is that a technique that he'd be able to do at my home course around the green?

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Unreal from Ben An. We'll look past the annoying two drops (annoying in that we never get them)

Just now, Shindig said:

I still don't understand how such a huge swing can produce such a short shot.  Is the rough that bad or is that a technique that he'd be able to do at my home course around the green?

They are just very, very good. That flop shot is a must on tour given how often they short side themselves. Oh, and their rough is way worse than ours, so he'd be better on our courses.

P.S. Damnit Bryson.

• Upvote 1

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

1 minute ago, b101 said:

Unreal from Ben An. We'll look past the annoying two drops (annoying in that we never get them)

if that isnt the truth.....

3 minutes ago, Shindig said:

yes and yes....  since the ball is in the rough and is probably propped up a bit by the grass, you open the face of the wedge and just try to skim the face of the blade under the ball....   go on youtube and look up flop shots and you'll see a bunch of them...  Phil is the master of the flop shot

It is what it is

Too bad the goof ball pulled it off. I was pulling for An. Hopefully De(Sham)beau will give a normal post round interview and not try to impress anyone with his nonsense. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

was hoping for Rose, but i'm pleased the Scientist managed to win of those 3. I can tell from the comments that he isn't everybody's cup of tea, but I personally love the thoughtful approach and I'm thrilled to see it pay off.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Joaquin Niemann finished tied sixth (with Justin Rose) and has picked up enough Fed Ex Cup points to achieve Special Temporary Member status. This will allow him to receive unlimited sponsor invites, and to use an unlimited number of Top-10 exemptions. His next goal is to earn enough points for Top 125 Equivilancy, and thereby earn a PGA Tour card for 2018-19.

2018 Memorial -- Final Scores, money and points (ESPN) -- This will show zero points for Niemann because he is a non-member, but he did earn 95 points, six more than he needed going into the Memorial.

36 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

Joaquin Niemann finished tied sixth (with Justin Rose) and has picked up enough Fed Ex Cup points to achieve Special Temporary Member status. This will allow him to receive unlimited sponsor invites, and to use an unlimited number of Top-10 exemptions. His next goal is to earn enough points for Top 125 Equivilancy, and thereby earn a PGA Tour card for 2018-19.

2018 Memorial -- Final Scores, money and points (ESPN) -- This will show zero points for Niemann because he is a non-member, but he did earn 95 points, six more than he needed going into the Memorial.

Huh, I didn't realize non-members were limited in how many top-10 exemptions they could use.  Of course, enough of those and they get the equivalency anyway. 

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

(edited)
26 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Huh, I didn't realize non-members were limited in how many top-10 exemptions they could use.  Of course, enough of those and they get the equivalency anyway. 

In any given PGA Tour season, a non-member player with no status of any kind is limited to seven sponsor invitations and five Top-10 and Ties exemptions. Those restrictions are removed when the non-member achieves  Special Temporary Member status. This is done by earning at least as many Fed Ex Cup points as earned by the 150th player on the previous season's (2016-17) Regular Members points list.

Here's an update (June 3 2018) on Joaquin Niemann's 2017-18 status from GolfChannel

Edited by Frank-0-Sport

• Administrator
50 minutes ago, Frank-0-Sport said:

In any given PGA Tour season, a non-member player with no status of any kind is limited to seven sponsor invitations and five Top-10 and Ties exemptions. Those restrictions are removed when the non-member achieves  Special Temporary Member status. This is done by earning at least as many Fed Ex Cup points as earned by the 150th player on the previous season's (2016-17) Regular Members points list.

FWIW @Shindig, I think if you finish top ten in five events, you're probably gonna have earned enough FedEx points that you've gotta be pretty close to 150th the previous year and thus have the  restriction removed.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Nice to see Bryson add another PGA tour win to his resume.  Not sure what about him rubs some the wrong way.  Is it that he's a physicist, an SMU grad, his derby cap, that he measures and discards golf balls having more than 60mg out of balance, or that his shaft lengths are all the same (whaaat!!)?  I think he's a great addition to the burgeoning pool of early 20's PGA players. I'd love to be sitting at the adjacent table eavesdropping on he and Phil having a technical discussion about golf.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Fun win for B.D.  Good player with a lot of power and a steady approach.

Playoffs/ playoffs/playoffs - it's the new rule for pro golf.  The Women's Open - Also a great tourney.

Bill - 

39 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Nice to see Bryson add another PGA tour win to his resume.  Not sure what about him rubs some the wrong way.  Is it that he's a physicist, an SMU grad, his derby cap, that he measures and discards golf balls having more than 60mg out of balance, or that his shaft lengths are all the same (whaaat!!)?  I think he's a great addition to the burgeoning pool of early 20's PGA players. I'd love to be sitting at the adjacent table eavesdropping on he and Phil having a technical discussion about golf.

he's a physicist, - I'm p sure he's not actually a physicist.

an SMU grad, - eh

his derby cap, - definitely

that he measures and discards golf balls having more than 60mg out of balance, - yup

or that his shaft lengths are all the same - and there's another...

Colin P.

• Administrator

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Worst thing about watching Sunday was Patrick Cantlay.  His pre shot routine is ridiculous!

When Johnny Miller is on commentary he totally rips him apart.  :beer:

6 - 8 foot wiggles ever time he putts gets real annoying... the feet and waggles when he has his driver... I can't watch when he is in one of the lead groups.

• Like 2

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

13 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

Worst thing about watching Sunday was Patrick Cantlay.  His pre shot routine is ridiculous!

When Johnny Miller is on commentary he totally rips him apart.  :beer:

6 - 8 foot wiggles ever time he putts gets real annoying... the feet and waggles when he has his driver... I can't watch when he is in one of the lead groups.

Faldo was busting on him also...Said you could make a "coffee" while waiting for him to hit. Then proceeded to order a double macchiato or something, well before hit the ball...

• Like 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

Mere technicalities.  He was a Physics major while at SMU and opted to turn pro largely because of sanctions levied against the golf program.  Personally, I think he should have finished his degree, but can hardly argue the high likelihood that he will earn significantly more money on tour.

Callaway Razr-Fit 8.5 Driver | Callaway GBB Warbird 3W | PingEye 2 Irons (2-PW) | McGregor Jack Nicklaus SW | Ping B61 Putter

Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!