Jump to content
Wally Fairway

2018 British Open Championship at Carnoustie

754 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Somebody had to do it. Carnoustie, Open Championship, this thread will not be complete without this. I'll spare ya'll the video where he played the hole with a putter. 😛

 

Let's play a drinking game, a shot every time an announcer says 2 iron or driving iron or punch shot or stinger.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It’s a birdie barrage so far. I would have liked to have seen them at least give these greens some speed. 

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing better than waking up and being able to watch a The Open.👍🏌️♀️🍳

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

53 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

It’s a birdie barrage so far. I would have liked to have seen them at least give these greens some speed. 

The leader is at like -4, no?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

The leader is at like -4, no?

Last I checked, it was -5. Not sure what it is now. I know there were a lot of guys under par when I was watching. 

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Last I checked, it was -5. Not sure what it is now. I know there were a lot of guys under par when I was watching. 

Kisner is currently leading at -5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, billchao said:

Kisner is currently leading at -5.

Ok. I think it’ll toughen up with the wind picking up. It was dead calm this morning and guys were dropping in birdies left and right when I was watching. But the last 4 holes on this course are tough and will bring these guys back down a bit...as will some wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Ok. I think it’ll toughen up with the wind picking up. It was dead calm this morning and guys were dropping in birdies left and right when I was watching. But the last 4 holes on this course are tough and will bring these guys back down a bit...as will some wind.

It's not exactly the pitch and putt people were worried about it being. Leader is -5 and a couple of people at -4, but most people hovering around one or two under and the wind has just started to kick. Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

Gotta remember this is still Carnoustie, a course where a single errant shot could cost you several strokes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 minutes ago, billchao said:

Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

I knew it. Tigers gonna get EFFED by mother nature

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, billchao said:

It's not exactly the pitch and putt people were worried about it being. Leader is -5 and a couple of people at -4, but most people hovering around one or two under and the wind has just started to kick. Afternoon rounds might not be as easy.

Gotta remember this is still Carnoustie, a course where a single errant shot could cost you several strokes.

Yeah I’m glad it’s not. Ill admit, I was worried it would be. A couple of the holes are but for the most part, it’s still a challenge. Not exactly a front page littered with stars, though, outside of Spieth.

Unfortunately, checking the forecast, the heaviest wind the next two days is projected to be right in the middle of Tiger’s round.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ChrisP said:

Last I checked, it was -5. Not sure what it is now. I know there were a lot of guys under par when I was watching. 

Was -4 when I posted. Not a birdie fest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, colin007 said:

I knew it. Tigers gonna get EFFED by mother nature

I'm sure you'll find an excuse you're comfortable with 😜

2 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Yeah I’m glad it’s not. Ill admit, I was worried it would be. A couple of the holes are but for the most part, it’s still a challenge. 

I don't know why people were worried about it. Extra roll on a course like this isn't guaranteed to be a good thing. Yea it makes the course play shorter, but it's not like that takes all the obstacles out.

Here's an example: Rory and DJ both hit their tee shot on the 1st hole past the designated crosswalk. Rory's ball rolled down the fairway and took a hard right turn into a bunker. DJ's almost did the same thing but it was saved by a bit of long grass on the lip of that bunker. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

14 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm sure you'll find an excuse you're comfortable with 😜

I don't know why people were worried about it. Extra roll on a course like this isn't guaranteed to be a good thing. Yea it makes the course play shorter, but it's not like that takes all the obstacles out.

Soft greens with a shorter playing course and no rough was why I thought it would. And I do think a low score is out there if the wind is calm. But they put the pins in some tough spots today and the wind is starting to pick up just enough to cause some issues.

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slightly higher winds predicted in the afternoon, but from then not too much until Sunday, which could get winds up towards 20 mph.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, billchao said:

I don't know why people were worried about it. Extra roll on a course like this isn't guaranteed to be a good thing. Yea it makes the course play shorter, but it's not like that takes all the obstacles out.

Here's an example: Rory and DJ both hit their tee shot on the 1st hole past the designated crosswalk. Rory's ball rolled down the fairway and took a hard right turn into a bunker. DJ's almost did the same thing but it was saved by a bit of long grass on the lip of that bunker. 

Those nasty pot bunkers!!! They also seem to have the fairway slope into them like a golf equivalent demonstration of Einstein Gravity Theory!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Course aside, Jordan Spieth looks really comfortable out there. I think it's helped him to go under the radar a bit this week and the fact they didn't put him in a star-studded group. He seems to have struggled the most this year when paired with DJ, Rory or Tiger. 

Edited by ChrisP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, ChrisP said:

Course aside, Jordan Spieth looks really comfortable out there. I think it's helped him to go under the radar a bit this week and the fact they didn't put him in a star-studded group. He seems to have struggled the most this year when paired with DJ, Rory or Tiger. 

He's driving poorly, though. His putter has to get hot to have a chance at winning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...