Jump to content
jimnm

The Match: Tiger vs. Phil Showdown for $9M

482 posts / 28066 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

On 11/26/2018 at 11:41 AM, Wally Fairway said:

So when do they announce the rematch?

 

  Reveal hidden contents

 

I have already read some things about a rematch. Rumors maybe, idk. Also read that "if" a rematch takes place, format will most likely be different. Definately no 93 yard tie breaker. More $200K holes. Also it would start earlier in the day, so they wouldn't be in competition with the sun. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

52 minutes ago, Patch said:

I can't imagine they would try it with other players; nobody brings the interest like Tiger.

Well maybe not as much as Tiger. But I’d watch DJ/Brooks, Reed/Spieth. Hell I’d watch Molinari/Fleetwood.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

11 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well maybe not as much as Tiger. But I’d watch DJ/Brooks, Reed/Spieth. Hell I’d watch Molinari/Fleetwood.

I like those pairings and would watch as well. I would also be highly entertained by having a group of regulars behind them. For instance when there was a tweet challenging Charles Barkley that he could not beat double bogey on hole 1, I would have loved to have seen him grab his clubs, do a little warm up and then play number 1. There was plenty of time in between shots to see something like this. How about a scratch and 5 handicap playing right behind from the same tees with stroke play? The problem with the pro am format it that you don’t get to actually see how these guys play on a challenging course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The whole thing is contrived for TV so why not go whole hog and change the format to create more interaction.

One possibility is what I would call doubling cube match play.  Before every shot a player has the option of doubling the hole.  If he does, his opponent can refuse, and lose the hole right there, or he can accept and the hole counts double.  And a player accepting a double retains the right to redouble his opponent before any of his further shots.  The way it works in backgammon.

Another possibility would be poker golf.  Before each shot there is a betting round, with an ante before the initial tee-off.  Then before each shot a player can check or bet.  His opponent can fold, call or raise.  This would make the scorekeeping method money won, rather than strokes or holes.

Sure it is a little Mickey Mouse, but the whole thing is pretty Mickey anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, turtleback said:

The whole thing is contrived for TV so why not go whole hog and change the format to create more interaction.

One possibility is what I would call doubling cube match play.  Before every shot a player has the option of doubling the hole.  If he does, his opponent can refuse, and lose the hole right there, or he can accept and the hole counts double.  And a player accepting a double retains the right to redouble his opponent before any of his further shots.  The way it works in backgammon.

Another possibility would be poker golf.  Before each shot there is a betting round, with an ante before the initial tee-off.  Then before each shot a player can check or bet.  His opponent can fold, call or raise.  This would make the scorekeeping method money won, rather than strokes or holes.

Sure it is a little Mickey Mouse, but the whole thing is pretty Mickey anyway.

Tiger draws crowds. Always has. I think some people including Brandlee have forgotten that Tiger was watched in awe due to his dominance in a sport very difficult to dominate. Not because of his character/personality. Despite being this powerful force in the golf world...I think Tiger isn’t the best for these kinds of events at all. Phil, Perez, Daly, Zoeller, Trevino, Player...all love this kind of stuff. I just don’t think it will produce what some people are expecting when it comes to Tiger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, mighty said:

The game has ended, you made profit off the PPV, now release the highlights for the good of the society, damn it 

????

Pretty sure they lost quite a bit of money there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, mighty said:

The game has ended, you made profit off the PPV, now release the highlights for the good of the society, damn it 

There weren’t a lot of highlights FWIW. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wasn't sure about our local service (Frontier).  But got the bill - with the refund. 

for the win

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, jamo said:

Has anyone watched the HBO 24/7 special about The Match?

I posted it earlier in the topic. I saw it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

39 minutes ago, iacas said:

I posted it earlier in the topic. I saw it.

I didn’t realize when I posted that it was from before the match so I only scrolled back a few pages checking for other posts about it 🤦‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

GettyImages-1064619864.jpg

It looks like "The Match," featuring Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson, will return in 2019. And probably...

The Match is returning in 2019 and 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...