Jump to content
Vinsk

Is It Legal For DeChambeau To Use Compass/Protractor?

70 posts / 5794 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, iacas said:

 No need for the added OT commentary.

 

I'll own that and try to check it a bit going forward (and also check which forum the thread is in).  Note it was OT commentary in response to what appears to be mostly OT commentary.

Edited by rehmwa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Unfortunately for the PGA Tour by ‘looking into it’ they’ll probably have to confront BD as to how he is using it. They’ll probably regret that conversation then realize it’s so ridiculous they’ll just let it pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, Tiga Tiga Woods Yall said:

If the hole is facing North, he knows it's uphill. South, it's downhill. West breaks to the left. East breaks to the right. Obvious advantage. 

I was making the same mistake for awhile as well, however, you are thinking of the wrong type of compass.  He was using one of these:

empire-compasses-27030-64_1000.jpg

Not one of these:

51v0rmRbnmL._SX355_.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I was making the same mistake for awhile as well, however, you are thinking of the wrong type of compass.  He was using one of these:

empire-compasses-27030-64_1000.jpg

Not one of these:

51v0rmRbnmL._SX355_.jpg

Oh, I never read any of the articles, just the headlines.  Well crap, my joke falls flat. Thanks for the info. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like him at all, but for the life of me I can't imagine how he could be doing anything wrong.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, he's just using the compass to measure distances accurately within his yardage book.

You could do the same thing with a pencil if you wanted to...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I don't like him at all, but for the life of me I can't imagine how he could be doing anything wrong.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, he's just using the compass to measure distances accurately within his yardage book.

You could do the same thing with a pencil if you wanted to...

Yeah he’s probably not breaking any rules. Not doing anything wrong....just stupid. It’s all nonsense and I wish he’d just play the game instead of all this Wyle E. Coyote/Ralph Kramden nonsense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Vinsk said:

I really just think he’s a clown. 

8 hours ago, Vinsk said:

this guy just annoys me.

4 hours ago, Vinsk said:

He’s just an ass imo.

:offtopic:We get it. You don't like the dude. That has nothing to do with whether or not it is legal for him to use the compass.

 

Back on topic, one thing I think is interesting is that he supposedly has been using a compass for a few years (according to the article) but it is just now getting noticed?? Seems a little strange to me that nobody noticed or mentioned it until now when he is probably in the best season of golf in his career thus far (4 top 5s with a victory, plus 6th in FedEx cup so far this season)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

22 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I don't like him at all, but for the life of me I can't imagine how he could be doing anything wrong.  Unless I'm misunderstanding, he's just using the compass to measure distances accurately within his yardage book.

You could do the same thing with a pencil if you wanted to...

Yeah he’s probably not breaking any rules. Not doing anything wrong....just stupid. It’s all nonsense and I wish he’d just play the game instead of all this Wyle E. Coyote/Ralph Kramden nonsense. 

Ok. Sorry...just wanted it to be clear..lol. Seriously, I’m guessing they’ll have to determine how he’s using it as to whether it should be allowed. I don’t see how it would be in any violation. Seems like something that would be done during practice rounds but not during actual playing rounds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

8 hours ago, krupa said:

There was a decision, 14-3/4 that sounds like it was intended for the directional compass:

Using the geometrical compass sounds like he's using a device to measure distance which, on the surface, sounds like a no-no.

He's using a pair of compasses. Would a ruler be banned? Or a pencil with markings on it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Shorty said:

He's using a pair of compasses. Would a ruler be banned? Or a pencil with markings on it?

I don't know; I wasn't trying to adjudicate it. I was simply pointing out that (a) the only decision I found about compasses was about the magnetic kind and (b) that on the surface, "using a device to measure something" sounds like it would be against the rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Read 14-3. It’s not helping him choose a club or do anything that is against the rules," the official said. "He is trying to find the exact spot in the book the hole is located. That would not be a breach of 14–3.

"I can’t see that he’s getting any sort of information that isn’t publicly available.”

Most recent take....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

"Read 14-3. It’s not helping him choose a club or do anything that is against the rules," the official said. "He is trying to find the exact spot in the book the hole is located. That would not be a breach of 14–3.

"I can’t see that he’s getting any sort of information that isn’t publicly available.”

Most recent take....

I don't even get why he's doing it and his reasoning is actually kind of annoying because it doesn't even make sense.  The books already have grid lines on them, so you could easily pinpoint the hole location to a spot that is much more precise than even the arrows and slopes on the grid are shown without needing a compass.

This is just another case of him being quirky simply for the sake of being quirky, IMO.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

50 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't even get why he's doing it and his reasoning is actually kind of annoying because it doesn't even make sense.  The books already have grid lines on them, so you could easily pinpoint the hole location to a spot that is much more precise than even the arrows and slopes on the grid are shown without needing a compass.

This is just another case of him being quirky simply for the sake of being quirky, IMO.

Yeah, that's pretty much my take on it.

So long as he uses it the way compasses are used… I don't think it violates 14-3.

Whatever. Ban green maps/books.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am of the understanding he is opening up his compass to a point that relates to the distance to the pin. He then draws arc, or half circle on his yardage book that shows that distance on a curve. 

He already knows the yardage to the pin. He already knows what club he will use. His yardage book also shows the hills, and valleys on the green. He might be using that curved compass line to show where the better landing areas of the green are, in relation to the pin's location. 

Just a guess on my part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

19 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

To think they said nothing about the abacus and slide rule...

abacus-640x319.JPG

indx01a.jpg

But it makes a pretty curved line to simulate break...

I was in the last class in my High School to learn to use a slide rule. Does that make me old? :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 hours ago, klineka said:

:offtopic:We get it. You don't like the dude. That has nothing to do with whether or not it is legal for him to use the compass.

 

Back on topic, one thing I think is interesting is that he supposedly has been using a compass for a few years (according to the article) but it is just now getting noticed?? Seems a little strange to me that nobody noticed or mentioned it until now when he is probably in the best season of golf in his career thus far (4 top 5s with a victory, plus 6th in FedEx cup so far this season)

Yup. Pretty sure Bryson isn't anguishing that some folks on TST have developed a dislike for him.  As for the compass use, nothing I've found in the rules makes it illegal.  Perhaps all this techy stuff he does is simply his way of staying focused.  They say 90% of the game is played between the ears. He's currently ranked #22, has some impressive hardware, and a growing bank account... I'd stay with what's working.  Next up is his hickory dowser. :-D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, fishgolf said:

Yup. Pretty sure Bryson isn't anguishing that some folks on TST have developed a dislike for him.

You keep saying stuff like this and it’s not really true.

Pros looking to make marketing dollars are concerned with how they’re perceived. TST members are representative of golfers. If half of TST members find a pro to be a douche that means something.

Anyway, I don’t care about his use of a compass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...