IGNORED

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

Wally Fairway
Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Somebody had to do it. Carnoustie, Open Championship, this thread will not be complete without this. I'll spare ya'll the video where he played the hole with a putter. 😛

Let's play a drinking game, a shot every time an announcer says 2 iron or driving iron or punch shot or stinger.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Nothing better than waking up and being able to watch a The Open.👍🏌️♀️🍳

My bag:

Taylor Made R7 (x-stiff).
Taylor Made Burner 2 irons (stiff)
Cleveland Wedges (gap and 60)
Odyssey two ball putter (white) 

• Administrator
53 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It’s a birdie barrage so far. I would have liked to have seen them at least give these greens some speed. 

The leader is at like -4, no?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

The leader is at like -4, no?

Last I checked, it was -5. Not sure what it is now. I know there were a lot of guys under par when I was watching. 

Edited by ChrisP

24 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Last I checked, it was -5. Not sure what it is now. I know there were a lot of guys under par when I was watching. 

Kisner is currently leading at -5.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Kisner is currently leading at -5.

Ok. I think it’ll toughen up with the wind picking up. It was dead calm this morning and guys were dropping in birdies left and right when I was watching. But the last 4 holes on this course are tough and will bring these guys back down a bit...as will some wind.

3 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Ok. I think it’ll toughen up with the wind picking up. It was dead calm this morning and guys were dropping in birdies left and right when I was watching. But the last 4 holes on this course are tough and will bring these guys back down a bit...as will some wind.

It's not exactly the pitch and putt people were worried about it being. Leader is -5 and a couple of people at -4, but most people hovering around one or two under and the wind has just started to kick. Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

Gotta remember this is still Carnoustie, a course where a single errant shot could cost you several strokes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

I knew it. Tigers gonna get EFFED by mother nature

Colin P.

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's not exactly the pitch and putt people were worried about it being. Leader is -5 and a couple of people at -4, but most people hovering around one or two under and the wind has just started to kick. Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

Gotta remember this is still Carnoustie, a course where a single errant shot could cost you several strokes.

Yeah I’m glad it’s not. Ill admit, I was worried it would be. A couple of the holes are but for the most part, it’s still a challenge. Not exactly a front page littered with stars, though, outside of Spieth.

Unfortunately, checking the forecast, the heaviest wind the next two days is projected to be right in the middle of Tiger’s round.

Edited by ChrisP

• Administrator
1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Was -4 when I posted. Not a birdie fest.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I knew it. Tigers gonna get EFFED by mother nature

I'm sure you'll find an excuse you're comfortable with 😜

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Yeah I’m glad it’s not. Ill admit, I was worried it would be. A couple of the holes are but for the most part, it’s still a challenge. 

I don't know why people were worried about it. Extra roll on a course like this isn't guaranteed to be a good thing. Yea it makes the course play shorter, but it's not like that takes all the obstacles out.

Here's an example: Rory and DJ both hit their tee shot on the 1st hole past the designated crosswalk. Rory's ball rolled down the fairway and took a hard right turn into a bunker. DJ's almost did the same thing but it was saved by a bit of long grass on the lip of that bunker. 

• Like 2

Bill

My Swing Thread

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm sure you'll find an excuse you're comfortable with 😜

I don't know why people were worried about it. Extra roll on a course like this isn't guaranteed to be a good thing. Yea it makes the course play shorter, but it's not like that takes all the obstacles out.

Soft greens with a shorter playing course and no rough was why I thought it would. And I do think a low score is out there if the wind is calm. But they put the pins in some tough spots today and the wind is starting to pick up just enough to cause some issues.

Edited by ChrisP

Slightly higher winds predicted in the afternoon, but from then not too much until Sunday, which could get winds up towards 20 mph.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

Here's an example: Rory and DJ both hit their tee shot on the 1st hole past the designated crosswalk. Rory's ball rolled down the fairway and took a hard right turn into a bunker. DJ's almost did the same thing but it was saved by a bit of long grass on the lip of that bunker. 

Those nasty pot bunkers!!! They also seem to have the fairway slope into them like a golf equivalent demonstration of Einstein Gravity Theory!

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Course aside, Jordan Spieth looks really comfortable out there. I think it's helped him to go under the radar a bit this week and the fact they didn't put him in a star-studded group. He seems to have struggled the most this year when paired with DJ, Rory or Tiger. 

Edited by ChrisP

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Course aside, Jordan Spieth looks really comfortable out there. I think it's helped him to go under the radar a bit this week and the fact they didn't put him in a star-studded group. He seems to have struggled the most this year when paired with DJ, Rory or Tiger. 

He's driving poorly, though. His putter has to get hot to have a chance at winning. 

Bill

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 2068 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!