IGNORED

How many holes/rounds do you keep a ball in play?

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How long to you keep a ball in play?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How long to you keep a ball in play?

• Multiple holes.
    • Multiple rounds.
    • Use it 'til you lose it.

How long do you use the same ball for? Multiple holes? Multiple Rounds? Use it till you lose it?

I used to lose multiple balls a round. But that is becoming less frequent. I realized today I have a ball that has been through 2 rounds. It has some minor scratches. I'll probably keep using it for now.

-Jimmy

:nike: VR_S Covert 2.0 Driver, 3W
:pxg: 0311 X (3), 0311 XF (4-6), 0311 (7-PW, 52/56/60)
:titleist: 2016 Scotty Cameron Newport Select Putter

"That tiger ain't go crazy; that tiger went tiger!" - Chris Rock

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I rarely use the same ball for more than 9 holes; it shows wear/damage after that many holes or i lose it.

Carry on my wayward drive

There'll be pars when you are done

Lay your weary wedge to rest

Don't you shank no more 

18 holes is pretty much my max for using the same ball. That is, as long as the cover stays in good shape. 

After 18 holes,  it goes into my shag collection for use as a practice ball.

I actually like playing the same ball for 18 holes. That usually means I had good control of my game during that round, which also equates to a lower score.  

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I have never completed 18 holes with one ball. The best I have done is two balls multiple times. Each time I broke 90...

Today’s balls? Until I lose it. Balata 100? 3 holes. Smiley on the cover by then.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

So long as the cover isn’t cut I use it until I lose it typically.  Balls don’t wear out so just keep playing them unless you cut the cover or it gets scuffed really bad.  The balls I use though will get some good scuff marks on them as I hit down hard with my wedges.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I once kept a ball in play for 100 holes.  When I realized it, I took it out of play and marked it as such.

Now once a ball hits about 36 holes, I take it out of play and put it into the short game practice set.  Obviously I'd take it out earlier if it's sufficiently damaged that I think it'd affect my game, but... I'm not sure even a ball that's hit a tree and a cartpath or two is noticeably worse for me than a fresh out of the sleeve ball.

• Like 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

It's a combination of lose till I lose or multiple rounds. If I'd done 2 full rounds with a ball and not lost it - unlikely though that is - then I'd probably be thinking of retiring it to the garden unless it was still in perfect condition. Kept the same ball in play for my 18 holes yesterday, and will have no problem teeing off with it again tomorrow.

• Like 1

If it is not damaged, 36 holes is my max.

I play a couple of courses; one I usually lose a ball and the other I seldom lose one.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

I've actually gotten a lot better about not losing golf balls at insane rates. I can usually keep on for 9 holes or so. Most I've made it is about 27 holes.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I don't hit the ball far enough to lose them, so it's not uncommon for me to play 18 holes with 1 ball!

Joking aside, it's mostly true.  I hit the ball really straight and keep it in play most of the time, but I'm not very long.  However, because I used to play a lot of unfamiliar courses, I would lose some on occasion.  

Typically, the ball I'm using when I hole out on 18 gets retired and thrown into the shag bag, whether I played all 18 holes with it or put it in play on the 18th tee.  I almost always start the next round with a new ball.  I have to admit the quality of the balls in my shag bag is pretty outstanding!

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

I use 'em till I lose 'em.  I'm at the level where it doesn't really matter what ball I use as I tend to lose a few each round.  I lost 3 in a 9-hole scramble last week.  I would like to get to the point where I can play one ball for a whole round or multiple rounds.  Although if I had one last a full 18 holes I might have to retire it to a trophy case. 😄

• :cleveland: Classic 270
  • :tmade: R580 3W, 5W, 7W
  • :nicklaus: Dual Point 3H, 4H
  • :nicklaus: IronMax Progressive 5i-9i
  • :cleveland: RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*
  • Teardrop TD-47 Putter

I'll pull a ball out if it's scuffed up from hitting the cartpath or a tree (happens quite often), but for the most part I'll play a ball until I lose it.

I can't think of the last time I played a full round with a single ball TBH. Even when I don't take any penalties in a round, I'll end up losing a ball by hitting a bad tee shot and playing a provisional, only to lose the provisional ball somehow and end up finding my original ball.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 6/20/2018 at 9:12 PM, Shindig said:

Now once a ball hits about 36 holes, I take it out of play and put it into the short game practice set.  Obviously I'd take it out earlier if it's sufficiently damaged that I think it'd affect my game, but... I'm not sure even a ball that's hit a tree and a cartpath or two is noticeably worse for me than a fresh out of the sleeve ball.

A ball tried to escape from me a few times yesterday as it was nearing its 36th hole.  On the 10th tee (its 28th), I thought I might have lost it, hit a provisional, and found the first one barely inbounds (but inbounds).  It behaved for a few holes, only to remind me on the 16th tee (its 34th) and the next two that I would not be scoring with it -- had to get up and down from not-even-near-GIR  for bogey all three holes.  As I put it back in the bag, I told it it has earned its retirement and will be part of chipping practice in the future.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

• 2 weeks later...

I will usually lose 1-2 balls/round on my home course.   When I finish the round and if the ball I am playing is in good shape it goes back in the bag to play again.  

Too often Ill use it for just 1 swing 😭

Never played 18 with 1 ball. Generally about 2 lost per round. Although I've been up to 5-6 on a few rounds. 

In the bag:

Driver: :tmade: '07 Burner Draw 10.5 
3/4 Hybrid: :adams: Idea a205
Irons: :tmade: Burner Plus  

Note: This thread is 2065 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!