IGNORED

LPGA's Lincicome will play in PGA Event in July

MrGolfguy67
Note: This thread is 2101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

57 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

If nothing else, and I'm in agreement with most, she won't make the cut, she may inspire other younger girls to take up the sport.  That would be something positive

I think she'd inspire a lot more young girls if she won a few more LPGA tournaments. She seems like a class act, and I always like to see her play well. I still remember a hybrid she hit about 225 on the 18th to win a major with an eagle a few years ago. That was inspiring. This just seems pointless to me. It's been done years ago, her playing in this event is like the tree falling in a forest when nobody is there. 

Edited by GrandStranded
  • Like 1

PING G400 Max 9*  Taylormade  M2 15*  Callaway Steelhead XR 19* & 22*   Callaway Apex CF-16 5-GW  Callaway MD3 54* & 58*  RIFE 2 Bar Hybrid Mallet 34"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Good on her for having the (metaphorical) balls to play alongside the boys. Sure, barring something crazy happening she probably wont make the cut (hope i stand to be corrected) but fair play.

13 hours ago, GrandStranded said:

I think she'd inspire a lot more young girls if she won a few more LPGA tournaments. She seems like a class act, and I always like to see her play well. I still remember a hybrid she hit about 225 on the 18th to win a major with an eagle a few years ago. That was inspiring. This just seems pointless to me. It's been done years ago, her playing in this event is like the tree falling in a forest when nobody is there. 

I think in the present social climate more girls/women will take more notice of a female golfer going up against the men than winning more on the LPGA. Look at it this way, if she wins a couple of tournaments it'll be covered on the sports news but if she makes the cut against a field of men then thats primetime news.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

On 6/7/2018 at 1:00 PM, Wally Fairway said:

Correct - this thread, on a golf board is proof that it is working. Had they given the sponsors exemption to a local player it would have made zero news impact.
Truth is that with it being opposite The Open Championship, I won't watch any of it anyway, but the media will certainly cover the first couple of days that she is teeing it up.

Yes it works on a very small scale. No sports shows are covering this in depth. I won't watch but will see the results and smugly say to myself, "just as expected." 😬

On 6/27/2018 at 4:19 PM, lastings said:

I don't know.   In 2004 Annika had a scoring average of 68.69.   That year, the bottom 25 card holders had an average of 72.52 (3.83 strokes worse).   The tour average was 71.17 (2.48 strokes works).   
(obviously, she's playing shorter courses)

Annika also had an average drive that year of 268.2 which would be tied for last with Corey Pavin.   But, Pavin was 90th on the money list adn had 2 top 10s, so it shows it is possible to compete with that distance.    And her driving accuracy of 77.7% would have led the PGA tour in 2004.    

obviously, she knows how to score, and her distance wasn't so far short that it would knock her out of contention.  

On 6/27/2018 at 6:00 PM, lastings said:

seems like an exaggeration, considering that she was tied with Corey Pavin that year in Driving distance.   The same Corey Pavin that finished T17 at that US Open I mentioned above.  

but, I understand she was probably shorter with the irons, and an extra 600 yards per course is no joke.    

All that said, she was pretty damn dominant.       Obviously not a great sample, but day 1 of her only PGA event was a 15 par, 2 bogey, 1 birdie, 71.     At a course playing at 7,090 yds.   if the range is 6900-7200, this would not be at the short end of PGA layouts.  

Day 2 she was on the cut line through 12 holes.

http://www.espn.com/golf/story?id=1557324

Again, a small (the smallest) sample size, but that doesn't strike me as someone that is completely over-matched.  

but, you may be right.   I don't know.   we'll never know.  

Pavin is well versed in PGA tour courses and had an amazing short game. You can't really compare because of the driver distance. He had to bust his ass in other areas to compete, something Brittany doesn't have to do as much of because her length helps her on Lpga set ups.

On 6/30/2018 at 11:45 PM, MrGolfguy67 said:

I believe this comment is directed at me therefore i am going to answer it. I have said more than once that her character is part of the reason she got in the tournament, not solely being a "nice person".

It was the CEO of the title sponsors parent company that stated Lincicome was deserving of her exemption "because of her ability as a golfer and her charter as an exceptional individual". That is what the man that gave her the spot in the tournament said. Part of the reason Lincicome got in was because of her character. It cannot be argued - it is a fact.

That is what her sponsors claim because they don't want someone with poor character representing them. Just a hokey political statement. I'm sure there are a bunch of golfers out there with outstanding character. It's all just justification. They are padding the backlash and establishing reasons(excuses) to have her in the field.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

3 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Yes it works on a very small scale. No sports shows are covering this in depth. I won't watch but will see the results and smugly say to myself, "just as expected." 😬

FWIW - no sports shows are talking about the opposite event, as The Open sucks up all the air time for golf this week.
However I would think there will at least be some mention of Lincicome playing in a PGA event.

As far as who "deserves" or earns the sponsors exemption, that is an easy one to answer - anyone the sponsor wants to invite. Many times it is a local top amateur, like Tiger or Jordan back in their am days, but if you want to earn your spot in the field then you should talk about Monday qualifiers. Sponsors exemptions are not about finding the best player available, or one who best has a chance to win, or make the cut.

Players play, tough players win!

Lincicome shot 6 over (78) in round 1. She had 2 really bad holes (both par 3's) where she made a double and a triple, but played the rest of the course 1 over. The leader is Andres Romero at -7.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

Round 1 in the books, the leader is Troy Merritt at -10 (62). BL has company at +6 (Frank Lickliter and Steven Bowditch) but they are not DFL, that goes to Zecheng Dou (+7).

Don't you shank no more 

I am not one who pays alot of attention to pga events. That said, I did tune in to see how the Lady did against the boys. I believe she wound up at +6. I hope she plays better tomorrow. 

As I posted before, I have no problem with an LPGA player occasionally playing in a PGA event. This event is perfect for a female, since all the bigger names are playing in The Open. It's all about generating interest in the game. 

I don't put much stock in the "she's taking away a spot from a guy" argument. Some of those guys playing, are probably taking away a spot from someone more deserving. 

I think some day, some where, viewers will be able to watch a combined LPGA/PGA event take place. The girls will play from their tees, and boys from theirs. Two separate tournaments played at the same time, on the same course. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

• Administrator
6 minutes ago, Patch said:

I think some day, some where, viewers will be able to watch a combined LPGA/PGA event take place. The girls will play from their tees, and boys from theirs. Two separate tournaments played at the same time, on the same course. 

I don't know if either tour would want that: they'd each have half the number of playing opportunities.

7 minutes ago, Patch said:

I don't put much stock in the "she's taking away a spot from a guy" argument. Some of those guys playing, are probably taking away a spot from someone more deserving.

I don't see a lot of people making that argument here. I think they're starting to understand that sponsor exemptions are special cases.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Throw the 2 par 3's out and she really played a respectable round. It's a shame because those 2 holes cost her a chance to attempt to make the cut tomorrow.

Don't you shank no more 

54 minutes ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Throw the 2 par 3's out and she really played a respectable round

She did, for an LPGA player. She’s completely out of her league literally.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

3 hours ago, Patch said:

I don't watch much LPGA (I feel like I should watch more), but when I do, I get the impression their pins aren't in positions you'd see on the PGA Tour.  Specifically, they seem like easier positions -- I don't see as many ones cut close to edges or bunkers.  So I wonder how such an event would be set up -- it isn't just what tees, but where the cup is.

This could just be my imagination. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Brittany may get to play on Saturday after all.  :-$

Lengthy weather delays in Kentucky today, BL hasn't teed off in round 2 yet (4:45pm local time).

Don't you shank no more 

• Administrator
17 hours ago, Vinsk said:

She did, for an LPGA player. She’s completely out of her league literally.

Yep. I thought she might beat a few guys, but she's basically DFL. The only people behind her have played most or all of their second round, and they're only a few shots behind. She'll pass them going the wrong direction in her second round.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

Brittany may get to play on Saturday after all.  :-$

She's officially playing Saturday; 7:52am tee time 

Don't you shank no more 

3 hours ago, MrGolfguy67 said:

She's officially playing Saturday; 7:52am tee time 

Not sure if they're seeing an increase in viewership. But really, the thrill is kinda gone really. Weather delay, she won't make the cut...move along, nothing to see here.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Yep. I thought she might beat a few guys, but she's basically DFL. The only people behind her have played most or all of their second round, and they're only a few shots behind. She'll pass them going the wrong direction in her second round.

Assuming she’s finished her round tomorrow she can at least say she didn’t quit, and there are so far 5 guys that cannot say that.  (Some or all could be legitimately hurt, who knows)

Note: This thread is 2101 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!